1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Those waiting for a 2014" Support Group

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 11:25 AM
Grumpy_i_m
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tampadave
Hey, Grumpy! Congrats on the progress! I started production at precisely 2:55 AM EST in the wee hours of Wednesday morning, so we're running neck and neck in the process. When did you actually start production?

I see you're going to Brunswick, GA, versus Baltimore, MD, for me. My dealership is an hour away from Baltimore.

As for icebergs, I think we're good. It's those Atlantic hurricanes you must avoid. And I listen to nothing Al Gore has to say.
I don't have the time it started production, I just did the automated ASK MINI early this morning and got the production news and completion date.
Fuuny, I thought the same thing "we're running neck and neck in the process".
I will get a person online at ASK MINI later and see if there are addition details.

On the AL Gore front, i always quote AL when I want to say something idiotic. Of course he did invent the internet, I guess he should get prop's for Hubris.

Take care

Old 09-05-2013, 11:34 AM
tampadave
5th Gear
If you speak to an ASK MINI rep, they can tell you the exact time you started production. Apparently they can pinpoint your MINI's progress at each stage of production. Pretty cool. I got my VIN, so I imagine you received yours too. By the way, I withdrew from politics on November 3, 2012, the day before the election. Instead of political shows, I watch baseball, college football, hockey, and F1 racing. No time for Al Gore.

Old 09-05-2013, 12:26 PM
KennyR
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats on your progress! I hope you get the very first ship to Baltimore.
Actually, I think the first ships to Baltimore was sometime around 1632, and were the Ark and the Dove.

Neither one had room for a MINI...

Old 09-05-2013, 12:31 PM
TheMike
2nd Gear
My Mini is done. MY MINI IS DONE!!

Just found out from my salesman:

Production started 8/12/13 8:40:14 AM
Entry body shop/serial # assgn. 8/15/13
Entry paint shop 9/3/13
Entry assembly 9/4/13
Assembly 9/4/13
Assembly finish /quality check 9/4/13

So much for following it on the Where's Your Baby Mini site.

Old 09-05-2013, 01:31 PM
Bludevilx
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by TheMike

Entry paint shop 9/3/13
Entry assembly 9/4/13
Assembly 9/4/13

Hey TheMike, looks like we're on the exact same timeline here. Even ordered the same color MCS haha. Which port are you heading to? We might be on the same boat!

Old 09-05-2013, 01:39 PM
TheMike
2nd Gear
Cali. Then trucked to Colorado. 22 days on the boat then who knows how long to get here. :(

Old 09-05-2013, 02:04 PM
tampadave
5th Gear

Entry paint shop 9/3/13
Entry assembly 9/4/13
Assembly 9/4/13

If production started on 8/12 and your quality check occurred 9/4, your MINI was 'in production' for over 3 weeks. I thought production time was normally much less than that. My Roadster S began production on 9/4 and ASK MINI says my completion date is 9/13.

From the instructional thread in "First Gear":

"The average MINI build takes about 8 days from start to finish. MINIs are assembled in Oxford, England at a large BMW facility. The output is approximately 700 MINIs per day over 3 continuous shifts. Yes they are working 24/7 to get your MINI to you. The first 5 days of production are staging days where all the pieces and parts are put in line and grouped to go into your MINI. This seems like a long time, but it has to be perfect – the wrong piece in the wrong car would cause it to have to be taken apart and rebuilt, think about how many more days that might take! The actual assembly is done in just one day. Painting and drying typically take up Day 7 and your final quality check at the plant is completed on Day 8. Once your MINI has passed Final QA, it sits for up to 24 hours at the plant and then is loaded onto a rail car and shipped 67 miles to Southampton, England for transport!"

Last edited by tampadave; 09-05-2013 at 02:15 PM.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:57 PM
Bludevilx
2nd Gear
Cali. Then trucked to Colorado. 22 days on the boat then who knows how long to get here. :(
Oh. Well here's to hoping we aren't sitting too long before we make the trip to the VDC.

Old 09-05-2013, 03:17 PM
KennyR
4th Gear
If production started on 8/12 and your quality check occurred 9/4, your MINI was 'in production' for over 3 weeks. I thought production time was normally much less than that. My Roadster S began production on 9/4 and ASK MINI says my completion date is 9/13.

From the instructional thread in "First Gear":

"The average MINI build takes about 8 days from start to finish. MINIs are assembled in Oxford, England at a large BMW facility. The output is approximately 700 MINIs per day over 3 continuous shifts. Yes they are working 24/7 to get your MINI to you. The first 5 days of production are staging days where all the pieces and parts are put in line and grouped to go into your MINI. This seems like a long time, but it has to be perfect – the wrong piece in the wrong car would cause it to have to be taken apart and rebuilt, think about how many more days that might take! The actual assembly is done in just one day. Painting and drying typically take up Day 7 and your final quality check at the plant is completed on Day 8. Once your MINI has passed Final QA, it sits for up to 24 hours at the plant and then is loaded onto a rail car and shipped 67 miles to Southampton, England for transport!"
Yes, but don't forget that the entire Oxford factory "took a 2 week break" right in the middle of his production run. That pretty much accounts for the entire time between the start of production and finish.

Old 09-05-2013, 03:17 PM
TheMike
2nd Gear
I'll drink to that!!

Old 09-05-2013, 05:18 PM
SheldonCoopr
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by KennyR
Yes, but don't forget that the entire Oxford factory "took a 2 week break" right in the middle of his production run. That pretty much accounts for the entire time between the start of production and finish.
Yeah I fell right in the middle of shutdown as well. Production completion still on track for 9/6.

So do you have a pickup date yet for yours????? Looking forward to seeing your pics

Dave a.k.a Sheldon "Big Bang"

Old 09-05-2013, 05:34 PM
KennyR
4th Gear
Yep, many MINIacs visiting this thread (including the now-infamous PACK 112 group) had the fun of experiencing their own National Lampoon's European Vacation Shutdown. Looks like everything is moving along now as it should for we impatient Americans.

No delivery date yet in sight...still may be at the Baltimore VDC. I may contact ,y MA and Ask MINI to see if they have any updates. Not sure if it is answered in the 'Track You MINI thread', but do cars being delivered to the Midwest get shipped in one of those large auto-transport trains, or via truck carrier?

Old 09-05-2013, 05:35 PM
tampadave
5th Gear
I'll drink to that!!
Hand me a glass of The Macallan, Mike, and I'll drink to about anything. Cheers!

Old 09-05-2013, 05:41 PM
SheldonCoopr
2nd Gear
Yep, many MINIacs visiting this thread (including the now-infamous PACK 112 group) had the fun of experiencing their own National Lampoon's European Vacation Shutdown. Looks like everything is moving along now as it should for we impatient Americans.

No delivery date yet in sight...still may be at the Baltimore VDC. I may contact ,y MA and Ask MINI to see if they have any updates. Not sure if it is answered in the 'Track You MINI thread', but do cars being delivered to the Midwest get shipped in one of those large auto-transport trains, or via truck carrier?
Track your Mini thread says Trucking. I'll ask "Father" to put in a good word for you with the man upstairs to push your delivery along so you have for the weekend

Old 09-05-2013, 08:04 PM
Mr. T
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hand me a glass of The Macallan, Mike, and I'll drink to about anything. Cheers!
No drinking and driving, Dave.

Old 09-05-2013, 08:10 PM
14PacemanS
2nd Gear
My status has changed....and I don't mean FB!!

OL now says awaiting transport!!! That means it's done...and my MA told me yesterday it was still in production. Shows how much she knows, OL is slow to update so it must have been completed a few days ago.

Now the REAL wait begins...getting on a ship.

Old 09-05-2013, 08:40 PM
KennyR
4th Gear
Originally Posted by 14PacemanS
My status has changed....and I don't mean FB!!

OL now says awaiting transport!!! That means it's done...and my MA told me yesterday it was still in production. Shows how much she knows, OL is slow to update so it must have been completed a few days ago.

Now the REAL wait begins...getting on a ship.
OL was totally useless for me to know what was happening after my car was in production. If you know your car is awaiting transport, go to the WW shipping web site and enter your VIN into their "track Shipment" box. If they are being used to ship, your data will pop up and you'll know much more than MINI ever did.

WW updates their shipping info in real time, so you'll know exactly when they receive it, when it's loaded, when it leaves port and arrives, goes through customs, and is discharged (leaves the ship).

This only works on WW, so if you get on a K-Line ship, it's not as easy to track. Hope you get lucky with WW.

Old 09-05-2013, 08:57 PM
QuietHarper
2nd Gear
I have a VIN! I guess that means the build has officially started. Yay!

Old 09-05-2013, 08:59 PM
14PacemanS
2nd Gear
OL was totally useless for me to know what was happening after my car was in production. If you know your car is awaiting transport, go to the WW shipping web site and enter your VIN into their "track Shipment" box. If they are being used to ship, your data will pop up and you'll know much more than MINI ever did.

WW updates their shipping info in real time, so you'll know exactly when they receive it, when it's loaded, when it leaves port and arrives, goes through customs, and is discharged (leaves the ship).

This only works on WW, so if you get on a K-Line ship, it's not as easy to track. Hope you get lucky with WW.

Surprisingly, OL has been faster than MA. That wasn't true on the first one I ordered, it was always about 2 weeks behind. BUT not this go round!!! Going to check WW next....

No info yet from WW....status just changed today, so I believe it's too early.

Last edited by 14PacemanS; 09-05-2013 at 09:08 PM.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:58 AM
TJANK
4th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
I have been checking the WW site daily and finally to my delight my VIN appeared. Looks likes my Countryman built in Graz, Austria finally loaded on the ship in Bremerhaven, Germany. Next stop is Southampton to pick up other Mini friends and off to Baltimore set to arrive on the 20th.

Old 09-06-2013, 03:14 AM
Bludevilx
2nd Gear
Congrats TJANK! I'm hoping to catch that same ship once it comes through Southampton.

Old 09-06-2013, 05:02 AM
SheldonCoopr
2nd Gear
My "Penny" she has been built and is awaiting transport to the carrier. I have set my expectations for her to hit the water on the 15th. It would be a minor miracle for her to ship to Jersey City on the ship leaving the 8th. I will check the WW Caargo site here shortly and multiple times over the weekend I'm sure.

I have joinied a growing group of Miniacs awating transport dodging TampaDave's fictitious Cat 5 storms filling the Atlantic at this moment.

We will be opening a bottle of Two Hands "Ares" to toast her completion this evening.

Old 09-06-2013, 05:30 AM
tampadave
5th Gear
May all your ships cross the Atlantic untouched by hurricanes and icebergs!

Old 09-06-2013, 07:12 AM
Grumpy_i_m
2nd Gear
Hey, Grumpy! Congrats on the progress! I started production at precisely 2:55 AM EST in the wee hours of Wednesday morning, so we're running neck and neck in the process. When did you actually start production?

I see you're going to Brunswick, GA, versus Baltimore, MD, for me. My dealership is an hour away from Baltimore.

As for icebergs, I think we're good. It's those Atlantic hurricanes you must avoid. .

T Dave
I was thinking about your VDC only 1 hour away from your dealer.

I did a Mapquest on my VDC in Brunswick GA to Dealer here in "The Nations" .....
1171.75 miles19 hrs 6 mins / 19 hrs 45 mins based on current traffic.

It's all good.

Old 09-06-2013, 07:50 AM
hobbes75
1st Gear
Originally Posted by TJANK
I have been checking the WW site daily and finally to my delight my VIN appeared. Looks likes my Countryman built in Graz, Austria finally loaded on the ship in Bremerhaven, Germany. Next stop is Southampton to pick up other Mini friends and off to Baltimore set to arrive on the 20th.
My Countryman was released to carrier on the 28th but still not showing up on WW site. Hoping it made it on the ship!

Quick Reply: "Those waiting for a 2014" Support Group