1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Those waiting for a 2014" Support Group

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 11:24 AM
tampadave
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by QuietHarper
And here are the homecoming pictures.

He drives like a dream -- it's gonna be a challenge getting used to the zip of this bad boy, lemme tell you. After driving a Pathfinder for the last umpity-ump years... What a difference.
Great looking cabrio with some slick wheels, QH. I'm glad you finally got your MINI home. Looks like you have sunshine overhead to drive top down. It's been raining 3 straight days in the Mid-Atlantic region with a stalled nor'easter off our coast. Rain won't stop until I'm in Florida. So far, I have 42 miles on the odometer. But at least my Roadster still looks great sitting in the garage. I've been too busy to drive much anyway.

Old 10-11-2013, 12:57 PM
Grumpy_i_m
2nd Gear

He drives like a dream -- it's gonna be a challenge getting used to the zip of this bad boy, lemme tell you. After driving a Pathfinder for the last umpity-ump years... What a difference.
Q H:
Did you say your Cabrio has the invisible bra?
It is truly invisible in the pic's.
Great looking MINI.
Thanks for the Pic's

Old 10-11-2013, 01:00 PM
KennyR
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tampadave
I'll try when I get back from Florida. The insulator is a "must have" IMO. Have you noticed the pattern involving viper stripe owners versus stripe-less owners in terms of who gets the insulator installed as standard equipment?
Dave:

As you noted, the insulation blanket seems to be part of the "package" when you get the viper stripes (not the regular side bonnet stripes). It's a bit funny, since the stripes on my 2010 Cabrio were perfect after 4 years, while the center of the scoop sagged from the heat after the 2nd year. Have a good time in FL!

Old 10-11-2013, 01:06 PM
KennyR
4th Gear

Great looking MINI, +1 on the wheels! Nice that the long wait is over.

My wife and I really enjoyed our 2010 Cabrio S (which we would still have if I didn't get that urge to test drive a Roadster!)

Last edited by KennyR; 10-11-2013 at 01:06 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-11-2013, 01:10 PM
QuietHarper
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Grumpy_i_m
Q H:
Great looking MINI.
Thanks for the Pic's
Just need to come up with a name -- but he'll tell me when it's time, I think.

Clear bra isn't installed -- as a matter of fact, I'm sitting in the waiting room of the installer as they are doing it. I'll post a picture later, and you can judge if it is invisible enough. I'm not doing the full bonnet -- front third (to just above headlamps) and full over the stripes.

TD -- yah, I know about that dang Nor'easter. It almost caused me to miss my connection home last night -- although I had a backup plan in place to get out of Detroit on the first flight out this AM if I got stuck. But all turned out well - I got home last night, didn't sleep worth a damn, got up early even by my standards(!), and headed to the dealer a little early. They were ready for me -- so I was out in less than an hour and a half, top down, sun in the eyes (need shades now ) wind in my nearly-non-existent hair (need sunscreen ) and the radio blasting . Absolute bliss.

Old 10-11-2013, 01:24 PM
tampadave
5th Gear
Are we still waiting for any remaining "Pack 112" guys to get their vehicles? I thought QH might be the last, but I'm not sure.

KennyR, thanks for the best wishes in Florida. Nice two week break. We're staying in a condo on Indian Shores Beach right on the Gulf. I'm going to miss my Roadster a lot, but John Bull might enjoy his own vacation after the long Atlantic journey.

Old 10-11-2013, 01:34 PM
swjtx
2nd Gear
More proof of existence..

Went to pay for it today. Pick it up tomorrow if I have time.

BTW. No turbo insulation...

Attached Thumbnails "Those waiting for a 2014" Support Group-img_0379.jpg  
Old 10-11-2013, 01:42 PM
tampadave
5th Gear
Originally Posted by swjtx

Great color combo with sporty wheels! You're going to enjoy this magnificent machine. It's fantastic that you got your Clubbie to pose upside down.

Old 10-11-2013, 02:06 PM
Grumpy_i_m
2nd Gear
Are we still waiting for any remaining "Pack 112" guys to get their vehicles? I thought QH might be the last, but I'm not sure.
TDave:

I cannot be certain, but, I believe my Coupe is the last of the "Pack 112".
Last word was: "it is on a Transport to the dealer."
??? it was at the VDC for an extended stay ???
In one of our early conversations I cursed myself with a predicted Mid Oct delivery... here we are!

PS. FYI, you are allowed to drive Roadsters in the rain.

Enjoy the vacation.

Old 10-11-2013, 02:09 PM
Grumpy_i_m
2nd Gear

WOW! I have only seen them drive on the ceiling in "Men in Black"
I wonder how they got it glued to the roof?

Old 10-11-2013, 04:43 PM
swjtx
2nd Gear
Great color combo with sporty wheels! You're going to enjoy this magnificent machine. It's fantastic that you got your Clubbie to pose upside down.
Thanks. Just hope I can coax it over onto the wheels for the drive home

Old 10-11-2013, 06:59 PM
SheldonCoopr
2nd Gear

Hmm the theory of no stripe no insulation appears to be coming true! Looks like you are going to have a great amount of fun this weekend.

Old 10-11-2013, 07:57 PM
tampadave
5th Gear
TDave:

I cannot be certain, but, I believe my Coupe is the last of the "Pack 112".
Last word was: "it is on a Transport to the dealer."
??? it was at the VDC for an extended stay ???
In one of our early conversations I cursed myself with a predicted Mid Oct delivery... here we are!

PS. FYI, you are allowed to drive Roadsters in the rain.

Enjoy the vacation.
I drove it home in a thunderstorm under a tornado watch. Actually, I've been working on my tax returns (due 10/15), last minute trial motions, and some legal billing. Too busy to drive. We'll be in Florida 2 weeks, so I had to wrap everything up.

Old 10-11-2013, 08:31 PM
Grumpy_i_m
2nd Gear
I drove it home in a thunderstorm under a tornado watch. Actually, I've been working on my tax returns (due 10/15), last minute trial motions, and some legal billing. Too busy to drive. We'll be in Florida 2 weeks, so I had to wrap everything up.
Dave:
I assume you are doing quarterly returns. I have retired from those demands. Just have to do returns before April 15.
I have taken on more consulting , the time demands are less and allows more time to enjoy the grand children. Two of which are in university .
My wife and I thought of moving back to Florida but we have decided we like having the grand children and our daughters close. I also like open spaces here in Oklahoma.

Enjoy Florida and John Bull.

Old 10-11-2013, 08:54 PM
MINIDraftFarm
2nd Gear
MiniDraftFarm:
We both had MINI's that were held up at the Brunswick GA VDC My Mini arrived at the VDC prior to yours. I don't have any answers for you but I did just get notification that my MINI is now in transport to the dealer here in Oklahoma.
I don't know what the hold up was but it seems cars are now being shipped from Brunswick. Maybe "hawg huntin' " season closed and everyone is back to work.
Hawg huntin' is the best answer that I've gotten! Thanks for giving me a bit of a laugh! Being an Arkansas native, I can appreciate that My MINI's ETA to leave the VDC is Oct. 14. I hope you have your MINI soon with no further delays. I do wish they could give us specifics.

Old 10-11-2013, 08:57 PM
MINIDraftFarm
2nd Gear

KennyR, thanks for the best wishes in Florida. Nice two week break. We're staying in a condo on Indian Shores Beach right on the Gulf. I'm going to miss my Roadster a lot, but John Bull might enjoy his own vacation after the long Atlantic journey.
I'm a "Pack 112". I think mine was one of the last.

Old 10-12-2013, 02:34 AM
BobK500
1st Gear

Look nice, congratulations and good luke with it!

Old 10-12-2013, 05:46 AM
QuietHarper
2nd Gear
Q H:
Great looking MINI.
Thanks for the Pic's
Here's a pic that shows (barely) the invisible bra.

It's a little easier to see in person, but it is *extremely* subtle.

I had the bra installed over the nose to just behind the headlamps, and then over the stripes -- reason? UV. The film is a UV protectant, and if/when the bra wears out (they typically last for 6-7 years) I don't want the stripe to be two-toned. So the thing you are looking for in the picture -- look on the stripe, just above the line of the headlamps. You *might* see a line on the strip that is a little different in terms of reflection...

I also had the headlamps done as well as door edges.

This stuff is pretty amazing -- I remember seeing some of the first 'invisible' bras, and they weren't nearly this clear. The technology improves.

Attached Thumbnails "Those waiting for a 2014" Support Group-img_1369.jpg  
Old 10-12-2013, 07:25 AM
SheldonCoopr
2nd Gear

I had the bra installed over the nose to just behind the headlamps, and then over the stripes -- reason? UV. The film is a UV protectant, and if/when the bra wears out (they typically last for 6-7 years) I don't want the stripe to be two-toned. So the thing you are looking for in the picture -- look on the stripe, just above the line of the headlamps. You *might* see a line on the strip that is a little different in terms of reflection...

This stuff is pretty amazing -- I remember seeing some of the first 'invisible' bras, and they weren't nearly this clear. The technology improves.
Nice I had the full bonnet done my wife had a couple of paint chips on her 2006 cabrio high on the bonnet and did not want to take the chance with all black. The bra's are nice you can not tell its there.

Old 10-12-2013, 09:32 AM
KennyR
4th Gear

Nice job on the clear bra. I had it done exactly the same as yours on my 2010 Cabrio S since we had a gravel drive. No one (except me) was really able to tell it was on the bonnet and front bumper. It did a great job of protecting the front...no dings in any area covered by the clear bra after 4 years (did have one nice ding in the chrome windshield trim not protected).

If I understood you correctly, I don't think that a partial bra will prevent the two-toning of the stripe, since the part that is not covered could fade slightly from the uv exposure. I didn't take the bra off to check in the 4 years I had the car, but you're right that there is a slight difference in reflectivity over the stripe. Certainly not that noticeable.

The guy that installed mine also cautioned against using any type of wax or polish containing any petroleum distillates on the bra (3M), as it can cause yellowing. He gave me a can of a spray plastic cleaner/polish/protectant called "Plexus" that worked nicely.
r

Old 10-12-2013, 09:56 AM
Grumpy_i_m
2nd Gear

Q H:
I can't see it! That is an excellent job. I am going to have to have it installed.
Do you know the product name? The materials are not all created equal.

The car looks great!

Thanks for the Picture.

Old 10-12-2013, 12:16 PM
TheMike
2nd Gear
Our Julius is officially part of the family!!!!

Picked him up last night. What a great evening ride home! 50 degrees but clear. We had to ride home with the top down as we just signed the Convertible contract. .

When going through the car and paperwork, I ask whey any person should know when getting a new car. What is an acceptable break in period.

Without a hesitation, all I asked there said the same thing....just go. The sales manager actually used the words "drive it like you stole it."

We did. Holy crap what a joy to ride!!!!

Hang in there guys. If you're still waiting it's well worth the wait.

Name:  null_zpsd62069be.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  158.5 KB

Name:  null_zps05c79ff3.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  141.6 KB

Name:  null_zpsb7175ba1.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  118.6 KB

And it's own spot at home.

Name:  null_zps4a298fbc.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  80.7 KB

Old 10-12-2013, 03:00 PM
Mr. T
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Congrats on your new MINI, TheMike. It looks fantastic. Happy TDD motoring and please don't forget to wave.

Old 10-12-2013, 03:50 PM
TheMike
2nd Gear
I wave at all Mini's. I even gave one convertible an evil look (then smiled) because he didn't have his top down. It was well above freezing so he had no excuse!

God, what a fun car to drive.

Old 10-12-2013, 04:40 PM
grmnxtc
1st Gear
Pack 112 member still waiting here (and I started this thread!).

OL shows it's still at the VDC, but it's getting the JCW Big Brakes, Fog Lamp and Driving lights... so probably awaiting parts.

It also says dealer delivery expected 10/15... we will see. After it arrives at the Dealer it has to get shipped off to the body shop for some extra paint (matching bumper and lower rear C pillars to Body color) and then tint and the union Jack roof and bonnet stripes.

Then to make matters worse, I'm looking at renting a small storage locker to work on it and add all the other stuff I have stored in the garage.

Let's see.... Red GP2 seat belts, Red Ducts, Chrome scoop, Union Jack illuminated rear door sill, Lots of Union jack add-on's (maybe went a little overboard, but it's what she wants - I'm originally English ) Also dumping the Run Flats and adding the Space Saver spare in the back. I have a set of LED DRL's on order too.

I want the wife to get "her toy" all complete - before she see's it. So it may be a while before I get pictures posted - no "spy shot" leaks allowed before then.

Quick Reply: "Those waiting for a 2014" Support Group