1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Member in San Antonio

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 03:31 AM
nrfitchett4
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Member in San Antonio

Wow, what an informative board. Glad I didn't read too much before buying my 2007 MINI COOPER S Hatchback. Otherwise I might have backed out...
I'm a little discouraged by all the potential problems of the car, but only because I haven't been able to drive it in a few days and am getting separation anxiety...
Getting some warranty work done, ready yesterday, but schedule wouldn't allow pick up.
I just bought this 2007 with 62k miles on it. Funnest car I've ever driven and seems to have been well cared for. Car came with 3yr, 36k extended warranty (from purchase date/mileage) that covers most anything mechanical. Then 5yr, 60k powertrain coverage. Hoping that will cover most issues that might arise.

To do list (strictly mechanical/ functional at this point)
1. Make sure I don't have the "death" rattle. Going to see if the shop can measure the tension.
2. Get Recall aux. water pump taken care of. Already had it at Mini of San Antonio (horrible service) once, and they refused to fix the safety recall because of a leaky turbo line. Called NAM and filed a complaint and when they called the dealership, they told NAM that it wasn't fixed because they didn't have the part... This was the only thing the appt was for. Lied to them. Sad.
3. Add heat shield/ new air scoop for hood (sagging, glue is loose). I'm open to suggestions for what to get. Mini has an OEM heat shield. Is it any good? Seems like they would give them out to those that don't have them considering they were added later.
4. HPFP- is this really a 100k warranty repair now? Anyone shed any light on it. Read that somewhere on here.
5. OCC/ Carbon cleaning- car is running great, great power/ acceleration, but I'm sure this needs to be done. Probably will clean myself, can't see spending 600 bucks for it. Any recommendations for OCC are greatly appreciated.

Glad I found a site for mini enthusiasts. My wife thought I was crazy when I came home with it. Refused to like it until she drove it around. That changed her mind. Pics will be coming soon.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:02 AM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts
Welcome to the MINIac family. I hope pics come sooon as MINIacs don't like waiting. HEHE. Good luck and remember to wave.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:37 AM
pmsummer
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Greetings from up North (about 50 miles)!

I've never used MINI SA for service, but the folks I have met from the sales side have been extremely nice and generous. I have a friend who had a 2010 MINI R56 JCW that he bought used elsewhere, and MINI SA handled his warranty work well. Try and get on a good footing with them.

What brand of extended warranty is it? MINI's or a 3rd party? There are a couple of independent shops in the SA area that specialize in MINI/BMWs (and a MINI hot-rod shop in Boerne), and one on the south side of Austin.

Take your car to MINI SA for their $69 oil/filter change (well worth it, plus you get a quick "inspection"), and ask the service adviser to print out a vehicle history for you so you'll know everything that has been done to the car. Considering your difficulties in the past, it might be good to talk to the service MANAGER and iron out any, ahem, "misunderstandings".

The HPFP has a ten year/120,000 mile warranty now (emissions). I know, because my out-of-original-warranty R55 is in the shop now (MINI Austin). The aux water pump is a safety recall. Check indie shops for the walnut shell intake cleaning. It's a BMW thing, too. Also, some folks swear by the Seafoam treatment to help keep valves and intake clean. $10, and it can't hurt.

MINI SA puts on get-together drives every two months. Great fun, good folks. There is no MINI club in SA now, but there are some SA MINI owners who participate in the Austin club's events.

Remember, you've bought a car that is essentially a FWD BMW, with all the combined joys of British workmanship and German engineering! ;-)

I look forward to meeting you sometime!

Old 05-21-2013, 06:21 AM
pmsummer
5th Gear
http://www.meetup.com/Austin-Mini-Cooper-Car-Club/

BTW: The new turbo heat-shield works. Too bad the previous owner didn't get the scoop replaced (and heat-shield added) under the original warranty. The after-market shields are probably cheaper, and work as well or better. The new scoop does have air holes (so it's semi-functional). Watch the "For Sale" forum here, as folks often sell their old scoops when they upgrade to a chrome ($$) or carbon fiber($$$!!!) scoop.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:50 PM
nrfitchett4
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pmsummer
http://www.meetup.com/Austin-Mini-Cooper-Car-Club/

BTW: The new turbo heat-shield works. Too bad the previous owner didn't get the scoop replaced (and heat-shield added) under the original warranty. The after-market shields are probably cheaper, and work as well or better. The new scoop does have air holes (so it's semi-functional). Watch the "For Sale" forum here, as folks often sell their old scoops when they upgrade to a chrome ($$) or carbon fiber($$$!!!) scoop.
Thanks for the info. Not sure I care to make nice with the mini shop. Lying to me is not something I easily forget. I will talk to the manager there after I get the timing stuff taken care of since I need to get the recall done.
My warranty is third party and has certain repair shops I can use. Who are these other repair shops? If they specialize in mini, might be worth having to drive across town for service if they take the warranty.
Found a chrome scoop online for a lot less then the carbon fiber one. Since the car is dark green and already has a lot of chrome trim, I think it will look good.
I will ask about the mini drives next time I go to the dealer.
Are those 69 dollar oil changes anytime? I'm going to change my oil more often than every 10-15k.

Old 05-22-2013, 04:18 AM
pmsummer
5th Gear
Originally Posted by nrfitchett4
Thanks for the info. Not sure I care to make nice with the mini shop. Lying to me is not something I easily forget. I will talk to the manager there after I get the timing stuff taken care of since I need to get the recall done.
I don't like being lied to either.

My warranty is third party and has certain repair shops I can use. Who are these other repair shops? If they specialize in mini, might be worth having to drive across town for service if they take the warranty.
I've heard good things about this shop, but I have no personal experience: http://www.sanantonioeuro.com/

This shop looks promising, from a MINI/BMW experience: http://www.bavautorepair.com/Home_Page.php

Found a chrome scoop online for a lot less then the carbon fiber one. Since the car is dark green and already has a lot of chrome trim, I think it will look good.
I will ask about the mini drives next time I go to the dealer.
Are those 69 dollar oil changes anytime? I'm going to change my oil more often than every 10-15k.
The MINI Penske dealers have been offering the $69 oil change for awhile now (over a year). I did the math, and my cost of $50 +/- for a home oil/filter change vs. spending $20 more and not having to dispose of the old oil and getting a dealer "inspection" (that I can use as a guide) seemed like a good deal. Plus, I get to keep up a relationship with my Service Adviser so they remember me (positively). I have my oil changed (Castrol/MINI 5w30 Synthetic) every 6000-7500 miles, keeping a CLOSE eye on oil consumption in-between.

Welcome to the club, enjoy your car, and drive it!