1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First visit to a Mini dealer (and first post)

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 08:36 AM
justgeorge
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First visit to a Mini dealer (and first post)

So my wife and I went to our local Mini dealer last week; contemplating downsizing to a Countryman from our Mazda CX-7. She likes the styling, I like the gas mileage. I was surprised at how much room I had in there (I'm 6'5"); I had more leg room than my full size Chevy truck.

Our salesperson (sorry, "Motoring Advisor") was quite knowledgeable and not pushy in any way. While we were out test driving she got on their database and found a car currently on the boat that might meet our needs.

My biggest disappointment was that on all the in stock cars they had tacked on $750 for the "Quantum" package and $250 for rubber floor mats. I asked what the Quantum package was and it's paint and fabric protector - I thought car dealers had given up on that scam years ago along with undercoating?

Anyway, after going thru the "build your own" the car coming in has about $1000 more in stuff than what we would get - chrome line interior, anthracite headliner, and the Xenon lights (but not the adaptive lights). Plus if we order we'd get the red door inserts (black car) to add to the quirkiness.

I have no idea if they have any reason to discount the car on the boat vs us ordering from scratch.

Lot's of good info here on this site, I'll keep reading!

Old 01-03-2013, 08:43 AM
ACEkraut11
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just tell them that you would rather order a new car without the "Quantum" package rather than pay the $750 and I bet the package will magically be thrown in the deal.

Welcome and best of luck!

Old 01-03-2013, 08:57 AM
JoanieB
5th Gear
Order what you want, unless you change cars often. It's great to have exactly what you want, and not have what you don't want. You can still deal with them, even with an ordered car. Or, as ACEkraut11 says, tell them you don't want the extra stuff. The paint and fabric protector are added at the dealership, as far as I can tell.... they don't have to do it. Or maybe at the port?

But after buying one MINI 'on the boat already' and ordering the second one, if you can wait, my advice is to order.

Good luck!

Old 01-03-2013, 09:21 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Welcome. We had a CX-7 and had some issues with the turbo and AC so we went with a R50 for a commuter car. We traded the R50 for a CX-5 and love the practicality. I am 6'-6" myself and find both to be roomy inside but for me the Mazda is easier to get into and much much cheaper. Yes it's a bit slower with a NA 2.0 and not the turbo 1.6 in the CM, but it came down to me fitting in and the price as well as some standard features on the Mazda.

Now to your situation. I like the Anthracite headliner as the new interior plastic panels above the belt line and headliner is beige, not grey. I hate beige, you may like it... well worth the $250. But also for me the other deal breaker is the chromeline interior, I hate chrome so that is a big no-no for me.

These as well as other things I found out after owning my first MINI and have subsequently become much more picky in searching for the next one. I don't care about adaptive Xenon as the black ones don't get adaptive I don't think, but any color, adaptive or not...Xenons are a must!!!

Tell them you don't want the BS package, that is pure profit for them. Haggling for an on-lot car should be the same for an ordered car but some dealers like to play games and if they do you email another dealer and tell then what you want and ask their best offer. Car buying can easily get too emotional and there is not need, its numbers and who offers the best price in conjunction with service. It's not worth going 3-4hrs away for a car $250 cheaper IMO when you will be getting your service done at the local guy.

Last edited by yetti96; 01-03-2013 at 11:13 AM.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:23 AM
DrewN
6th Gear
You may want to consider Xenons as part of your must-have equipment. The halogens don't throw out a lot of light. There's more than a few "I need to upgrade my stock halogens to HID or Xenon" threads here.

...i.e. what Yetti said ^^

Old 01-03-2013, 09:44 AM
Yehuda
2nd Gear
If you don't want the xenons (with their required headlight washers), consider adding fog lights instead. I got them and found that they nicely supplement the low-beam halogen headlights, throwing out plenty of additional illumination.

Old 01-15-2013, 02:57 PM
justgeorge
Neutral
We finally ended up back at the dealership talking about a 2013 that is in Baltimore ready to deliver. Once we got around to price, was told full MSRP no ifs ands or buts. Really??? I know cars don't have the markup they used to but I've never paid MSRP before.

Old 01-15-2013, 03:18 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
We finally ended up back at the dealership talking about a 2013 that is in Baltimore ready to deliver. Once we got around to price, was told full MSRP no ifs ands or buts. Really??? I know cars don't have the markup they used to but I've never paid MSRP before.
Unless you are a returning MINI owner there ususally is no rebates. Its also supply and demand.

Old 01-15-2013, 03:19 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
You went to a MINI dealer ....

MINI
Name:  dragon4-1.jpg
Views: 4
Size:  103.4 KB
or
Name:  DSC00242.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  142.0 KB

Mini
Name:  miniparade.jpg
Size:  89.8 KB

compare
Name:  ChristmasMini2.jpg
Size:  179.4 KB

Old 01-22-2013, 06:41 PM
justgeorge
Neutral
Well I managed to beat them out of some "free" stripes (boot,bonnet, and roof) so we will soon be the proud owners of a 2013 Countryman! Black on black, automatic, Tech package with nav, Premium package 2, cold weather package, xenon headlights, anthracite headliner, chromeline interior, maybe a couple more little things. Oh yeah, and a Mini ballcap for my collection.

Fresh off the truck, not sure how the tires are muddy.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:46 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Congrats and good luck. Once the wraps are off post a new pic.