1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New member looking for advice on upcoming purchase

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 09:59 AM
Minkota
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New member looking for advice on upcoming purchase

Hi all, I am considering buy a used MINI. My budget is about 6K as I want to pay cash so in my are that mean it will be an 02-06 model but the 03 or 04 is the closest to my budget depending on the model.

I have done quite a bit of research and I think I now know les than when I started.

I've read that I should not buy any "S" model as the 6 sped trans Nd the turbo/superchargers have issues. I've read that I should avoid any auto trans, and get the 5 speed manual and then another post would say avoid the 5 speed and get the 6 speed.

I am a looking for a commuter car to drive approx 60 miles a day round trip.

I am a retired heavy equipment mechanic so I am pretty sure I can handle any repair and maintenance issue on my own.

I am on a somewhat limited budget, Are the cars as plagued with problems as all the forums seem to make it out to be.

Will a 02-06 MINI have had most of the major issues resolved by previous owners or will the problems keep reoccurring due to poor design?

Can someone tell me if I do decide to purchase MINI what is the best model and drivetrain that will be the most dependable for a daily driver. Should I just avoid the purchase all together?

Last edited by Minkota; 07-02-2013 at 10:52 AM.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:54 AM
Minkota
Neutral
apparently im not the only one that's confused, almost 100 views and no response (not even to welcome me) lol

Old 07-03-2013, 03:49 PM
ChaiLatte
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Minkota
apparently im not the only one that's confused, almost 100 views and no response (not even to welcome me) lol
WELCOME lol! I'd love to help you out but I'm new here myself. So the best I can do is say hi.

Old 07-03-2013, 04:02 PM
cooperScaleb05
2nd Gear
Well, I would definitely say 05-06 justa cooper 5spd manual if you want a commuter car with little to fix compared to other minis. I don't really know what to specifically look out for on the 05-06 but some of the others do and thats what I did when buying mine, checked them out really good. Its better to buy with higher mileage and know the problems are all taken care of then a neglected low mileage. If you can't get that in your budget I'd wait or forget a Mini all together because you don't want to get yourself into a money pit.

Old 07-03-2013, 04:11 PM
TREX
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would stay away from the CVT (Constant Velocity Transmision) automatic which ran untill the year 2007. If you can swing a 2007 or newer than the automatic will be OK.
The turbo "S" models have a history of timing chain problems.
The direct injection engines (which are also "S" models) tend to require walnut blasting around 30K miles due to carbon build up on valves.
The "S" models also tend to use a lot more oil than the base, non turbo, models do.
If I were looking for a reliable comuter Mini in the year range you are looking at I would get a standard transmision base (non turbo) model.
But if you must have the added performance of the "S" model, at least you can now consider yourself informed and will be prepared for the potential problems associated with that performance.

Last edited by TREX; 07-03-2013 at 06:22 PM.