1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Those waiting for a 2014" Support Group

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 06:51 AM
tampadave
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just ran my VIN through Cargo ID at the WW website and received the latest notation:

CUSTOMS RELEASE WOODCLIFF LAKE, NJ 30-09-2013 00:00:00

WTF? I'm thoroughly confused at this entry. I'm supposedly docking at Baltimore today, so did the Torino stop in New Jersey 9/30 for customs inspection before departing for Baltimore today? Was this merely a computerized U.S. Customs clearance? Is it an erroneous entry at the WW site?

Old 10-02-2013, 06:54 AM
swjtx
2nd Gear
Michigan Highway is stalled at 2.4 knots 11 miles away from the Brunswick bay entrance. Looks like the "Hoegh St. Petersburgh" (ro/ro) and "Captainyannis" (bulk carrier) are at the dock so perhaps Michigan Highway is waiting for the Hoegh to get underway so it can have the dock?

Old 10-02-2013, 07:03 AM
swjtx
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by tampadave
I just ran my VIN through Cargo ID at the WW website and received the latest notation:

WTF? I'm thoroughly confused at this entry. I'm supposedly docking at Baltimore today, so did the Torino stop in New Jersey 9/30 for customs inspection before departing for Baltimore today? Was this merely a computerized U.S. Customs clearance? Is it an erroneous entry at the WW site?
Maybe they turned off the AIS transmitter, and snuck into NJ and unloaded your vehicle there just to mess with you?

Seriously, no idea. Could just mean a custom's release application was submitted? Woodcliff Lake is not exactly at the port. It's about 5 miles from shore.

Edit: I found this from a May 2012 thread on this site:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRRUUMM
My coupe arrived in Baltimore today. When I checked the WW site it said CUSTOMS RELEASE WOODCLIFF LAKE, NJ 26-07-2012 00:00:00.

How does it get to New Jersey? Train? How long does it take? I ordered the JCW body kit and stripes. I think those get done at the VDC, as well.

It doesn't go to Jersey. They send the paperwork through before the ship even hits the states. Mine cleared customs in Jersey two days before th ship hit Baltimore.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:03 AM
Bludevilx
2nd Gear

That's normal... Mine said something similar.

DELIVERED FROM BALTIMORE, MD 24-09-2013 10:42:45 1
DISCHARGED BALTIMORE, MD 20-09-2013 15:00:00 1
LINER RELEASE BALTIMORE, MD 20-09-2013 09:31:40
CUSTOMS RELEASE WOODCLIFF LAKE, NJ 18-09-2013 00:00:00
LOADED ON VESSEL SOUTHAMPTON 10-09-2013 14:55:00

Last edited by Bludevilx; 10-02-2013 at 07:10 AM.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:09 AM
RottVet
1st Gear

Woodcliff Lake is BMW NA headquarters, I believe. Maybe customs released the cars to the central office?

Old 10-02-2013, 07:17 AM
tampadave
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Bludevilx
That's normal... Mine said something similar.

DELIVERED FROM BALTIMORE, MD 24-09-2013 10:42:45 1
DISCHARGED BALTIMORE, MD 20-09-2013 15:00:00 1
LINER RELEASE BALTIMORE, MD 20-09-2013 09:31:40
CUSTOMS RELEASE WOODCLIFF LAKE, NJ 18-09-2013 00:00:00
LOADED ON VESSEL SOUTHAMPTON 10-09-2013 14:55:00
Your entry "Delivered from Baltimore, MD 24-09-2013 10:42:45" - is that exactly when it left Baltimore, or when it arrived at your MINI dealership? It looks like it took 4 days, or possibly more, for your MINI to make it from the Baltimore docks to you. If so, why would it take 4 full days at the VDC?

Old 10-02-2013, 07:21 AM
MINIDraftFarm
2nd Gear
Michigan Highway

Ok, with her back on radar, she is finally very near Brunswick. Headed straight for it, but only going 2.1 knots! It doesn't look like Brunswick is a big port, and there are several cargo ships there right now. I bet she's having to wait her turn, especially going that slow. From her history, and all my refreshes when she's been available, they like to keep her cranked up better than that.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:22 AM
Bludevilx
2nd Gear
Your entry "Delivered from Baltimore, MD 24-09-2013 10:42:45" - is that exactly when it left Baltimore, or when it arrived at your MINI dealership? It looks like it took 4 days, or possibly more, for your MINI to make it from the Baltimore docks to you. If so, why would it take 4 full days at the VDC?
I had the JCW sport gauges and some stripes installed at Port... Other then that I'm not sure. He wasn't delivered to my dealer till yesterday morning. I know it left the VDC on the 28th. But im a good distance from the VDC being in MN lol

Old 10-02-2013, 07:27 AM
MINIDraftFarm
2nd Gear
Given news of the Government shutdown, I researched the issue of whether the U.S. Customs Office would maintain operations during the fiscal crisis. Here is what I found from the U.S. Customs website:

Port Security Operations

(10/01/2013)CBP Port of Entry Operations, including CBP Cargo Security and Revenue Collections, as well as Border Security programs, including Border Patrol and CBP Air and Marine Operations, will remain operational under a government shutdown because they have been deemed law enforcement necessary or necessary for the safety of life and protection of property

I imagined fleets of MINI's stranded at American ports of entry for months. Fortunately, it looks like we're okay. As for me, I provide legal services to the federal courts in Washington, DC. Like the U.S. Attorney's Office, my services are deemed 'essential'. Thank God for sound financial planning or I might suffer the fate of thousands of federal employees and contractors who will be hard-pressed over the coming days, weeks, or even months. I've gone through this before, thanks to our erstwhile politicians in Congress. Hopefully, a solution will develop soon.
Thank goodness your job is secure! I never even thought about customs shutting down...just had a smack in the head duh moment! Thank you sooo much for looking into that. Yep, I had the stranded fleets of MINI's flash in my head as soon as I read your "government shut down" and "customs". Whew! So many of them are so close to being on US soil right now!

Old 10-02-2013, 07:31 AM
MINIDraftFarm
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MINIDraftFarm
Ok, with her back on radar, she is finally very near Brunswick. Headed straight for it, but only going 2.1 knots! It doesn't look like Brunswick is a big port, and there are several cargo ships there right now. I bet she's having to wait her turn, especially going that slow. From her history, and all my refreshes when she's been available, they like to keep her cranked up better than that.
I'm not going to have any hair left...and I have thick hair! Michigan Highway just anchored off the Georgia coast. Guess that explains why she was going so slow. She's got to be waiting to get in there. Looks like her turn won't be any time soon though

Old 10-02-2013, 07:40 AM
tampadave
5th Gear
The agony of waiting gets worse with each passing hour. When the Torino docks in Baltimore today, I will be one hour's drive from my beloved Roadster. Yet I will not be able to open the door, sit down, lower the ragtop, fire up the turbo, and go motoring! Argh!

Old 10-02-2013, 07:44 AM
MINIDraftFarm
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by swjtx
Michigan Highway is stalled at 2.4 knots 11 miles away from the Brunswick bay entrance. Looks like the "Hoegh St. Petersburgh" (ro/ro) and "Captainyannis" (bulk carrier) are at the dock so perhaps Michigan Highway is waiting for the Hoegh to get underway so it can have the dock?
Just read this post, in my frantic updates of the ship, I somehow missed your update. Sorry, for my similar updates I blame it on my lack of sleep last night and hectic morning.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:48 AM
tampadave
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MINIDraftFarm
Thank goodness your job is secure! I never even thought about customs shutting down...just had a smack in the head duh moment! Thank you sooo much for looking into that. Yep, I had the stranded fleets of MINI's flash in my head as soon as I read your "government shut down" and "customs". Whew! So many of them are so close to being on US soil right now!
Oh, I'm still working all right. But I have outstanding vouchers valued over $10,000 awaiting payment. Besides open cases, I have additional vouchers valued over $20,000 ready for filing this week. Not sure when my electronic deposits will go through. Fortunately, I'm okay financially. My heart goes out to federal employees and contractors lacking the resources to sustain themselves through the crisis.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:52 AM
MINIDraftFarm
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by TNMiniMama
Hi MINIDraftFarm, I also live on a gravel road, and highly recommend the clear bras... In fact, I got the chip guards on Mocha and they have saved her. I also have the mudflaps, and they helped a lot... One thing to realize is that the back window will get filthy, as will the rear of the car. I can't remember what you're getting, but the barn doors on my clubbie are always nasty. Our road is chip and tar, the chips being limestone...

Good luck!
Thanks! I hate to add that expense, but it almost sounds mandatory to help keep the chips at bay. I'm getting a Countryman S All4. You don't have to tell me about the back windows...ugh. We already deal with that nastiness with the other vehicles. We are clay and limestone mainly. I live in the Ozarks, so there seem to be boulders sticking out of some of the roads

Old 10-02-2013, 08:06 AM
MINIDraftFarm
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by swjtx
My first stop too. I've had 7.5 weeks to research tint lol. I know more about window film that anyone should. Still, there is no "independent" testing and mostly what you find is on forums from ppl saying they got "this or that" and it is great. I'm leaning towards Huper Optic ceramic at 30% but still not sure. Some aspiring scientist or engineer could make a fortune testing window film just for the ad dollars they'd get from traffic on their website. Include car waxes and coatings as that is another subject that is as clear as mud.
Same here! Have you had to research vinyl and the different grades? Ugh! I'm pretty sure I'm going with the ceramic tint. I just started looking into the cleaning/waxing supplies. Floor mats are another issue. There's not many choices for the 2014's....yet.

Old 10-02-2013, 08:31 AM
tampadave
5th Gear
I had the JCW sport gauges and some stripes installed at Port... Other then that I'm not sure. He wasn't delivered to my dealer till yesterday morning. I know it left the VDC on the 28th. But im a good distance from the VDC being in MN lol
As I recall, your ship arrived in Baltimore on 9/20. Yet you said your MINI left the VDC on 9/28. That's 8 days at the VDC!

Old 10-02-2013, 09:30 AM
Bludevilx
2nd Gear
As I recall, your ship arrived in Baltimore on 9/20. Yet you said your MINI left the VDC on 9/28. That's 8 days at the VDC!
Yea the Tamesis Docked in Baltimore on 9/20 but WW didn't deliver my MINI to the VDC till 9/24.

Old 10-02-2013, 11:01 AM
tampadave
5th Gear
Yea the Tamesis Docked in Baltimore on 9/20 but WW didn't deliver my MINI to the VDC till 9/24.
That seems unusually long for the MINI to sit aboard ship for 4 days before delivery to the VDC. Plus another 4 days processing through the VDC itself. I don't recall similar stories from NAM posters. I certainly hope you're the exception and not the rule!

Old 10-02-2013, 11:14 AM
tampadave
5th Gear
The Torino is steaming up the Chesapeake Bay along Virginia's coastline toward Baltimore. If I drove a parallel route of the ship's track, it would take 3 hours by car to reach Baltimore. Not sure how that translates at sea.

Old 10-02-2013, 12:11 PM
DanisMini
Neutral
Originally Posted by Matt314
Anyone else here tracking the Carmen to CA? Due to arrive 10/17, though my MA thinks 10/20 is more realistic for arrival at port.
Matt - I've been tracking the Carmen as well (and lurking here). My wife's MCS Convertible is on it. Ordered from Schomp on 8/24. I was hoping we'd have it by 10/26 but my MA doesnt think that will happen. He told me it takes 10-14 days for delivery after the boat gets to port, which seems unreasonable to me.

Old 10-02-2013, 01:07 PM
KennyR
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Torino is steaming up the Chesapeake Bay along Virginia's coastline toward Baltimore. If I drove a parallel route of the ship's track, it would take 3 hours by car to reach Baltimore. Not sure how that translates at sea.
If you drive a parallel route to the Torino at sea, methinks your car will probably sink!

Old 10-02-2013, 01:08 PM
Matt314
1st Gear
Originally Posted by DanisMini
Matt - I've been tracking the Carmen as well (and lurking here). My wife's MCS Convertible is on it. Ordered from Schomp on 8/24. I was hoping we'd have it by 10/26 but my MA doesnt think that will happen. He told me it takes 10-14 days for delivery after the boat gets to port, which seems unreasonable to me.
Mine's heading to Schomp as well...I hope that 10-14 day estimate is wrong, I want my car!

Old 10-02-2013, 01:48 PM
tampadave
5th Gear
Originally Posted by KennyR
If you drive a parallel route to the Torino at sea, methinks your car will probably sink!
You get my drift.

The ship is in the Chesapeake Bay near Washington, DC, en route to Baltimore. Just a few hours away from the docks, I suppose.

Old 10-02-2013, 02:21 PM
DanisMini
Neutral
Originally Posted by Matt314
Mine's heading to Schomp as well...I hope that 10-14 day estimate is wrong, I want my car!
Funny, I guess we ordered from the same dealer on the same day. About the 10-14 day estimate, my guess is that they'd rather surprise us when the car shows up early than disappoint if there happen to be delays. I'm still hoping for arrival at the port on the 17th and arrival in Colorado a week later. I hope I'm not being overly optimistic!

Old 10-02-2013, 04:12 PM
BobK500
1st Gear
I'm still waiting to see an update on the WW site for the cars that are on the Dan Juan that docked around 7:00 this morning.

Mine still shows:

LOADED ON VESSEL SOUTHAMPTON 22-09-2013 13:44:00 1
RECEIVED AT TERMINAL SOUTHAMPTON 19-09-2013 16:51:00 1
BOOKED SOUTHAMPTON 19-09-2013 16:49:00 1

It's hard when you know it's there but the updates aren't coming fast enough!

Quick Reply: "Those waiting for a 2014" Support Group