1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Picked up R53, Couple quick questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 04:32 PM
AlexQS
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Picked up R53, Couple quick questions

Hi Guys,

First impressions: WOW! I love it. I can't decide which I like better, jammin' my iPhone through the awesome Harmon Kardon, or listening to the Super Charger.

OK, so a couple questions if you don't mind:
No.1 When I got home I found this small hose in the trunk. I would do a search for it, but not sure what to call it. I presume it could be a vacuume line. Maybe it could have been a hose that went with the OEM air-filter housing... it came to me with an ALTA CAI.
Do you recognize this hose? Where might it belong?

No.2 After I got home, I turned the A/C on high and let it run at idle for about 10 minutes. I notice the cooling fan coming on and off periodically, so that's good. The water temp needle seems to hold steady, just a needle width below the middle mark (as in pic attached) I turned off A/C, gave it a few more minutes at idle and the water temp needle ran up to just a needle width above the middle mark. Gently pulled out of the driveway, and temp was back to normal before the end of the block. Is this 100% normal behaviour, or is that a spike that is higher than you see in a drive through or heavy stop and go traffic?

No.3 Oil Pressure. I assume it is normal that oil pressure would dip this low (15 psi) at idle. It comes up to just below the middle mark (35 psi) by aprox 2000 RPM, and it will go much higher (maybe 50 psi) with a quick stab of the throttle or sustaining an RPM above 4500 or so.
This is normal too right?

Thanks for patience with the noob questions. Us first time owners that find good deals on great cars get nervous that its too good to be true -so your reassurance in these areas helps tremendously.

Attached Thumbnails Picked up R53, Couple quick questions-what-is-this.jpg   Picked up R53, Couple quick questions-alta-cai.jpg   Picked up R53, Couple quick questions-is-this-normal.jpg  
Old 04-08-2013, 04:35 PM
AlexQS
5th Gear
Couple more pics

I notice also this Screamin Deamon sticker on the ingnition

I see this wire harnes near left front motor mount is not attached, probably not urgent though.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or comments.

Attached Thumbnails Picked up R53, Couple quick questions-screamin-deamon-ignition.jpg   Picked up R53, Couple quick questions-wire-harnes-holder-not-attached.jpg  
Old 04-08-2013, 04:58 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts
No.1 When I got home I found this small hose in the trunk. I would do a search for it, but not sure what to call it. I presume it could be a vacuume line. Maybe it could have been a hose that went with the OEM air-filter housing... it came to me with an ALTA CAI.
Do you recognize this hose? Where might it belong?
Its hard to say but that look like a battery vent tube IMO.
No.2 After I got home, I turned the A/C on high and let it run at idle for about 10 minutes. I notice the cooling fan coming on and off periodically, so that's good. The water temp needle seems to hold steady, just a needle width below the middle mark (as in pic attached) I turned off A/C, gave it a few more minutes at idle and the water temp needle ran up to just a needle width above the middle mark. Gently pulled out of the driveway, and temp was back to normal before the end of the block. Is this 100% normal behaviour, or is that a spike that is higher than you see in a drive through or heavy stop and go traffic?
This all sounds normal. The fan will normally come on at 220 degrees or if you turn the AC on it will kick in sooner.
No.3 Oil Pressure. I assume it is normal that oil pressure would dip this low (15 psi) at idle. It comes up to just below the middle mark (35 psi) by aprox 2000 RPM, and it will go much higher (maybe 50 psi) with a quick stab of the throttle or sustaining an RPM above 4500 or so.
This is normal too right?
Oil pressure: the oil pump is driven by the engine, therefore oil pressure will increase or decrease directly with engine rpm. The higher the engine rpm, the higher the oil pressure. As you rev the engine, you will should see the gauge fluctuate. That is all normal and is how the oil pump works. The engine will have higher oil pressure when the oil is cold and thick and the pressure will drop some when the oil is hot and thin. All normal.

I hope this helps

Old 04-08-2013, 05:05 PM
AlexQS
5th Gear
Thanks. I was hoping for a reply that all is well like that. Good to know 220f on the fan.. I kinda wondered why I wasn't hearing it, but I just drove off instead.

I'll look around the battery area.

Caio,
AlexQS

Old 04-08-2013, 05:16 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts
Just remember to check your oil every 500-1000 miles as MINI's like oil. Some more then others. Always change it every 5-7500k miles IMO. Good luck.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:30 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Sounds pretty normal....
The Coil is an aftermarket replacement, and some use it in hopes of making a bit more power. The OEM coil tends to have a bit of a corrosion issue on the plugs...the OEM is nickle plated iron...most aftermarkets have brass.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:40 PM
AlexQS
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Braminator
Just remember to check your oil every 500-1000 miles as MINI's like oil. Some more then others. Always change it every 5-7500k miles IMO. Good luck.
I'll check the oil at every 2nd gasoline fill up. And I have the same thought about the frequency of changing the oil. The factory recommended interval just feels too long to me.

Alex

Old 04-08-2013, 10:43 PM
AlexQS
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
Sounds pretty normal....
The Coil is an aftermarket replacement, and some use it in hopes of making a bit more power. The OEM coil tends to have a bit of a corrosion issue on the plugs...the OEM is nickle plated iron...most aftermarkets have brass.
Thanks. I wondered about the coil, but was afraid to ask -figured I should look it up. I guessed it may be similar to some MSD Coils I've had on my previous cars.

Keep motoring.

Alex

Old 04-09-2013, 07:17 PM
Rich.Wolfson
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AlexQS
I'll check the oil at every 2nd gasoline fill up. And I have the same thought about the frequency of changing the oil. The factory recommended interval just feels too long to me.
I check mine first thing in the morning when the oil is cold. I am not sure you will get an accurate reading hot and just when you shut it off at the pump.

///Me

Old 04-09-2013, 07:27 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts
Never heard of checking oil when cold.....only seen mention in OM's to check when hot....most dip sticks had that engraved on them too.

My guess is if you check only when cold, it may also be low all the time....?

Old 04-11-2013, 12:18 AM
AlexQS
5th Gear
How to check oil.

I hope this is helpful. Have a nice day

Pg. 108 MINI Owners Manual
(c) 07/04 BMW AG

Measuring the oil level

1. Park the vehicle on a level surface

2. Switch the engine off after it has
reached normal operating temperature

3. Pull the dipstick out after approx.
5 minutes and wipe it off with a lint-free
cloth, paper towel, or similar material

4. Carefully push the dipstick all the way
into the guide tube and pull it out again.
The oil level must be between the two
marks on the dipstick.

As with fuel economy, oil consumption is
directly influenced by your driving style and
vehicle operating conditions.

** Edited to remove HTML Tags which accidently pasted into post

Last edited by AlexQS; 04-11-2013 at 12:26 AM.