1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Those waiting for a 2014" Support Group

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 06:53 PM
swjtx
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RavenGirl
Nope, tried multiple computers and I can see pics of another car when I mistype the vin. *shrug*
Yea, that's what happens when it gets any serious damage going from the factory to the shipyard. They usually just load 'em up if they think they can fix it at the VDC but won't take pics for obvious reasons. Don't worry, they say the paint matching is so good after repairs you can hardly notice a difference.

OK I'M JUST KIDDING! NO ONE SHOOT ME!!

BTW Mine didn't have any pic either.

Old 09-30-2013, 07:02 PM
swjtx
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Grumpy_i_m
T Dave:
I was curious so I google mapped a satellite view of the Baltimore MINI VDC.
I found the building where they give your MINI it's burn-out lesson.
I could not copy the picture but have included the coordinates for the location.
39.244268,-76.578946
Copy and paste them in google maps and satellite view.
Or
Enter the coordinates
Zoom in and note 3 bays and lots of tire rubber laid down.
I always wondered how they removed the little rubber nubbies from the front tires.

I am checking for the Brunswick burn-out area next.

Burn out area? hmm .. why would they do that right in front of the doors? You'd think they wouldn't want burnt rubber smoke drifting right back into the building....but I don't have a better explanation.

Edit: There are several buildings in Brunswick that have what looks like a burn out place leading in/from the building but nothing like Baltimore.

Last edited by swjtx; 09-30-2013 at 07:09 PM.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:35 PM
b00sted09
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Lyfisin
I can sympathize. I'm also waiting on mine and the days are passing so slow. I want others who have been waiting longer to 'get theirs' so mine won't be so far off!! Grats on the new ride.
Thank you! Congrats on the new ride as well, and may all of us who are waiting be able to endure this grueling days until we get our Mini!

Old 09-30-2013, 07:40 PM
b00sted09
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by swjtx
Congrats. Best advice is just forget you did that for at least a month! Oops, too late, it only took you a week to find this thread.....
haha yea I'm already in this forum every minute and also looking at mini aftermarket parts online!
I'm actually a little pissed at myself; I tried adding the JCW aero package to my clubman S but it was too late. I didn't know that the JCW aero package included the xenon lamps, body kit and rims which would have saved me time and money vs getting aftermarket parts... arrghhhh!!!

Old 09-30-2013, 07:43 PM
swjtx
2nd Gear
Michigan Highway just sailed over the Chesapeake Bay bridge tunnel. Out to the open sea and headed for Brunswick. 520 nautical miles to go. If we can get ~ 18 knots, the voyage will be ~29 hrs. could be docked as soon as 1 a.m. on the 2nd. closer bet is 4 a.m.

Current forecast for Brunswick on Oct 2nd is sunny with a low of 61 and a high of 81.

Hope they spiked the petrol with Dramamine before boarding....

Old 10-01-2013, 03:49 AM
swjtx
2nd Gear
Michigan Highway is out of range. Last transmission was at 4:50 a.m. EDT 20 nautical miles off Cape Hatteras. You wouldn't think that would be out of range. Must have spotty coverage in that region. Estimating 22 hrs till arrival in Brunswich but that could slip since the ship doesn't seem to be able to sustain 18 knots. Closer to 15 -16 since it cleared Chesapeake Bay. Maybe there's a headwind?

Edit: Ok back on the map but creeping along at 13.3 knots. At this rate it won't hit the slip until 1 p.m. on the 2nd. Wonder how many shifts they work at the VDC? Hoping the car can be on the carrier and underway on Friday the 4th. That gives it plenty of time to arrive and go through dealer prep so I can pick up on Sat the 12th.

Last edited by swjtx; 10-01-2013 at 04:56 AM.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:06 AM
KennyR
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Michigan Highway is out of range. Last transmission was at 4:50 a.m. EDT 20 nautical miles off Cape Hatteras. You wouldn't think that would be out of range. Must have spotty coverage in that region. Estimating 22 hrs till arrival in Brunswich but that could slip since the ship doesn't seem to be able to sustain 18 knots. Closer to 15 -16 since it cleared Chesapeake Bay. Maybe there's a headwind?

Edit: Ok back on the map but creeping along at 13.3 knots. At this rate it won't hit the slip until 1 p.m. on the 2nd. Wonder how many shifts they work at the VDC? Hoping the car can be on the carrier and underway on Friday the 4th. That gives it plenty of time to arrive and go through dealer prep so I can pick up on Sat the 12th.
Michigan Highway just needs to trim it's jib and raise the spinnaker while avoiding the famed Michigan potholes, and it will be there in no time!

Old 10-01-2013, 09:33 AM
RottVet
1st Gear

Good job with keeping up with the timeframe of the Michigan Highway, swjtx! I am as giddy as a schoolgirl! My humble prediction, (worth exactly what it costs) is that our cars will be delivered mid-next week to our respective dealers. Don't know how quick they prep them at the dealerships, shouldn't be too tough, at least for mine. Saturday the 12th would be good, but I would be satisfied by the 15th. My MA suggested that date when I ordered on August 21.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:10 AM
grmnxtc
1st Gear
Was just using the trick of the Bill of Lading for the Toronto's inventory.

Seems there's a twin to mine on board. JCW Clubman in the same Highclass Grey color! Who'd have thunk it!

I pulled all the VIN's and figure there are at least ..

1x Justa Coupe
1x Justa Convertible
4x S Roadsters
77x S Coupes
10x S Convertibles
4x S Roadsters
7x S Clubmans
5x JCW Coupes
2x JCW Clubmans (both the same color!)

Looks like TheMike's Convertible was loaded 5 mins (10 cars) after mine!

Toronto was last see steaming up north by Mexico (almost to southern end of Baja)

Old 10-01-2013, 01:04 PM
Dogwhistle
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by grmnxtc
Was just using the trick of the Bill of Lading for the Toronto's inventory.

Seems there's a twin to mine on board. JCW Clubman in the same Highclass Grey color! Who'd have thunk it!

I pulled all the VIN's and figure there are at least ..

1x Justa Coupe
1x Justa Convertible
4x S Roadsters
77x S Coupes
10x S Convertibles
4x S Roadsters
7x S Clubmans
5x JCW Coupes
2x JCW Clubmans (both the same color!)

Looks like TheMike's Convertible was loaded 5 mins (10 cars) after mine!

Toronto was last see steaming up north by Mexico (almost to southern end of Baja)
Hmmm, interesting mix of cars. On the Don Juan, at least in my Bill of Lading, the vast majority of the cars were Justa (including mine!).

Old 10-01-2013, 01:50 PM
MINIDraftFarm
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by KennyR
Save yourself a few $ hundred and skip the paint protection/sealant or fabric protection packages if offered by your dealer. It's one of the biggest scams (and largest profit margins for any dealer) out there, and you won't find a single outside organization that will validate that it offers any more protection than ordinary car wax.

Modern paints (as on your MINI) are much improved over the old lacquers and enamels of the past, and if you take reasonable care of your MINI's finish (wax it twice a year, wash it weekly) it will still look fine in 10 years.
The dealership in St. Louis does that. I think they call it the economy package, or something similar. They definitely charge for it automatically, plus they won't budge on sticker price. It sounded like a crock to me so definitely thanks for validating that KennyR . I bought through the Memphis dealership. They negotiated on the sticker price. They don't do custom stripes, etc. there. I'm debating on getting a clear bra. They are expensive though! I wouldn't be thinking about it, but we live on a gravel road. I would hate to get my new little guy chipped up.

Old 10-01-2013, 01:53 PM
Matt314
1st Gear
Anyone else here tracking the Carmen to CA? Due to arrive 10/17, though my MA thinks 10/20 is more realistic for arrival at port.

Old 10-01-2013, 02:00 PM
MINIDraftFarm
2nd Gear

Thanks for keeping up with it. After it went out of range last night, I gave up tracking around 11 p.m. It's still showing out of range. At least you were up for it come back in a bit. I wonder if the majority of the crew is Japanese since the ship is registered in Japan. Maybe our Minis will by bilingual,

Old 10-01-2013, 02:13 PM
tampadave
5th Gear
Torino will dock in Baltimore in 11 hours. My dealership's an hour's drive from the port. So close....

Old 10-01-2013, 03:00 PM
Bludevilx
2nd Gear
Look who showed up at my dealer... Supposed to take delivery tomorrow evening! =]

"Those waiting for a 2014" Support Group-forumrunner_20131001_170027.jpg

Old 10-01-2013, 03:24 PM
KennyR
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MINIDraftFarm
The dealership in St. Louis does that. I think they call it the economy package, or something similar. They definitely charge for it automatically, plus they won't budge on sticker price. It sounded like a crock to me so definitely thanks for validating that KennyR . I bought through the Memphis dealership. They negotiated on the sticker price. They don't do custom stripes, etc. there. I'm debating on getting a clear bra. They are expensive though! I wouldn't be thinking about it, but we live on a gravel road. I would hate to get my new little guy chipped up.
Some dealers "automatically" put paint/fabric protection (a can of Scotchguard), mudflaps, locking wheel bolts, and other high margin items on the cars in their showrooms (adding almost $1K on an additional dealer "sticker" in the window. I've never heard one who tried to say it was mandatory if you ordered one!

Over the years, I've negotiated to buy several cars that had these add-ons already installed on a car in inventory. I negotiated a price I wanted to pay, and said I wouldn't pay for these unnecessary items. When they hesitated, I told then they could "remove" them, or I was going to another dealer. In every case, the sales manager agree to "throw in" these items to complete the sale (I did pay the dealer their discounted cost for some mud flaps and floor mats I wanted anyways).

I was fortunate in my recent MINI purchase (at a dealership I previously used), the finance guy didn't even try to sell me any of the "finance office" upgrades (extended warranty, pre-paid dent repair, paint/fabric protection, etc. I appreciated that.

Old 10-01-2013, 03:52 PM
tampadave
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Bludevilx
Look who showed up at my dealer... Supposed to take delivery tomorrow evening! =]

Attachment 82038
Congratulations! Don't forget the pictures!

Old 10-01-2013, 03:57 PM
MINIDraftFarm
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by KennyR
Some dealers "automatically" put paint/fabric protection (a can of Scotchguard), mudflaps, locking wheel bolts, and other high margin items on the cars in their showrooms (adding almost $1K on an additional dealer "sticker" in the window. I've never heard one who tried to say it was mandatory if you ordered one!

Over the years, I've negotiated to buy several cars that had these add-ons already installed on a car in inventory. I negotiated a price I wanted to pay, and said I wouldn't pay for these unnecessary items. When they hesitated, I told then they could "remove" them, or I was going to another dealer. In every case, the sales manager agree to "throw in" these items to complete the sale (I did pay the dealer their discounted cost for some mud flaps and floor mats I wanted anyways).

I was fortunate in my recent MINI purchase (at a dealership I previously used), the finance guy didn't even try to sell me any of the "finance office" upgrades (extended warranty, pre-paid dent repair, paint/fabric protection, etc. I appreciated that.
I spoke with three MINI dealerships, and two of the three would negotiate. When I finally placed my order, I only dealt with my MA for everything...even the financing. No gimmicks needed. I already knew how much they would come off the sticker price. The installation prices were negotiated. I agree, it was much appreciated. They wanted to work with me. I was very honest with them about comparing pricing. I guess we were both happy, because the deal was made Come on Michigan Highway!!!!

Old 10-01-2013, 03:58 PM
MINIDraftFarm
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by tampadave
Torino will dock in Baltimore in 11 hours. My dealership's an hour's drive from the port. So close....
Woooooooooooo Hoooooooooooooooo! You can almost start counting the seconds!!!!! Keep us posted.

Old 10-01-2013, 04:00 PM
MINIDraftFarm
2nd Gear

Attachment 82038
Congrats!!! Take pics

Old 10-01-2013, 04:15 PM
Lyfisin
1st Gear

Attachment 82038
I'm so jealous. I'm almost hating you can check the progress online. My mouse button is about broke from pressing the "TRACK YOUR MINI" link.

I'm quite sure you don't need to be told this, but... enjoy the ride!!

Lyf

Old 10-01-2013, 04:47 PM
SheldonCoopr
2nd Gear

Attachment 82038
Congrats! It might be a long sleepless night. I'm looking forward to getting home to drive mine again and get through the break-in period.

Old 10-01-2013, 04:50 PM
SheldonCoopr
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by tampadave
Pulling hard for you TD to pick up your baby by Saturday so you can get some drive time in!

Old 10-01-2013, 05:04 PM
tampadave
5th Gear
Originally Posted by SheldonCoopr
Pulling hard for you TD to pick up your baby by Saturday so you can get some drive time in!
Thanks, SC. Saturday pick-up would give MINI 3 full days to clear the VDC and make the hour drive from Baltimore to Sterling. 8 hours until the Torino docks in Baltimore .... not that I'm counting. No contact yet from my MA.

Old 10-01-2013, 05:22 PM
b00sted09
3rd Gear
Man I really regret not getting the JCW aero package. Asked the dealer to add it 5 days after placing my order but it was too late.
Do you mind me asking you how much it cost you your mini what you have with your options?

Quick Reply: "Those waiting for a 2014" Support Group