1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie JCW in Houston

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 10:03 PM
MINI_42
4th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Newbie JCW in Houston

Hello MINI people,

I'm an expat Aussie living near the Clear Lake area. I've been reading these forums since I ordered a JCW hardtop at the end of last month. Not my first MINI - had a 2007 MCS a while back that has been sadly missed.

I just checked my order in the OL and this morning it has gone from 'On Order' to 'Scheduled'. Pretty excited about that! On that note, does anyone know when I should expect it to go from a metallic white silver MCS (as listed on the OL), to a kite blue JCW as ordered? Just curious if it takes a few days, or weeks, or if it happens at all? Or maybe I was given the wrong production number?

Old 07-17-2013, 03:12 AM
Z06_Pilot
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi 42,

welcome back to the fold! Ours changed from an absolute black metallic to chili red with white roof/mirrors within 2 days of us placing our order at the dealership.

Also, we got our production number before we left the dealership the day we ordered, so I don't know if that accounted for our fairly quick status change or not?

Maybe it has something to do with where the original car was inline for production when it's build was changed by your order taking that allocation perhaps?

Our status was still "on order" when the description changed to properly match our car, so i do think it's odd that your description still reflects the original build info after your status has changed to "scheduled", but it could just be more of the unreliable/out of date nature of the owner's lounge I suppose.

Jeff

Old 07-17-2013, 03:52 AM
etidd01
4th Gear
OL has zero reliability...I still can't log in (too soon according to OL), but my CMS is on a ship and out to sea as of yesterday.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:13 AM
MINI_42
4th Gear
Hello guys, thanks for the replies.

A few days later and still no change. A funny thing, the day I walked out of the dealership I had no paperwork whatsoever, other than a receipt for $1000 deposit. I don't even remember signing any order. I think the MA was late for lunch, and I felt a little like I was being rushed out the door....maybe my imagination. A couple of days after I walked out of the dealership, I was emailed a credit app which I signed. Then I called the MA and changed the order from an MCS to a JCW. Then it took 2 weeks to get the production number - the MA didn't want to give it to me as they didn't want me looking online to see a car I hadn't ordered and no doubt would start hounding them about (at least that's my best guess). Several emails and finally a phone call, and I had the number. Starting to wonder if it's the correct number...?

Old 07-19-2013, 06:35 PM
Mr. T
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome to NAM and congrats on your new MINI.

Shortly after placing my order, I made a color change to the interior and exterior. The original confirmation on the OL had the incorrect color showing on order. Shortly afterwards, maybe a week, the correct interior and exterior selection showed up. You might want to keep checking and get back to the dealership if there is no change or plan on driving that MCS.

Old 07-20-2013, 01:53 AM
MINI_42
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Mr. T
Welcome to NAM and congrats on your new MINI.
You might want to keep checking and get back to the dealership if there is no change or plan on driving that MCS.
Thanks for the replies. This should've been a simple process. I go the MA, tell him/her to 'order this'. Here's the deposit, thanks for the production number and tracking instructions. Nope. It goes like this:

MA (in the early stages) won't respond to emails. Won't answer the phone (never at the desk?). I finally call someone else to get the production number. Message left. Email reply we don't give out the number until the car on the OL represents the one you ordered, but we promise you'll love the experience with us. Really? I'd love it more if you actually gave me the information I ask for. Then I get the number and log on to OL, fill out all the adoption papers and (monitored multiple times daily) watch it go from conception stage to birth canal. PROGRESS! Hello MA, just curious if I can have a copy of my order? Here ya go! Wait...different production number? WTF??? Sorry, it was someone else's number. Your MINI is scheduled for mid August production. I repeat, WTF??? Can I say that here? So Hey Zeus, I understood it takes 6 long weeks from order to delivery...not 6 weeks from order to 'scheduled for production'. I really don't feel the MA has been helpful one iota, and that I've had to struggle every step just to get answers (and be given answers just for the sake of giving an answer, right or wrong).

Yep, if they didn't have $1000 from me, I think I would be pulling the pin and moving my business elsewhere.

I was wary of the production number from the start. I feel the order was held back to be slipped in to July's sales figures...which would be fine if I knew. That may have changed the ball game entirely even. I feel there has been some mishandling of my order and I possibly have grounds for a complaint...but I really don't have the energy to go and 'tell on the MA'. After I receive the car, I am sure I will leave some info on this forum, however.

I've bought a lot of new cars before, usually around the $20-25k mark, and every time, I've felt like I was king with the sales rep's service and attitude toward me. With this experience so far, all I seem to be getting is 'over promise and under deliver'. Obviously it is true that the MINI sells itself...but hey Zeus, as a sales rep, do your bl00dy job and put a little effort into it!!!

Unless some small miracle is performed, the last time I visit this dealer will be to collect the car.

Our first MINI purchase in 2007 was awesome, from MOTW. The guy was with us every step of the way, almost to the point of harassment! He was such a nice guy, but he left that dealership and went back to his native Hawaii. I would buy from him again and again. Shame he left town. My wife and I remember him fondly.

Well there's my rant. What a bummer.

MINI_42

Old 07-20-2013, 06:53 AM
Mr. T
6th Gear
Doesn't sound like such a great experience. I would have taken my business elsewhere. I generally require more than a handshake after giving someone $1000. Better yet, a copy of the order and some great customer service would have been nice. I hope there's no other potholes in the road on your way to delivery day. I'd be looking for another dealership to work with in the future.

Old 07-20-2013, 07:59 AM
MINI_42
4th Gear
Yeah I am considering pulling the pin and shopping elsewhere. Maybe I will. I do get a little pi$$ed off when I think about it all.

Old 07-20-2013, 08:08 AM
MINI_42
4th Gear
How many people think I should cancel the order and run like mad from this dealer?

Old 07-20-2013, 08:35 AM
SuperGreg
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MINI_42
How many people think I should cancel the order and run like mad from this dealer?
I do. You are spending a lot of money, and deserve to be treated as such.

Old 07-20-2013, 09:03 AM
Mr. T
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SuperGreg
I do. You are spending a lot of money, and deserve to be treated as such.
I agree. The treatment you received so far seems to be a precursor of things to come. Run!

Old 07-20-2013, 09:45 AM
MINI_42
4th Gear
Yes I do agree, and that's what I want to do. My wife mentioned that I would lose my $1000 deposit. I do believe that would happen initially, and it would possibly take a lot of complaining with the GM, then MINI USA, then the Better Business Bureau...and maybe I'd get the money back in a few months time...

I was so very close to cancelling the order, but I just went for a run and while thinking about it all, I realised I could take a different angle on it and look at it like this - that I've worked and fought so hard for it, that when I finally do take possession, it will make all the toil worthwhile. Thinking about it like that makes me feel a lot better about not throwing in the towel. Nothing worthwhile is ever easy, right? I fought hard for my wife - worthwhile. We fought hard for our kids - worthwhile. I fought hard for my career - worthwhile. So...I think I will only like and appreciate the car even better at the end of this!

And then there's the customer satisfaction survey....I heard anything less than 10/10 is a fail! That's a pretty high score to achieve, even for a good salesman.

I sure appreciate the input from you guys. Do any of you live between Galveston and Houston? I'd be interested in doing an occasional MINI club type thing.

MK

Old 07-20-2013, 12:43 PM
nrfitchett4
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd call and talk to Mini USA. They can contact the dealer on your behalf and maybe get better answers. Good luck

Old 07-20-2013, 02:51 PM
Mr. T
6th Gear
My wife mentioned that I would lose my $1000 deposit.
I was told at the point the order was taken and the $1000 check written that for any reason I changed my mind before the car went into production, I could cancel the order and receive a full refund.

Old 07-20-2013, 04:39 PM
Z06_Pilot
5th Gear
Hey Mini 42....yea, this sucks. one of the problems with Mini is in some cases if you don't like your dealer you may have to travel hundreds of miles to get to another one. I live in Ohio where we have 12 million people living, and yet there are only 3 Mini dealers in the entire state.

I am lucky as my dealer in Columbus has a stellar rep both in sales in service. I could not have asked for a better experience with my MA thus far.

Sounds like you are pretty far down the road. Look at it this way....once you take delivery you will likely never have to see the sales/finance organization ever again....I just hope for your sake the service department is much better!

Old 07-21-2013, 11:15 AM
MINI_42
4th Gear
Thanks guys. It's certainly been an uninspiring experience thus far.

I checked the OL today and the vehicle description actually matches what I ordered. So, that's progress. Z06 I have to agree; I daresay I'll probably just head to another dealer for service after delivery. I would like to have a good relationship with the dealer I buy from...

Old 07-21-2013, 05:59 PM
Mr. T
6th Gear
I checked the OL today and the vehicle description actually matches what I ordered. So, that's progress.
Now we just need to get this dealership to work on the most important part of the transaction, customer service. I'm very glad to hear that the OL matched what you order. That is surely a relief.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:10 AM
grmnxtc
1st Gear
First post to this forum, and getting my order in for a JCW Clubman has been a hassle, but I found out the reason why - which might help the OP with his "missing two weeks" issue.

The factory (apparently) is in mid year changeover, and from early June had no JCW's (Clubman's at least!) scheduled for production until mid/late July (i.e. about now) when slots were going to open up.

I'm told now that mine will go in "soon', but there could be another two week delay as they are changing a lot on the production line to introduce the new hardtop (2014) model into the flow as well.

I finally managed to get my desired option list figured out - which has been a hassle in and of itself as the online configurator bears no resemblance to reality when the changeover in June/July happens, as Mini is dropping some packages and seems to think I need a sunroof - when I don't want one in the "new" package. Anyway... this might help explain the delay in ordering (as the factory has no places to fill the order), but it doesn't excuse the Dealer from not keeping you informed.

Actually kinda works out, as we will now get a 2014 model Highclass Grey JCW Clubman - not that there are really any changes from 13 to 14...

Old 07-22-2013, 12:00 PM
MINI_42
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Mr. T
That is surely a relief.
Absolutely it is!

Mr grmnxtc, your post is intriguing. I'd like to find out more. I ordered mine June 28...and it looks like the actual order was placed maybe 7 days ago? I don't know. The MA said it's scheduled for the week of August 12th...which is still about 3 weeks away. The MA also said that if I wanted to wait for a 2014 build, I would have to wait til next year! So naturally, I would really like to know when you ordered yours, when it is scheduled for delivery...and any other info you'd care to impart.

Cheers mate,
Mike

Old 07-22-2013, 01:02 PM
grmnxtc
1st Gear
Not quite got the "official word" as to the order status yet... though from the initial vehicle report paperwork from the dealer who's doing the build up, it looks like maybe a week 33 (August 12th) production slot allocation they have is being used.

We have a slight difference of models which I can't speak to though. You are getting a JCW Hardtop, I'm getting a JCW Clubman. I'm definitely getting the 2014 model (says so on the paperwork!), but I'm not sure when the switchover is for the Hardtop model.

From what I'm told... June/July is the factory "holiday" and thus coincides with the model year switchovers.

Also, I'm told there were no further 2013 JCW Clubman production slots open, so it would have to be a 2014 model (or find one in current inventory = none to be had! yay!! ).

Thing is, that nothing changes for the 14 Clubman, expect Mini is cutting back on the number of Packages they offer (just Technology and a City pack IIRC) which makes my build choices a little more spendy , as I have to go "a la carte". Dealer has been great though, in working the pricing (Being a Costco member has helped with zero haggling over pricing just a set price over invoice ).

Just can't wait to get my Production info in my hands... then the countdown starts... already got a few boxes of "stuff" bought to add to her.

After a few custom changes she should end up like this...

Clive.

Attached Thumbnails Newbie JCW in Houston-highclass-blue-red-sm.jpg  
Old 07-22-2013, 01:22 PM
MINI_42
4th Gear
ah the silver bonnet scoop! nice!

i emailed the MA at the same time i posted that last message...naturally still waiting to hear more info. you are right about the difference, and i'm sure that will play a part...but at the same time like you said...the factory goes on holiday and switches year models...surely they'd switch the year models on all the vehicles?

when you mentioned getting the production info, do you mean seeing it on the owner's lounge as scheduled for production with VIN number and all that stuff?

mine is on the OL, as a 2013, but no VIN number...

i see the union jack...are you a brit? Clive is also a bit of a brit name i think...not that there's anything wrong with being a brit! i've known quite a few good ones over the years!

Thanks for the info mate,

Mike

Old 07-22-2013, 01:42 PM
MINI_42
4th Gear
Okay so the MA is really on top of things now. Here's the reply:

"The 2013 JCW Hardtop will be produced until Oct. All other models stop production in June and start production in July."

As much as I'd like a 2014, and as much as I like the Clubman, it's the hardtop I mostly want. Seems strange they'd stop producing all other models and continue with one only. Does that smell fishy to anyone else too? Guess I'm skeptical because of my experience thus far with the MA....

Old 07-22-2013, 02:38 PM
grmnxtc
1st Gear
Mike,

I'm Bi-National.... not that there's anything wrong with that , but yes, Blighty is the old stomping ground.

Actually the car is for the wife (Mid Western Corn Fed girl!!) and she wants the flag. Who am I to argue? She chose the majority of the exterior, and I get to add all the bells and whistles inside. Some paint going on the bumper/C pillars (why does Mini not let you have a body color paint option on the Clubman - when they charge $1k for a special paint job?), some custom graphics and some other "bits", and we'll both be happy.

I think the hardtop truly changes to a '14 model year next year when they move to the Gen III (F56), so for now they are extending the '13's for a few months.

Order isn't formally "in the system yet", as with the package changes for '14, the dealer was trying to "group" stuff to save me a few bucks. Had to go up the chain to the regional rep to get confirmation. Got it down a bit, but still costing an arm and a leg.

Enjoy the countdown!

Clive.

Old 07-22-2013, 03:22 PM
MINI_42
4th Gear
G'day Clive,

Nothing wrong with binational at all! I'm not quite there yet; I was thinking I wouldn't bother with US citizenship until the last two times I came back into the states (I work in Africa), I was harrassed by immigration as to why I was still using a green card...so starting the process now.

Yes the one major thing that threw me off from getting the Clubman was the paint and pillars. I just couldn't find an option that worked for me.

Bummer about the HT not being a 2014 model, but oh well. I think I got an okay deal on mine. The delivery fee was waived, and I got an extra $500 on the trade in. So about $1300 there. Nothing to go crazy about, but better than a slap with a wet mullet.

I priced the same car back home it was $65,000 AUD...which with the exchange rate is the same as the USD. Everything in the US is as cheap as chips...as I'm sure you know.