1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to me R53 - My first MINI

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 10:50 AM
AlexQS
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
New to me R53 - My first MINI

Hi everyone. Just wanted to introduce myself. When I was about 12 years old I read an article in AutoWeek that Dad showed me. It was about a 1968 MINI Cooper S buzzing through San Fransisco or someplace like that. -I've wanted a Mini ever since.

Now nearly a quarter of a century later, I've purchased my first MINI. 2005 MINI Cooper S. 72k miles. ALTA Cold Air Intake. Harmon Kardon. Heated Seats. Has Chrono center guage.

Has 17" wheels, but does not have Xenon HID's. So I'm guessing it has the wheels as an option, but doesn't truely have the Sports Pak.

Not sure if it has heated mirrors. Does not have headlight washers, but has heated seats,.. so not sure if it is Cold Weather Pak, or just the seats as an option.

I plan to change the belt right away, maybe. Car Fax shows that MINI dealer performed at 67k miles "Maintenance Inspection Complete, Engine Checked". I'm not sure if that means they changed the belt or not. I left a voice mail at their service department, so hopefully they'll call back.

I'm a DIY, not professional auto mechanic, but have sucessfully been turning wrenches in my own garage for at least 20 years. Not an engine builder but I can change an axle-shaft, head gasket, remove/replace engine, remove replace clutch, pp, flywheel, th.o.b, brake jobs, etc in various vehicles I've owned over the years.

Thanks for having the forum. Very glad to find the experience, and wisdom of you folks that know a lot more about MINI's than I do.

I've poked around and read a lot. If anyone has advice as to what would check / inspect if you got a 72k r53. p.s. The right front motor mount is good (new)

Regards,
AlexQS
near Portland, Oregon
Pacific Northwest USA

Attached Thumbnails New to me R53 - My first MINI-7cdee0f533_640.jpg