1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Those waiting for a 2014" Support Group

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 01:32 PM
Spicy13
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes!

Originally Posted by swjtx
No idea when my Clubman S will arrive at dealership. My MA habitually uses terms like "soon". He's so vague about everything I wonder if he's been sued or beat up for providing more specific estimates that didn't pan out in the past.

He would commit to a Saturday 12 Oct pickup so it must be there already...?

I'll check for the heat shield. Mine is an S so has the scoop. I'll probably install it if it's not there. Assuming it's not hot enough to burn you other wise it would be a safety issue but seems like in addition to warping it could affect the paint over the long term and the durability of any wax/coatings applied.

Don't like the description of the heat shield kit posted earlier. Expanding Clips = Rattle

Mini Purchase Process:

Web Configurator = Buncha cool stuff I can't afford
Test Drive = Ok, I want one.
MA = Factory trained to agree with your opinion about every option (yea, Nav sucks and you can use your smart phone)
Price = You might be able to negotiate some discount if you're buying one off the lot. Not so much when you're ordering to your spec.
On Order = Buyers remorse. OMG what did I just spend for a skateboard?
Scheduled for production = Ok good. It's almost over.
After a week = Are there really that many orders ahead of mine?
After 2 weeks = Why does it take so long to put one together? Isn't that what they do there? Did my order get lost? Is there a parts shortage? Are the workers on strike?
Awaiting Transport = Ok good. It's almost over.
After a week = Guess they're letting the paint dry really well before shipping.
After 2 weeks = When did it get to the dock? What ship is scheduled next? Did mine make it on that one? Is it on WW or Kline? I put the VIN in the Cargo ID block and it says not found.
Aboard Ship = MA gives you ship name. You can see it steaming away from port. Ok good. It's almost over
After a week = Lost in the N. Atlantic. You learn that AIS receivers have limited range. They can't see past ~50 miles offshore. Isn't that where the Titanic went down?
After 2 weeks = Spotted off the East coast of the US. Ok good. It's almost over. Wait, it has to make 3 stops before it gets to the port where it will unload my Mini.
At the VDC = Ok, good. It's almost over.
After a week = Should have only taken 3-4 days. Longer must mean there is a problem. Was it damaged in shipment? Are they trying to install options the factory missed?
On the truck = Ok, good. It's almost over. MA confirmed it is loaded and has departed VDC.
After 3 days = What route did it take? How many stops did it have to make? Did they mistakenly leave my car at another dealership? I could have driven to the VDC and back 3 times already.
Arrival at dealership = ? No idea, I haven't gotten this far yet.
This should be mandatory reading for every soon-to-be OCD owner that feels compelled to know exactly where his car is at every moment.

My wife's Mini rolled off the Don Juan in New York on 10/2. Last week the dealer said we should have it by Saturday. As of this writing (Tuesday afternoon) it's still at the VDC, "being worked on" according to ASK-MINI.

She ordered the Sport Stripe, so I'm hoping that's what they've been working on for the last couple of days, and not a bunch of paintless dent removals from a rough sea journey. Anyone know how long it generally takes to get a car processed through the VDC in NY and loaded onto a truck?

Our dealership is 4 hours from the VDC if they don't make any other stops along the way, so it's conceivable that it could arrive the same day - but based on your post, I won't get my hopes up.

Old 10-08-2013, 02:44 PM
RottVet
1st Gear
"Those waiting for a 2014" Support Group-image.jpg

Here is my boy, arrived this am. Still in diapers. Think I will give him the moniker of the Great Pumpkin. Hope this pic comes through!
My MA did come through. She was awesome. Will pick him up Saturday. Want to have plenty of time to relish the experience. Should be able to operate the clutch by that time. Off of meds and on cloud nine!

Old 10-08-2013, 03:00 PM
tampadave
5th Gear
Originally Posted by RottVet
Attachment 82348

Here is my boy, arrived this am. Still in diapers. Think I will give him the moniker of the Great Pumpkin. Hope this pic comes through!
My MA did come through. She was awesome. Will pick him up Saturday. Want to have plenty of time to relish the experience. Should be able to operate the clutch by that time. Off of meds and on cloud nine!
Gotta love the "Great Pumpkin"! I'm anxious to see GP when he sheds his diapers and gets outside. Congratulations, RottVet!

Old 10-08-2013, 03:57 PM
Grumpy_i_m
2nd Gear
Attachment 82348

Congratulations..
Love the color.. Happy Motoring!

Old 10-08-2013, 03:59 PM
Grumpy_i_m
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by tampadave
Gotta love the "Great Pumpkin"! I'm anxious to see GP when he sheds his diapers and gets outside. Congratulations, RottVet!
TDave:
Is that John Bull in the Drive... Looks fine!

Old 10-08-2013, 04:00 PM
BobK500
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Spicy13
This should be mandatory reading for every soon-to-be OCD owner that feels compelled to know exactly where his car is at every moment.

My wife's Mini rolled off the Don Juan in New York on 10/2. Last week the dealer said we should have it by Saturday. As of this writing (Tuesday afternoon) it's still at the VDC, "being worked on" according to ASK-MINI.

She ordered the Sport Stripe, so I'm hoping that's what they've been working on for the last couple of days, and not a bunch of paintless dent removals from a rough sea journey. Anyone know how long it generally takes to get a car processed through the VDC in NY and loaded onto a truck?

Our dealership is 4 hours from the VDC if they don't make any other stops along the way, so it's conceivable that it could arrive the same day - but based on your post, I won't get my hopes up.
Mine arrived on the Don Juan also. I'm scheduled to pick mine up from my dealer in Long Island this THursday the 10th.

Old 10-08-2013, 04:03 PM
BobK500
1st Gear
Originally Posted by RavenGirl
Hooray, my car is now awaiting a ship assignment.
That's good news. Keep checking the WW site for an assignment. Hopefully it will be on a WW ship, their tracking is pretty good.

Old 10-08-2013, 04:35 PM
MINIDraftFarm
2nd Gear
I spoke to my MA yesterday. Another car that is going to the same dealership that also came in on the same ship was loaded onto a truck yesterday morning. It also had driving lights installed at the VDC. He said he figured mine would be loaded at any time. I check back with him yesterday evening before dealership closing time. Nope, still at the VDC being worked on. Of course, my MA is off today So now I'm in the phase of what happened to it on that ship I'm hoping to hear tomorrow morning that it was loaded earlier today.

Tampa Dave, John Bull looks awesome! I real stunner ever time I scroll past a pic. I had to have a Countryman due to the kids, and I can't wait. When I see yours, I'm kind of ready for the kids to grow up so I can have a little 2 seater too, lol.

Old 10-08-2013, 04:47 PM
tampadave
5th Gear
Grumpy and MINIDraftFarm,

Yes indeed, that is John Bull in the driveway. Thank you both for the compliments. My daughters are 22 and 25, college graduates, one of whom is married. Just have to worry about transporting myself and, on occasion, my wife. She has the Jaguar XF, of course, so we're all set. The Roadster is simply amazing to drive, particularly with the top down. And if looks could kill, John Bull would be Jack the Ripper!

Old 10-08-2013, 05:05 PM
banderlin
2nd Gear
I remember how you're feeling. But when it gets here you can do this....
John Bull looks awesome. Even more so now that it's in your driveway. Congrats! I hope you get to leave the top down as much as possible.

Old 10-08-2013, 05:12 PM
tampadave
5th Gear
Originally Posted by banderlin
John Bull looks awesome. Even more so now that it's in your driveway. Congrats! I hope you get to leave the top down as much as possible.
Thanks, banderlin. Looks great in the driveway and even better on the road with the ragtop down. It's hard to be humble. I have my faults, but I can't find any with John Bull.

Old 10-08-2013, 05:15 PM
tampadave
5th Gear
Originally Posted by BobK500
Mine arrived on the Don Juan also. I'm scheduled to pick mine up from my dealer in Long Island this THursday the 10th.
Pictures , pictures, and more pictures. I thoroughly enjoy looking at photos of great looking MINI's. I swear, no two look alike. Good luck, BobK500!

Old 10-08-2013, 05:45 PM
QuietHarper
2nd Gear
Awesome, QH! Wait until you drive it. I've had mine 2 days and I can hardly believe it. Drove it for the first time today with the top down. Unbelievable experience and you sure get the looks!
Oh believe me-I am nearly quivering in anticipation. First stop after pickup is to get a clear bra installed, and then it's off to motoring with the top down assuming the weather gods are agreeable. Everything else is all lined up-front license plate holder should arrive the day before-and then I can give careful consideration to whatever extras strike my fancy. Not many, since I think the beast is pretty perfect as he is. (Gotta come up with an appropriate name, but nothing has come to mind yet).

Old 10-08-2013, 05:57 PM
swjtx
2nd Gear
I remember how you're feeling. But when it gets here you can do this....

Post up a picture of your new MINI and smile!
Gratz TD. Very nice ride.

I never considered ordering a car to spec before this purchase. It's a nice feeling to get everything you wanted and nothing you didn't. Not sure I'll ever be able to buy one off the lot again.

Old 10-08-2013, 05:59 PM
Spicy13
Neutral
Pictures , pictures, and more pictures. I thoroughly enjoy looking at photos of great looking MINI's. I swear, no two look alike. Good luck, BobK500!
"Those waiting for a 2014" Support Group-image-809161547.jpg

This is what we hope to find at the dealership some day this week

Old 10-08-2013, 06:04 PM
tampadave
5th Gear
Attachment 82362

This is what we hope to find at the dealership some day this week
I can't wait to see your MINI in a real photo. What a tremendous amount of flair with the paint finish and accent striping. Do you think it will glow in the dark? I admire people who act so boldly - I'm too conservative to dress up a MINI like you and so many of our compatriots here. Post your pictures ASAP when the MINI arrives!

Old 10-08-2013, 06:05 PM
swjtx
2nd Gear
Attachment 82348

Gratz RottVet! did you ask the GP about her carrier buddies? Wonder if we were on the same truck? IDK if mine got here. I told the MA I'd come over Sat and get it if he thought it would be ready. He said there's a really good chance...

My MA would hedge a bet on the sun rising tomorrow..

Once I get F-F, I'll ask about the actual arrival date and see if it matches up with yours.

Enjoy! (& betta pics plz!)

Old 10-08-2013, 06:30 PM
dshoaf
Neutral
First pic of the real car I'll be taking delivery of on Friday.

That's a 2014 Clubman S with the Hyde Park appearance package, Premium package, and heated seats. I'm wearing my best tweed jacket with arm patches to match the attitude it projects.

Cheers,

David

Attached Thumbnails "Those waiting for a 2014" Support Group-clubman-s.jpg  
Old 10-08-2013, 07:06 PM
KennyR
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by b00sted09
Did you select the All Season Tire option during your build?
Yes, all season run flats in the build...I thought Contis are the regular stock option...they were on my last MINI Cabrio S as well.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:52 PM
SheldonCoopr
2nd Gear
An informed poster told me that MINI specifically installed the insulators on cars with viper stripes because the engine heat apparently really screwed up the stripes and, in some cases, warped the scoop. I'm probably going to do it anyway, even if I have to eat the cost. I'll work my MA for a deal BEFORE I respond to the survey.
Here is what my MA said:"[FONT=MINITypeRegular]The part I think you are talking about is something they put on the cars if you ever get any warping on the hood scoop. I will send your information along to the SA and he could shed some more light on this for you. We have never had anyone install it other than in the repair or purchase just the part. Keep an eye open for an email from him."[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]Who in there right mind would wait for the hood scoop to warp before addressing the issue?[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]So far no email from the SA.[/FONT]

Old 10-08-2013, 08:13 PM
swjtx
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by dshoaf
First pic of the real car I'll be taking delivery of on Friday.

That's a 2014 Clubman S with the Hyde Park appearance package, Premium package, and heated seats. I'm wearing my best tweed jacket with arm patches to match the attitude it projects.

Cheers,

David
Nice looking! Have you already tinted the glass?

Old 10-08-2013, 08:21 PM
KennyR
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you drive your MINI moderately hard (i.e. use that turbo), you will generate a great deal of turbo heat that continues after you park (even with the turbo cooler / secondary water pump continuing to run after you shut the car off). Your plastic hood scoop will definitely warp in 2-3 years as mine did in my 2010 Cabrio.

If you don't get the heat insulation (pretty cheap), at least be sure to check your hood scoop and have it replaced under warranty before it expires.

Also for swjtx: Most of any car's plastic parts (interior doors, trim, bumpers, wheel liners, carpeting, etc. are held in place by similar expanding plastic clips...while one may occasionally loosen and rattle, it's the only realistic way to hold the insulation in place and allow it to be removed if necessary.

Old 10-09-2013, 03:41 AM
vided
2nd Gear

my wife's brcml4 shared the don juan with yours. we picked it up in white plains last night....... wowie

Old 10-09-2013, 03:47 AM
SheldonCoopr
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by KennyR
If you drive your MINI moderately hard (i.e. use that turbo), you will generate a great deal of turbo heat that continues after you park (even with the turbo cooler / secondary water pump continuing to run after you shut the car off). Your plastic hood scoop will definitely warp in 2-3 years as mine did in my 2010 Cabrio.

If you don't get the heat insulation (pretty cheap), at least be sure to check your hood scoop and have it replaced under warranty before it expires.

Also for swjtx: Most of any car's plastic parts (interior doors, trim, bumpers, wheel liners, carpeting, etc. are held in place by similar expanding plastic clips...while one may occasionally loosen and rattle, it's the only realistic way to hold the insulation in place and allow it to be removed if necessary.
I'm definitely having it added just waiting for SA to get back to me on when they can do this.

Old 10-09-2013, 04:39 AM
tampadave
5th Gear
The bonnet insulator is a must for me too. I'll try to work a price through my MA before the BMW/MINI survey arrives. Nice negotiating tool.

Quick Reply: "Those waiting for a 2014" Support Group