1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Those waiting for a 2014" Support Group

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 03:11 PM
tampadave
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BluDevilx,

Congratulations on your delivery! Hey, is that "Not Normal" sign referring to you or your fantastic new MINI?

Old 10-03-2013, 03:16 PM
banderlin
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Bludevilx
Oh yes!
Congrats!! Looks awesome.

Old 10-03-2013, 03:22 PM
BobK500
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Dogwhistle
My MA is pretty confident that the Monday arrival to them is pretty solid, so we have a delivery appointment for Tues evening. The end is in sight!
Congratulations!

I was just emailing with my MA and with my schedule it looks like I will be picking mine up on Thursday!

The end is almost in sight, or is that the beginning!

Old 10-03-2013, 03:39 PM
b00sted09
3rd Gear
Oh yes!
congrats looks great!
i really wanted the JCW aero package but my car was already a week into prodcution when I decided to change my mind. My MA said that they are unable to make any more changes to it.
Is that true? You would think that it would be relatively easy to add it to my order and change it since it's just a body kit.. Oh well...

Old 10-03-2013, 05:00 PM
KennyR
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by b00sted09
congrats looks great!
i really wanted the JCW aero package but my car was already a week into prodcution when I decided to change my mind. My MA said that they are unable to make any more changes to it.
Is that true? You would think that it would be relatively easy to add it to my order and change it since it's just a body kit.. Oh well...
Yes it's a body kit, so at least you can order one from your dealer or other sources and have it painted and installed. The JCW body kit is $1999 at OutMotoring, plus cost of painting and installation, maybe $1500 more than if you ordered it at the time of the build.

The MINI production process is much more complex than other brands due to the multiple configurations. To pull and have the correct parts, different trim kits, wheels, etc. for each different MINI coming down the line, they have to stop the change process 8-10 days before the actual build starts. Most of the 8 build days are just getting the parts in place and correct order on the line.

Last edited by KennyR; 10-03-2013 at 05:01 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-03-2013, 05:43 PM
swjtx
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by banderlin
Maguires it is then. Of course there's a Detailing forum, why didn't I think to look for that? :D

Gonna have to say, the people on the phone at 866-ASK-MINI are extraordinarily nice. It's getting to the point where I recognize certain reps. Just had a nice conversation with a gentleman who was sad to report that there's still no update. I really hope she got onto the ship that sailed yesterday.

Also still haven't heard back from the GM of the dealership about the video I made about the website (heated seats) bug. The ASK-MINI reps are thankfully making up for the dealer experience thus far.
Oh nooo. Don't go to the detailing forum! You can seriously get wrapped around the axle on wax/coatings. One quote I found that is good advice is "find something you like and use it often". Anyone selling something labeled car wax is going to have a reasonably good product. As long as you apply it every few months, one will be about as good as the other. In know there are a lot of people lined up behind formulas they believe in but Meguires is fine. I'd probably go with the Ultimate vs. the Cleaner wax but again, not a lot of diff.

Old 10-03-2013, 05:45 PM
swjtx
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by KennyR
Yes it's a body kit, so at least you can order one from your dealer or other sources and have it painted and installed. The JCW body kit is $1999 at OutMotoring, plus cost of painting and installation, maybe $1500 more than if you ordered it at the time of the build.

The MINI production process is much more complex than other brands due to the multiple configurations. To pull and have the correct parts, different trim kits, wheels, etc. for each different MINI coming down the line, they have to stop the change process 8-10 days before the actual build starts. Most of the 8 build days are just getting the parts in place and correct order on the line.
Or......you could opt out of that order (lose your 1K deposit) and reorder. Sounds like it would save you $500 bucks?

Old 10-03-2013, 05:53 PM
KennyR
4th Gear
Originally Posted by swjtx
Oh nooo. Don't go to the detailing forum! You can seriously get wrapped around the axle on wax/coatings. One quote I found that is good advice is "find something you like and use it often". Anyone selling something labeled car wax is going to have a reasonably good product. As long as you apply it every few months, one will be about as good as the other. In know there are a lot of people lined up behind formulas they believe in but Meguires is fine. I'd probably go with the Ultimate vs. the Cleaner wax but again, not a lot of diff.
Yep...members who frequent the 'Detailing Forum' can be even more neurotic than those of us on the 'Waiting for a 2014' forum!

Meguires Ultimate is best if you garage you vehicle and wash it regularly...Their cleaner wax works well if your car is exposed to the elements or you only remember to wash it when you can no longer see through the front window.

Old 10-03-2013, 06:07 PM
swjtx
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Dogwhistle
Alright, here's the scoop! Once your car is in port, your MA has ALL the info! Forget the boat tracker and Owners Lounge, no good info there.

My MA just sent me a screenshot of their tracking system where each step through the VDC is tracked and logged. My car was accepted into the VDC at noon yesterday, and just cleared all items a couple of hours ago. It is now released to the trucking company, in my case "Precision Motor Transport Group", for an ESTIMATED delivery to dealer on Monday. I think this date is conservative, hopefully there's a truck on the lot right now that needs one more mini to head to Philly this afternoon!

Call/email your MA and request a screenshot of the dealerspeed status for your car!
I like the suspense. I'm not going to call or email the MA or the MINI phone number. I know it made it to port, now I'm just going to forget about it and wait for them to contact me. I might even tell them it's not a good day when they call me and suggest a date for me to pick it up.

(playing hard to get)

lol

Old 10-03-2013, 07:28 PM
Lyfisin
1st Gear
I might even tell them it's not a good day when they call me and suggest a date for me to pick it up.
Thanks.

I got a good laugh out of that one.

I have only been checking the owner's lounge for updates but called my MA earlier today to get a better status. While the web page said it was scheduled for production on 9/27, the MA told me he shows it started production on the 25th of September and it appears that they will be finishing up assembly and quality checks today.

Old 10-03-2013, 08:19 PM
b00sted09
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by KennyR
Yes it's a body kit, so at least you can order one from your dealer or other sources and have it painted and installed. The JCW body kit is $1999 at OutMotoring, plus cost of painting and installation, maybe $1500 more than if you ordered it at the time of the build. The MINI production process is much more complex than other brands due to the multiple configurations. To pull and have the correct parts, different trim kits, wheels, etc. for each different MINI coming down the line, they have to stop the change process 8-10 days before the actual build starts. Most of the 8 build days are just getting the parts in place and correct order on the line.
The reason why I changed my mind about the jcw kit is I didn't know it included the xenon lights (which is $500 if bought separately). So, basically I'm just adding another $1500 to get the jcw kit since I have xenon lights in my original order. I'm really saving $$$ with the kit coz it includes the 17" challenger rims vs getting the kit and wheels aftermarket... sucks :(

Old 10-03-2013, 08:20 PM
MINIDraftFarm
2nd Gear
It's official. All of the MINIs that were on the Michigan Highway are off. The Michigan Highway left Brunswick port just a bit ago.

Old 10-03-2013, 08:26 PM
MINIDraftFarm
2nd Gear
Congrats!!!! Looks awesome and you look super happy. I hope I'm that happy when I pick mine up!

Old 10-03-2013, 09:02 PM
hobbes75
1st Gear
The Toronto is almost at the port!!!! ETA for Port PORT HUENEME is 4 hours from now.

How long from the time it gets their till its through the VDC and on a car carrier to my dealer?

Track here!

Old 10-03-2013, 09:57 PM
tampadave
5th Gear
Originally Posted by hobbes75
The Toronto is almost at the port!!!! ETA for Port PORT HUENEME is 4 hours from now.

How long from the time it gets their till its through the VDC and on a car carrier to my dealer?

Track here!
That's the $64 question. Mine entered the VDC 24 hours ago. My MA sent me a "screen shot" of the Vehicle Inquiry Status Report showing my Roadster undergoing transport Sunday and delivery occurring Monday. That implies that my MINI will require 72 hours VDC processing time (all day Thursday, Friday and Saturday). Seems like a lot of time. Per my MA, it's possible the vehicle may be delivered Saturday since VDC times are estimates. We'll see. I'm hoping for Saturday, but I'm resigned to Monday since the dealership is closed Sunday.

My dealership's an hour's drive from Baltimore. If processing time is 48 hours versus 72 hours, my Roadster may arrive Saturday.

Last edited by tampadave; 10-03-2013 at 10:02 PM.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:09 PM
b00sted09
3rd Gear
Or......you could opt out of that order (lose your 1K deposit) and reorder. Sounds like it would save you $500 bucks?
They actually didn't charge me for a deposit.
All the paper works were very informal.

Old 10-04-2013, 03:50 AM
swjtx
2nd Gear
They actually didn't charge me for a deposit.
All the paper works were very informal.
No deposit? Well then you could save $1500 by opting out and re-ordering. What are you going to do?

Old 10-04-2013, 04:06 AM
swjtx
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by RottVet
Just talked to my MA, My clubbie will be in the dealership the 9th or the 10th. There is a bad weather front coming through, so it may take the Northern route.(I-40?) Doesn't look like our rides will be on the same truck, swjtx!! Hate that, but hope you get yours before I get mine! I am ready to jump behind the wheel of that bad boy.. Less than a week.........:
I think our rides will be on the same truck. I only said the 12th because that's really the earliest I'd want to pick it up so I was just saying I think it would make it there at least by the 12th. More likely earlier.

The danger with letting it sit on the lot a few days is that I've spec'd such a sweet config that anyone visiting the dealership that sees it will be pounding my MA's desk to sell it to them. hmm... I should warn him to keep in on the back lot, out of sight. Wonder what my recourse is if someone goes in there waving a bunch of money around and my MA sells it out from under me?

I can see it now......I go in the 12th and my MA is sitting at his desk with his head buried in his hands, weeping... he looks up with tears in his eyes (and pockets bursting with money) and proceeds to tell me about the most unusual earthquake that caused the earth to open up under my car, swallow it whole, and slam shut leaving a barely noticeable crack in the pavement. Only thing left is the 2nd copy of the window sticker.....boo hoo.

Last edited by swjtx; 10-04-2013 at 04:12 AM.
Old 10-04-2013, 04:44 AM
tampadave
5th Gear
I think our rides will be on the same truck. I only said the 12th because that's really the earliest I'd want to pick it up so I was just saying I think it would make it there at least by the 12th. More likely earlier.

The danger with letting it sit on the lot a few days is that I've spec'd such a sweet config that anyone visiting the dealership that sees it will be pounding my MA's desk to sell it to them. hmm... I should warn him to keep in on the back lot, out of sight. Wonder what my recourse is if someone goes in there waving a bunch of money around and my MA sells it out from under me?

I can see it now......I go in the 12th and my MA is sitting at his desk with his head buried in his hands, weeping... he looks up with tears in his eyes (and pockets bursting with money) and proceeds to tell me about the most unusual earthquake that caused the earth to open up under my car, swallow it whole, and slam shut leaving a barely noticeable crack in the pavement. Only thing left is the 2nd copy of the window sticker.....boo hoo.
My dealership had a buyer for a $43,000 loaded '13 Roadster JCW. I know they were certain of the sale, though I'm unsure whether he had paid a deposit. They still let me test drive it and the guy picked it up days later. Check your mileage carefully!

Old 10-04-2013, 05:04 AM
TNMiniMama
6th Gear
I remember when I ordered my first MINI (Mocha, who's pictured below). I was on here every minute tracking, and talking, and having fun- met some really great folks that way, many of whom remain very good friends. We see each other during MINI events, like MOTD (MINIS on the Dragon), MTTS (MINIS Take the States), etc. Fun times... as in, I thought I cracked a rib laughing so hard fun times!

I think Julep (my 2014 Convertible S) maybe in port. I don't think I have any VDC add ons- I save some of those for times when I can purchase later ~ For those of you who are wanting to add on things, and either forgot, or couldn't do it, you might want to check and see if
1) it might not be less expensive to have a reputable company, like Way Motor Works, do some work for you (Way put a sway bar, a JCW air intake and, after my warranty was over, did some ECU tuning to Mocha. Made a HUGE difference); or
2) join a local club... sometimes (and I repeat, SOMETIMES) the clubs get a discount on PARTS at the dealership. You have to check and see... Might be worth investigating!

As to detailing <sigh>... I live on a farm and have a 1/4 mile gravel driveway, after going on a 5-7 miles on a chip & tar road, so my clubbie (Mocha) is ALWAYS filthy. That said, just hosing her off makes a HUGE difference. I really, really like the Prima products, but use the Maguilar's quick detailer & clay bar... LOVE the clay bar.

There's a really good thread, I think a lot of it has been stickied, called Detailing for the Non-OCD. There's a LOT of great info in there ~ and some funny comments as well.

At events, like MOTD, MTTS, MOT (MINIS on Top), etc, there is always a vendor's row- so the folks from Prima are there and you can get some deals. My advice, if you plan on going to an event and getting some work done, is to make reservations for a time slot with the vendor, PRIOR to the event. The vendors book up quickly. I'm going to have a hitch put on Julep, so will contact the fine folks at MINI FINI to make sure I have a slot prior to going to the Dragon this Spring. I have a MINI FINI hitch on Mocha, and a bike rack... LOVE it! Got a ball as well, and am now looking for a small tag along flat bed (so I don't have to put hay, landscaping items, etc in my car). I also want, someday, to get a Lil' Guy or TAB trailer... <sigh> So many mods... so little time! <giggle>

OH- anyone wanting info on racks, there are some great threads on NAM about that as well- I have a fairing on Mocha, which I got aftermarket (REI). Mocha's racks, installed at the dealership, were Thule. I don't know if MINI still contracts with Thule to do the racks (they're a hair different is size than the regular THULE aero's, so THULE stuff fits).

Hope you have a GREAT day and that all your MINIS come true!

Old 10-04-2013, 06:40 AM
b00sted09
3rd Gear
No deposit? Well then you could save $1500 by opting out and re-ordering. What are you going to do?
Well, they still have my credit card info they just haven't/didn't charge it...

Old 10-04-2013, 07:12 AM
KennyR
4th Gear
Originally Posted by TNMiniMama
I remember when I ordered my first MINI (Mocha, who's pictured below). I was on here every minute tracking, and talking, and having fun- met some really great folks that way, many of whom remain very good friends. We see each other during MINI events, like MOTD (MINIS on the Dragon), MTTS (MINIS Take the States), etc. Fun times... as in, I thought I cracked a rib laughing so hard fun times!

I think Julep (my 2014 Convertible S) maybe in port. I don't think I have any VDC add ons- I save some of those for times when I can purchase later ~ For those of you who are wanting to add on things, and either forgot, or couldn't do it, you might want to check and see if
1) it might not be less expensive to have a reputable company, like Way Motor Works, do some work for you (Way put a sway bar, a JCW air intake and, after my warranty was over, did some ECU tuning to Mocha. Made a HUGE difference); or
2) join a local club... sometimes (and I repeat, SOMETIMES) the clubs get a discount on PARTS at the dealership. You have to check and see... Might be worth investigating!

As to detailing <sigh>... I live on a farm and have a 1/4 mile gravel driveway, after going on a 5-7 miles on a chip & tar road, so my clubbie (Mocha) is ALWAYS filthy. That said, just hosing her off makes a HUGE difference. I really, really like the Prima products, but use the Maguilar's quick detailer & clay bar... LOVE the clay bar.

There's a really good thread, I think a lot of it has been stickied, called Detailing for the Non-OCD. There's a LOT of great info in there ~ and some funny comments as well.

At events, like MOTD, MTTS, MOT (MINIS on Top), etc, there is always a vendor's row- so the folks from Prima are there and you can get some deals. My advice, if you plan on going to an event and getting some work done, is to make reservations for a time slot with the vendor, PRIOR to the event. The vendors book up quickly. I'm going to have a hitch put on Julep, so will contact the fine folks at MINI FINI to make sure I have a slot prior to going to the Dragon this Spring. I have a MINI FINI hitch on Mocha, and a bike rack... LOVE it! Got a ball as well, and am now looking for a small tag along flat bed (so I don't have to put hay, landscaping items, etc in my car). I also want, someday, to get a Lil' Guy or TAB trailer... <sigh> So many mods... so little time! <giggle>

OH- anyone wanting info on racks, there are some great threads on NAM about that as well- I have a fairing on Mocha, which I got aftermarket (REI). Mocha's racks, installed at the dealership, were Thule. I don't know if MINI still contracts with Thule to do the racks (they're a hair different is size than the regular THULE aero's, so THULE stuff fits).

Hope you have a GREAT day and that all your MINIS come true!
wow...I don't think I've ever seen someone with 4200 posts before...Thanks for sharing your stories!!!

Last edited by KennyR; 10-04-2013 at 07:13 AM. Reason: typo
Old 10-04-2013, 08:04 AM
tampadave
5th Gear
Well, they still have my credit card info they just haven't/didn't charge it...
I gave them a $1,000 check and they cashed it two weeks before my delivery date. I believe they intend to charge your card for the mandatory order deposit. MINI dealerships are not in the habit of ordering customized vehicles without accepting a non-refundable deposit.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:21 AM
linak
2nd Gear
b00sted09 & tdave

Originally Posted by tampadave
I gave them a $1,000 check and they cashed it two weeks before my delivery date. I believe they intend to charge your card for the mandatory order deposit. MINI dealerships are not in the habit of ordering customized vehicles without accepting a non-refundable deposit.
Geez - our $3,000 check cleared the next business day after ordering our MINI! Your guys are much more trusting than ours . . . or is it because we live in the tri-state area?

Old 10-04-2013, 08:55 AM
KilmerPT
5th Gear
Originally Posted by tampadave
I guess custom orders work differently for each dealership. My deposit is fully refundable for any reason per my MA. Of course, I have no intention of backing out now lol

Quick Reply: "Those waiting for a 2014" Support Group