1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New member with SC rattle. Suggestions needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 01:50 PM
JakeD
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New member with SC rattle. Suggestions needed

New to this forum and just bought an 03 S back a few months ago 10/2012 with 83K miles. The car was great until I noticed a rattle sound coming from the top of the engine. I checked the front SC oil level (which I have read is usually not the problem, the rear is). I took off the belt and spun all the other pulleys to make sure it wasn't coming from somewhere else. I don't hear of feel anything from any other pulley. I get a little noise when I turn the supercharger.

Whats is the best way to fully diagnose the supercharger as the problem besides a stethoscope?

What other damage could be done by continuing to drive the car if I monitor the temp gauge to make sure it isnt overheating from the rear water pump gear going bad?

Where/who should I use for a SC replacement or rebuild?

Thanks for any suggestions,
Jake

Old 03-16-2013, 02:27 PM
NC TRACKRAT
6th Gear
Received 232 Likes on 169 Posts
Let's be optimistic and not fear the worst just yet. Suggest you check to be sure it's not a) the chain tensioner, b)the belt tensioner or c) the idler pulley. (Use the "search" function to read up on these potential problem areas. If you don't have a stethoscope, you can use a long wooden dowel carefully and strategically placed on various parts of the engine with the other end to your ear. Good Luck!

Old 03-18-2013, 06:33 PM
JakeD
Neutral
I took the belt off and then ran the car. No noise. So I then tore off the supercharger and started taking it apart. The rear bearing that holds the gear that drives the water pump self destructed. There also wasn't really any fluid in that rear section of the SC.

So whats my best bet here? Full rebuild?

My water pump was leaking out of the weep hole a little bit so it should be replaced. Can I just put an electric water pump on the car and not rebuild the rear pto of the SC? The same electric water pump that Sprintex kit comes with is $250 so can I just put that on and reassemble?

How much to put a M62 on instead of spending $ to rebuild my m45?

Old 03-18-2013, 06:42 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts
So whats my best bet here? Full rebuild?
Thats your only option. There are several vendors that will have some options for you.
http://www.autoxcooper.com/mini_coop...ld_service.php
http://www.waymotorworks.com/r53-por...ercharger.html
http://www.superchargertech.com/mini...rchargers.html

Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:44 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts
Can I just put an electric water pump on the car and not rebuild the rear pto of the SC? The same electric water pump that Sprintex kit comes with is $250 so can I just put that on and reassemble?
How much to put a M62 on instead of spending $ to rebuild my m45?
This has been talked about but I have never seen anyone do it.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:43 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 768 Likes on 626 Posts
Your going to need a complete rebuild, we have them in stock and ready to ship.
I won't even go into the issues with other rebuilds. And going to the electric water pump is a huge pain so it's not worth it.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

Old 03-19-2013, 02:22 PM
JakeD
Neutral
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
I won't even go into the issues with other rebuilds. And going to the electric water pump is a huge pain so it's not worth it.
Can you explain this whole rear bearing being pinned and how you all replace that. Also what kind of warranty comes with your rebuild?

Old 03-19-2013, 05:10 PM
JakeD
Neutral
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
Can you explain this whole rear bearing being pinned and how you all replace that. Also what kind of warranty comes with your rebuild?

Trying to choose which is the best route. Part of me wants to do it right and then know I shouldn't have any problems for a while.. Part of me wants to do it as cheap as possible and then sell it. I haven't had it 5 months, so this is kind of leaving me with a bitter taste in my mouth.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:04 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 768 Likes on 626 Posts
Originally Posted by JakeD
the rear bearing being pinned, and the updated seal things are marketing BS from other companies. They can't get the factory parts so they use these as reasons to use other parts.
Our rebuilds replace all the bearings and seals, gears as needed like always, and anything else to make it a good blower again, plus retiming the rotors as they have to be removed.
Ours have a 1 yr warranty.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more