1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Mini Owner

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 04:13 PM
spcalan1
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Mini Owner

I bought myself a 2004 Mini a few weeks ago.
Mileage - 120,000
Automatic
Hunter Green/White with Light/Dark Brown Interior

Concerns:
The first week - this thing was super fast - even while not manually shifting... Not sluggish by any means with my first 2 tanks averaging 30 MPG.. loving it!

Then......

1. Brake Light came on and now stays on ( above steering wheel ). It needs new brakes..
2. The 'flat tire' light came on and now stays on - but no flat tire.
3. The EML light comes on sometimes, but goes off.
4. The car is now 50% the power it had and MPG is 26 MPG at best.
5. When in automatic.. the car almost cuts off when hitting the gas pedal. It is acting if I was driving a manual trans ( which I can't ).. It bucks and barely moves when in auto.
6. Now I have this loud whine noise at 4k in auto or manual.
7. The car will barely break 70 on the interstate... feels like the car is holding back. Very sluggish in manual or auto, but worse in auto.

Thoughts?
BTW - You can't beat $ 4k i paid for it, just needs some loving..

Old 02-05-2013, 03:16 PM
spcalan1
1st Gear
Any thoughts on what is going on ?

Old 02-05-2013, 09:05 PM
MINIFatherFigure
3rd Gear
Location: Perth West Australia in an industrial unit with my numerous cars.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi! Did you get an Owner's Manual with the car? If yes - read it. If no - get one. RFT's never 'look' flat - get the air pressure checked - One will be down.
I guess at that price the Service History is sad. Get a comprehensive Insp2 done ASAP. Make sure they change ALL the filters.
Once that is done put your remaining probs in the correct area and we will see what we all can do for you. Good luck with your bargain!!

Old 02-06-2013, 04:57 PM
spcalan1
1st Gear
Originally Posted by spcalan1
I bought myself a 2004 Mini a few weeks ago.
Mileage - 120,000
Automatic
Hunter Green/White with Light/Dark Brown Interior

Concerns:
The first week - this thing was super fast - even while not manually shifting... Not sluggish by any means with my first 2 tanks averaging 30 MPG.. loving it!

Then......

1. Brake Light came on and now stays on ( above steering wheel ). It needs new brakes..
2. The 'flat tire' light came on and now stays on - but no flat tire.
3. The EML light comes on sometimes, but goes off.
4. The car is now 50% the power it had and MPG is 26 MPG at best.
5. When in automatic.. the car almost cuts off when hitting the gas pedal. It is acting if I was driving a manual trans ( which I can't ).. It bucks and barely moves when in auto.
6. Now I have this loud whine noise at 4k in auto or manual.
7. The car will barely break 70 on the interstate... feels like the car is holding back. Very sluggish in manual or auto, but worse in auto.

Thoughts?
BTW - You can't beat $ 4k i paid for it, just needs some loving..

1. New brakes this coming friday.
2. The car does not have run flats...
3. EML light is now off.
4. Still very bogged down when accelerating.
5. Same when starting off.
6. Still whining.
7. Still sluggish.

No service records and no manual :(
I am going to replace filters ( air and fuel soon ). Maybe KN ?

Old 02-06-2013, 05:01 PM
mb2020
3rd Gear
Are you using premium fuel. My sister in law has same issue if she uses lower grade fuels.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:22 PM
spcalan1
1st Gear
I will change to mid/high grade to see if that works.
It almost feel the engine is bogged down. I can floor it and it never even revs high ( meaning past 3k RPM ).

Old 02-06-2013, 06:28 PM
MINIFatherFigure
3rd Gear
Use the highest grade available to you. We use 98 on our 3 all the time - no exceptions.
Get a hand book and start your own service history log (Excel is good for that). A lot of questions asked on forums have the answer in the hand book, you will be amazed! GET THE INSP2 DONE!!

Old 02-09-2013, 10:50 AM
mb2020
3rd Gear
It almost feel the engine is bogged down. I can floor it and it never even revs high ( meaning past 3k RPM ).
Spcalan,
Did you get it going? What did you find out?

Old 02-09-2013, 01:51 PM
mb2020
3rd Gear
Spcalan,

Old 02-09-2013, 07:32 PM
spcalan1
1st Gear
Originally Posted by mb2020
Spcalan,
Well I switched to 93.. No change
I did get my front brakes and rotors replaced today.
I asked the mechanic to drive it.. He says nice car but your transmission is slipping, that is why you have no power on take offs.
It is bogged down to 3k Rpms than races to 5k
But never shifts hard,just bogged down.

I may get a second opinion

Old 02-09-2013, 08:02 PM
mb2020
3rd Gear

Well I switched to 93.. No change
I did get my front brakes and rotors replaced today.
I asked the mechanic to drive it.. He says nice car but your transmission is slipping, that is why you have no power on take offs.
It is bogged down to 3k Rpms than races to 5k
But never shifts hard,just bogged down.

I may get a second opinion
Sounds reasonable, but not as easy to fix as changing grades of fuel. Hope you can get a definite solution and that it does not cost to much.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:15 PM
11engine
1st Gear
Your transmission may be in a limp mode due to a fault with the transmission or a fault in the engine management or ABS/ Traction control module. You need to take your Mini to a shop that has the capability to properly diagnose your problem. A generic OBD scan tool will probably not be able to give you the information you need.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:50 PM
MINIFatherFigure
3rd Gear
Now go wild and post your remaining problems in the correct forum. Did you get and read the hand book. Have you had a GOOD Insp2 service done? No point posting if you ignore the answers.

PS 93 = lawn mower fuel

Old 02-10-2013, 09:55 AM
spcalan1
1st Gear
Originally Posted by 11engine
Your transmission may be in a limp mode due to a fault with the transmission or a fault in the engine management or ABS/ Traction control module. You need to take your Mini to a shop that has the capability to properly diagnose your problem. A generic OBD scan tool will probably not be able to give you the information you need.

Would limp mode allow me to do 70+ on the interstate? I am second guessing the 'slipping' transmission because in automatic - wouldn't it slip hard into gear? It doesn't-- very smooth shifting in auto and manual, just bogged down with no service lights on. I may have to take it to the mini dealer and hour away.

Old 02-10-2013, 09:56 AM
spcalan1
1st Gear
Originally Posted by MINIFatherFigure
Now go wild and post your remaining problems in the correct forum. Did you get and read the hand book. Have you had a GOOD Insp2 service done? No point posting if you ignore the answers.

PS 93 = lawn mower fuel
No other problems ( since I got my brakes fixed ).. no hand book yet... no inspection ( other than having the mechanic drive it to determine transmission slipping )...

Old 02-10-2013, 11:32 AM
Kathy1946
5th Gear
No other problems ( since I got my brakes fixed ).. no hand book yet... no inspection ( other than having the mechanic drive it to determine transmission slipping )...

spcalan1
There is a "search" feature here that is a huge help. I've had many hours of Google searches etc., pertaining to different problems my MINI was having at different times. I have a manual and service records but when a problem arises it's still a problem and can sometimes be very hard to get the car "in" for inspections at certified MINI garages. Transmission problems in the earlier models can be hard to understand at times and not all of the symptoms are the same. The manual does not go into problematic transmissions. Read all that you can and the descriptions by fellow motorists.
Good luck

Old 02-10-2013, 01:42 PM
spcalan1
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Kathy1946
spcalan1
There is a "search" feature here that is a huge help. I've had many hours of Google searches etc., pertaining to different problems my MINI was having at different times. I have a manual and service records but when a problem arises it's still a problem and can sometimes be very hard to get the car "in" for inspections at certified MINI garages. Transmission problems in the earlier models can be hard to understand at times and not all of the symptoms are the same. The manual does not go into problematic transmissions. Read all that you can and the descriptions by fellow motorists.
Good luck
What it reminds me off is driving a manual trans and taking off in 2nd or 3rd gear......

Then I just realized this afternoon.... when I am in manual... and when I stop at a stop sign, it automatically downshifts.... but only down to 2.. so technically I am taking off in 2nd... hence the bogged down effect..
When I manually place in 1st.. the trans does shift 'hard' and kinda lurches into 2nd when I manually shift to 2nd ( and sometimes third )...

Thoughts ?

Old 02-10-2013, 05:46 PM
Kathy1946
5th Gear
What it reminds me off is driving a manual trans and taking off in 2nd or 3rd gear......

Then I just realized this afternoon.... when I am in manual... and when I stop at a stop sign, it automatically downshifts.... but only down to 2.. so technically I am taking off in 2nd... hence the bogged down effect..
When I manually place in 1st.. the trans does shift 'hard' and kinda lurches into 2nd when I manually shift to 2nd ( and sometimes third )...

Thoughts ?

Don't know if you've had experience with the MINI CVT. It is a lot different than what we might expect from an auto and also different than CVT's in different models even though the theory is is the same. When in manual what is the rev count, when it shifts? There are different settings, which can be implemented to imitate a standard automatic. Who knows if it's factory or adjusted settings. Mine now is totally different than my original transmission, when it was good.
My original failed and the behavior exhibited was that it would be cruising at a consistent speed and then start to "hunt" gears, while in Drive. High revs-low revs, all the while I was maintaining the same throttle position.
Yours may need a transmission fluid change. Very complicated but there is info here if you do a search on CVT transmission fluid change and adaption. My original tran had been maintained at the proper intervals and was also changed at the first sign of trouble.
I only tell these behaviors of "hunting" because that was the indicater that mine had failed and needed a replacement. Don't know if this has been something you have experienced. Try to search out MINI CVT behaviors, throttle positions-revs-fails etc.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:11 PM
mini coop
6th Gear
Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by MINIFatherFigure

PS 93 = lawn mower fuel
I think you could give this person a break. They are new and they are attempting to get answers the best that they can. Some responses have been helpful to this person. As a community we don't turn our backs on the owners with problems - no matter where they post.

Additionally, here in the States, 93 octane is a premium fuel and 98 octane is not readily available. Most of our fuel also has 10% ethanol.
This is the fuel recommended for our cars.

To the owner: Keep posting, it will all work out for you.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:59 AM
spcalan1
1st Gear
Alright update -
I switched to higher octane gas - no change.
I contacted the previous owner to just ask him his thoughts.
He called me a liar and there was nothing wrong with the car.. I didn't ask for my money back. haha

He said something like " take it to the Mini dealer and have the computer updated " ??
What does that even mean ? Sounds like a line of BS.. what is this car running off of Windows 7 ?

Old 02-21-2013, 01:27 PM
Kathy1946
5th Gear
Alright update -
I switched to higher octane gas - no change.
I contacted the previous owner to just ask him his thoughts.
He called me a liar and there was nothing wrong with the car.. I didn't ask for my money back. haha

He said something like " take it to the Mini dealer and have the computer updated " ??
What does that even mean ? Sounds like a line of BS.. what is this car running off of Windows 7 ?

So much info out there if you just do a few searches and a lot of reading. Type in a simple phrase such as, "Computor update on a MINI Cooper" and you'll get a small sample of what the computer in the MINI Cooper is and does.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:57 PM
spcalan1
1st Gear
Ok. I searched 2004 mini computer reset and did the 6 steps.
I am not for sure... but I think it may have fixed the problem. I drove it around the block and it did not 'buck' and hesitate going from reverse to drive.
Might still be a bit bogged down, but maybe it was just my head..

Will know for sure tomorrow going to work.

Old 02-22-2013, 05:49 AM
spcalan1
1st Gear
Alright.. I drove it to work again this morning.
Definitely more power and less sluggish. Going from reverse to drive still 'bucks' and feels like the engine will quit, but is better than before.

But... why would updating the ECU fix a sluggish/trans problem ?

I will keep you everyone posted.
Alan

Old 02-22-2013, 07:29 AM
Kathy1946
5th Gear
Alright.. I drove it to work again this morning.
Definitely more power and less sluggish. Going from reverse to drive still 'bucks' and feels like the engine will quit, but is better than before.

But... why would updating the ECU fix a sluggish/trans problem ?

I will keep you everyone posted.
Alan

If you go into further searches and info about MINI Cooper CVT transmissions, you'll find that computer "fixes" don't always help. If a transmission is failing-failed, Sometimes even after an ECU fix, the symptoms you experienced before, will return.
Programming the ECU can improve many instances but not prevent a tansmission fail. Certain things confirm a fail. (no improvement after fluid change-re-adaptation, etc.) Also, many other problems can contribute to the bucking, stalling, sluggishness.
A used MINI Cooper, with high miles could easily become a full time project-headache, especially on a limited budget but at the same time, I've found myself being fascinated .

Old 04-08-2013, 09:34 AM
spcalan1
1st Gear
Well I sold it ( well traded it in on a '09 Clubman S .

It didn't last 24 hrs.. now in the shop :(

Quick Reply: New Mini Owner