1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st Mini - Pig in a Poke?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 01:46 PM
dluney
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st Mini - Pig in a Poke?

I fell into this while trying to buy a Miata (my passion). It is a 2009 Cabrio that has a salvage title and was listed as water damaged and not running. Looking forward to learning Mini's as I grew up on British cars (yeah I know). I am in Suwanee GA (Outside of Atlanta) and may need a local used parts source? Thanks,

Old 10-08-2013, 05:05 PM
dluney
1st Gear
Update. Car is running and driving. So far it has taken a new RH JUnction Box, used alternator, new waterpump and belt tensioner, new ride height sensor(forklift at the auction yard), used floor shifter and a Roll Over Controller. It still has an airbag code for a ROC so I am stumped. Anybody know why it would have a ROC code?

Old 10-08-2013, 06:52 PM
KennyR
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad you got your salvage vehicle running. You didn't provide much info, but I would guess the airbag front crash sensor was damaged from the flood and needs to be replaced, or the code may just need to be cleared/reset. You need a diagnostic scan code reader to reset it, and there are several possible fault codes. Did you have your MINI checked over by a dealer/competent mechanic?

You may want to repost this in another forum (stock problems / issues) to get a few responses from more mechanically-minded posters than in the 1st Gear section. Good luck.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:56 PM
Mr. T
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome to NAM, dluney. Looks like you have your work cut out for you. There are plenty of resources here at NAM. Hope you find the information you are looking for.

Old 10-09-2013, 03:28 AM
Angib
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dluney
Anybody know why it would have a ROC code?
Maybe a dumb suggestion, but has the car got the rear roll hoops deployed? On a 2nd generation Convertible, they should be just a few inches above the rear parcel shelf, not right up near the roof. There is an actuator in each vertical leg which fires the rollbar up to the roof - which sounds like what a Roll Over Controller would have done.

If the car has been near water, check the boot/trunk lid - on Convertibles they are very inclined to take in water and removing the rubber bung that is at the bottom when it's closed will allow any water to drain out. Any trapped water eventually makes the boot/trunk latch misbehave.

Old 10-09-2013, 04:15 AM
dluney
1st Gear
Thanks all. This was a Super Storm Sandy car. It had water up to the middle of the wheel. I will have a look at the solenoids. I don't expect a dealership will touch it. I have a local shop that has been very helpful including letting me pop in and use their scanner.

Last edited by dluney; 10-09-2013 at 06:42 AM.
Old 10-09-2013, 04:41 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Have you contacted Way Motor Works? Can't get much closer.

https://www.google.com/maps?saddr=Su...iDG7O-kwBo0n9Q

Old 10-09-2013, 06:09 AM
dluney
1st Gear
Originally Posted by yetti96
Have you contacted Way Motor Works? Can't get much closer.

https://www.google.com/maps?saddr=Su...iDG7O-kwBo0n9Q
I stopped by once but Wayne was out. I may run it there if I hit another roadblock. I am trying to determine if the Rollbar solenoids are an integrated part or replaceable?

Old 10-09-2013, 06:28 AM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Wow, that's pretty bold to buy a flood car. Glad it's working for you and hopefully you got a good deal on it.

Old 10-09-2013, 06:31 AM
gnuse
2nd Gear
Corrosion is not your friend, especially in and around electrical connections. Personally I like a bit of Corrosion X or ACF 50 to try to slow down the corrosion process.

Old 10-09-2013, 06:46 AM
dluney
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Angib
Maybe a dumb suggestion, but has the car got the rear roll hoops deployed? On a 2nd generation Convertible, they should be just a few inches above the rear parcel shelf, not right up near the roof. There is an actuator in each vertical leg which fires the rollbar up to the roof - which sounds like what a Roll Over Controller would have done.

If the car has been near water, check the boot/trunk lid - on Convertibles they are very inclined to take in water and removing the rubber bung that is at the bottom when it's closed will allow any water to drain out. Any trapped water eventually makes the boot/trunk latch misbehave.
The rollbar is still in the original position.I just pulled the covers and the water level was well below the rollbar bottom and the trunk shows no sign of water at all (maybe it was pointed downhill?). The airbag controler itself looks like it may have gotten wet, so I am sending it to myairbags for a test/reflash.

Old 12-24-2013, 06:46 PM
dluney
1st Gear
Update. With a reload of all ECU's the car is up and running with no codes or lights. Inspected by the State of Ga and between my wife and I we have put a few hundred miles on it with no issues. Definitely a learning experience, but we now have a super low mile Cabrio at about half of the retail cost. It may get passed to my daughter when she gets her license. Maybe we'll get a warm sunny day soon and we'll get to log some top down time.