1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Those waiting for a 2014" Support Group

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 05:52 PM
swjtx
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=RottVet;3823287]Wow! This thread is great just to see all the cool MINI's the posters have ordered: TD's roadster is to die for, just like QH's cool cabrio, and dshoaf's HP clubman. Beginning to wonder if swjtx's rig really exists! QUOTE]

I said I was playing hard to get!

I think it's there but I'm waiting until Sat to go over and get it. No hurry...no worries.

Old 10-09-2013, 05:59 PM
swjtx
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by KennyR
The insulation in my Roadster is a thick, rubbery semi-soft blanket at least 1 inch thick. The hard plastic inserts compress the blanket slightly. While it could theoretically could partly "unfasten" if a clip were to fall out, break, etc., there is literally nothing to rattle (which was the posters concern). The clips are a different type of plastic than the hood scoop.
Nice to know. I was looking at some aftermarket shields and they were metal hence the inference to rattling.

Now we only have to worry about the blanket catching fire.

Old 10-09-2013, 06:22 PM
vided
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Spicy13
Congrats! Did you have any VDC accessories installed? We're getting a little concerned about the delay.
car is outstanding.
no acc. installed. hope yours shows up soon....

Old 10-09-2013, 06:28 PM
vided
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by hobbes75
My CM is at the dealer! He told me I could pick it up tomorrow, what kind of prep do they need to do to it that it couldn't be done today?

we pickup my wife's cm4l last night.
all 4 tires had different tire pressures and all were low..... i'm just sayin

Old 10-09-2013, 06:43 PM
Lyfisin
1st Gear
Grats to all of you who have picked up your cars recently. Thanks for the pics. I also appreciate the timelines where you are posting how long it has taken from one step in the process to the next.

Found out my mini is now awaiting transport so I'm starting to think about possible dates it might be around.

Every day I wake up is another day closer.

Lyf

Old 10-09-2013, 10:10 PM
Goldielocks
1st Gear
Hi! I'm a newbie fan. Man, why can't the CM come in pepper white?!

Anyway, how's the clutch on the 2014's guys? Was the clutch problem just on the CM's?

Old 10-10-2013, 03:35 AM
swjtx
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Goldielocks
Hi! I'm a newbie fan. Man, why can't the CM come in pepper white?!
it's got to do with the total surface area of a given panel and the adhesion properties of the pepper white formula. The electrostatic primer coating has a degradation factor of the square root of Y*pi*surface area (in mm) squared. expressed mathematically:

This of course means that there is an inherent limitation on the physical size of the panel that pepper white can be applied to and expect to adhere to over time.

That is to say the color pepper white can only be applied to mini MINI's. You won't find a better explanation anywhere.

Old 10-10-2013, 04:18 AM
b00sted09
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by swjtx
it's got to do with the total surface area of a given panel and the adhesion properties of the pepper white formula. The electrostatic primer coating has a degradation factor of the square root of Y*pi*surface area (in mm) squared. expressed mathematically: This of course means that there is an inherent limitation on the physical size of the panel that pepper white can be applied to and expect to adhere to over time. That is to say the color pepper white can only be applied to mini MINI's. You won't find a better explanation anywhere.
Wow! Mr. Walter White, I presume??

Old 10-10-2013, 04:36 AM
banderlin
2nd Gear
Well, it finally happened: last night, I dreamed that I picked up my MINI. Sitting in the drivers seat, I was playing with all of the buttons and some were doing wacky things (what, I don't really remember).

The Aida is now en route to Halifax to pick up my whisky. It has cleared mainland UK, is due south of Ireland, and is about to enter the open ocean.

~20 days to go...

Old 10-10-2013, 06:05 AM
swjtx
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by banderlin
Well, it finally happened: last night, I dreamed that I picked up my MINI. Sitting in the drivers seat, I was playing with all of the buttons and some were doing wacky things (what, I don't really remember).

The Aida is now en route to Halifax to pick up my whisky. It has cleared mainland UK, is due south of Ireland, and is about to enter the open ocean.

~20 days to go...
I had a similar dream. All those toggle switches were labeled "Warp 1", Warp 2", Warp 3", etc.

Old 10-10-2013, 12:05 PM
RavenGirl
2nd Gear
My car is still at the dock waiting for assignment. Even after it arrives I won't be able to drive it for a day or two while I wait for the hand controls to be installed. :(

Old 10-10-2013, 12:07 PM
Goldielocks
1st Gear
Swjtx, um....ok. Hahaha! Awesome response. Thank you. So a CM is too fat to wear white.

Old 10-10-2013, 12:10 PM
tampadave
5th Gear
Originally Posted by RavenGirl
My car is still at the dock waiting for assignment. Even after it arrives I won't be able to drive it for a day or two while I wait for the hand controls to be installed. :(
I'm not familiar with the installation or cost of hand controls. Is that installed at the VDC or dealership? I also wonder how long actual installation takes. By the way, how long have you been awaiting a ship assignment?

Old 10-10-2013, 12:16 PM
TheMike
2nd Gear
He's here! HE'S HERE!!!!!!

Gonna try to finalize the adoption tomorrow. What a great way to start the weekend.

Attached Thumbnails "Those waiting for a 2014" Support Group-image-3038917844.jpg  
Old 10-10-2013, 12:28 PM
tampadave
5th Gear
Originally Posted by TheMike

Gonna try to finalize the adoption tomorrow. What a great way to start the weekend.
Congratulations, TheMike! I remember mine in diapers sitting in the dealership's back lot. I couldn't wait for final cleanup and delivery. You'll definitely have a great time this weekend. We had rain yesterday and today with more expected on Friday. And I leave for Florida on Saturday. I got delivery on Monday and I think have 42 miles on board.

Old 10-10-2013, 12:40 PM
RavenGirl
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by tampadave
I'm not familiar with the installation or cost of hand controls. Is that installed at the VDC or dealership? I also wonder how long actual installation takes. By the way, how long have you been awaiting a ship assignment?
Only about 3 days, so I'm just being impatient. As for the hand controls, no they have to be installed locally here in Utah. I walk with crutches and don't have reliable use of my feet.

Old 10-10-2013, 12:41 PM
hobbes75
1st Gear

Congrats! I am going to pick mine up today!

Old 10-10-2013, 01:15 PM
QuietHarper
2nd Gear
He's here! HE'S HERE!!!!!! Gonna try to finalize the adoption tomorrow. What a great way to start the weekend.
Congrats! He's a fine lookin' specimen of Mini Cabrio goodness.

Old 10-10-2013, 01:40 PM
KilmerPT
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
:curious: Anyone here get their MINI loaded on the Tortugas today? Just checking if I got any ship mates, ahoy!

Sent from my iPhone using NAMotoring

Old 10-10-2013, 02:05 PM
tampadave
5th Gear
Originally Posted by RavenGirl
Only about 3 days, so I'm just being impatient. As for the hand controls, no they have to be installed locally here in Utah. I walk with crutches and don't have reliable use of my feet.
If hand controls help you become a MINIAC, so be it. I think the hand control system is fantastic. I simply had no idea what it took to mount the system or how costly it could be. Let's hope your MINI finds a quick ship and clear weather, RavenGirl.

Old 10-10-2013, 02:30 PM
RavenGirl
2nd Gear
If hand controls help you become a MINIAC, so be it. I think the hand control system is fantastic. I simply had no idea what it took to mount the system or how costly it could be. Let's hope your MINI finds a quick ship and clear weather, RavenGirl.
I found an image of the hand controls I'm having installed. It's costing me about $3100 but Mini is rembursing $2500 of it.

Name:  IMG_2937.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  319.1 KB

Old 10-10-2013, 02:39 PM
tampadave
5th Gear
That's awesome that MINI's picking up the bulk of the cost, RavenGirl! Discounts are a great thing. MINI (and the BMW Group) offer USAA members nice drebates - I got $1,000 off my '14 Roadster in addition to my MINI dealer discount.

Old 10-10-2013, 03:48 PM
Bunster
Neutral
That's awesome that MINI's picking up the bulk of the cost, RavenGirl! Discounts are a great thing. MINI (and the BMW Group) offer USAA members nice drebates - I got $1,000 off my '14 Roadster in addition to my MINI dealer discount.
I'm picking up Joy, my 2014 kite blue Roadster, Friday a.m. Can't wait, but I'm interested in those USAA discounts. What is USAA and is it too late to look into?

Old 10-10-2013, 03:59 PM
tampadave
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Bunster
I'm picking up Joy, my 2014 kite blue Roadster, Friday a.m. Can't wait, but I'm interested in those USAA discounts. What is USAA and is it too late to look into?
USAA is a company that sells insurance, financial products, etc., out of San Antonio, TX. You must be affiliated with the US Armed Forces, whether active duty, retired, or a dependent. Members were formerly required to be officers, but USAA has opened up most services to enlisted personnel in recent years. I'm a former US Army officer. My wife and daughters can utilize USAA. My grandchildren and their grandchildren will qualify for USAA services. If you qualify, membership is a must! Check your family tree, Bunster. 2013 and 2014 Coupes and Roadsters bring $1,000 USAA-funded rebates, though most other MINI models carry $500 rebates. If you're picking up tomorrow, I don't think you'll have sufficient time to check your qualifications FWIW.

Old 10-10-2013, 04:06 PM
SheldonCoopr
2nd Gear

Congrats you will have a blast. Let me know if you have any heat insulation under the bonnet.

Quick Reply: "Those waiting for a 2014" Support Group