1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Illinois Motoring!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 10:12 PM
Ryacuski
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Illinois Motoring!

Ryan from Illinois here finally joining after looking on this site for some time now. I have a 2006 R53 in Royal Grey Metallic I got over a year ago. Looking to do some light modding since I commute 75 miles a day for school. So far I just have a K&N panel drop in, 20% tint in rear and 35% tint on the sides, and just put new OEM brakes on her. I have a new OEM front spoiler coming in next week due to me being an idiot and forgetting my car was in first gear and hitting a concrete ledge when starting it. I also have the M7 16% pulley on its way. Heard it is quite the fun install. Can't wait. Haha.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:14 AM
Sabre
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hello Ryan and welcome to the NAMily and the world of MINI!

You got yourself a unique MINI as Royal Grey is a color you do not see very often. It's an elegant color that stands out in a crowd... very nice!

Yup mods are inevitable and it looks like you got a nice beginning there.

Now there is just one more thing... Post-up some pic of your MINI to share with your brothers and sisters here on NAM... cause we love pics... yes we do!

Enjoy you MINI and Motor On!

Old 08-02-2013, 09:45 AM
Ryacuski
1st Gear
Thanks for the friendly reply. This is the third car I've owned in this color. It can be a very classy color like the Jag I used to own, or sporty like the VR-4 I had. The mini is such a fun car. I'm usually one of those people use go through cars faster than shoes, but I think I'm gonna keep this one for a while. In what part of Illinois are you located?

Old 08-02-2013, 09:58 AM
Ryacuski
1st Gear
Unfortunately I haven't taken many pics of her while she's been clean, I DO however have a pic from the first day I brought her home! It looks the same to this day minus I took off my front license plate, have a JCW OEM shorty antenna, and the windows tinted. I'll try to get a new pic up once I give her a bath.

Name:  20120413_112840.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  70.6 KB

Old 08-02-2013, 03:56 PM
Mr. T
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome to NAM. Glad to hear that you're enjoying your MINI. Where are the pics?

Old 08-03-2013, 10:58 AM
Ryacuski
1st Gear
I actually posted pics a few days ago, and it said it needed administrator approval for my picture. Maybe I'll try posting it again when I get off work.

Old 08-03-2013, 03:25 PM
ADubb
Neutral
Welcome

The admin has to approve posts sometimes. I had to wait 2-3 days for my pics to post too. No need to re-post though.

Old 08-03-2013, 03:28 PM
TonyCheckraise
4th Gear
Whereabouts in Illinois are you? I live in the near south suburbs of Chicago

Old 08-03-2013, 11:39 PM
Ryacuski
1st Gear
I'm quite far from you then. I'm located in the Northwest suburbs. About 40 minutes south of WI. I've only got two other Mini owners I know around here. Both of them being R53s. (I DO NOT like R56s, no offense.)

Old 08-04-2013, 12:19 PM
Sabre
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Ryacuski
...In what part of Illinois are you located?
Well we are kind of far away from your locale... 1hr 30 min south of Chicago... and you are north of the city.

Very few MINI's my way in fact the only ones that I have seen usually have out of state plates...

Btw, thanks for posting pics... we love 'em!

Old 08-04-2013, 02:58 PM
Beachnmini
4th Gear
Im originally from 1 1/2 hrs south of Chicago, Bloomington-Normal.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:17 PM
Ryacuski
1st Gear
So all you IL guys are from south Chicago?? Darn that's far. I used to live in Lincoln Park just a few blocks away from the Zoo, but currently live about an hour northwest of the city. There appears to be a lot of Minis around here since I have a local dealership not far away. Mainly all non-S R56s though. The worst Mini in my opinion. I give them the wave as I drive by but NEVER get a wave back from those people. R53s go OUT of their way to give a friendly gesture. Love my R53!

Old 08-06-2013, 09:54 AM
Sabre
6th Gear
So all you IL guys are from south Chicago?? Darn that's far.
Yeah that's too bad! Wish we were closer!

I used to live in Lincoln Park just a few blocks away from the Zoo, but currently live about an hour northwest of the city. There appears to be a lot of Minis around here since I have a local dealership not far away.
Just curious...That dealer would be? Patrick? Knauz? Bill Jacobs?

Mainly all non-S R56s though. The worst Mini in my opinion. I give them the wave as I drive by but NEVER get a wave back from those people. R53s go OUT of their way to give a friendly gesture. Love my R53!
Well I hope that not all R56 MINIs are bad... I own one . Yeah I hear your pain but at least you get to see MINIs on the road... out here where I'm at MINIs are few and far between. The lack of a wave seems to stem from folks that just went out and got a MINI but fail to understand the MINI culture. There have been plenty of threads on this subject here on NAM so I won't elaborate but R53 owners along with the R50 folks were on the scene first and hence were composed of mostly enthusiasts so you're more likely to get a wave from them than R56 owners.

Had a friend who owned an R53 (DS/W MCS) and he loved it and I admired the looks of the car... sweet ride and the supercharger noise was boss! Your MINI kind of reminds me of his...

Well you'll always get a wave from me and hopefully other MINIs that you come across in the future!

Motor On Ryan!

Old 08-06-2013, 10:04 AM
LTLMCPE
3rd Gear
Ryan, that wasn't your car on 83 heading south in Long Grove area last evening that I exchanged waves with was it?

Jim

Old 08-06-2013, 10:26 AM
sdiver
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm quite far from you then. I'm located in the Northwest suburbs. About 40 minutes south of WI. I've only got two other Mini owners I know around here. Both of them being R53s. (I DO NOT like R56s, no offense.)
I'm up in your neck of the woods...NW burbs. I live in Wauconda, but drive through Lake Zurich, Mundelein, Vernon Hills, Lincolnshire, Buffalo Grove, etc. quite regularly.

I always wave...though I agree on rarely getting a response.

Old 08-07-2013, 11:25 AM
Ryacuski
1st Gear
I was not on 83 anytime recently. And as for the dealership nearest me, that would be Patrick BMW/Mini