1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible new owner, looking for direction.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 11:40 AM
Shingo
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possible new owner, looking for direction.

Hey all, just registered, always loved the look and performance of the Mini.

Since they showed up on the SCCA events almost 14 years ago (right?), always had a bit of respect for the little guy who made time trials a challenge.

I am thinking of purchasing a Mini, I sold my VW GTi MK4 1.8t earlier this year, and I've been biking to work, and its good, but I'm tired of driving the family car (2010 GMC Acadia - The Van of SUVs).

I was really pushing to get a Mazda MX-5 Miata, the NC body (2006-current), but my wife kept saying how impractical a two seater would be since I've got 3 kids and one more due in November. So I started looking around...

I'm wondering if theres anything you all can point me to read/research that would tell me the differences of the different models/years?

As far as I know, I'm looking for a Turbo over a supercharged, Cooper S.

But for example, the Miata had a change in the NC body life, from 2009 on, the engine internals were forged, and the LSD only comes on the 6 speed.

I'm looking for that kind of nuggets, so I can start pricing out how much to spend and what to look for.

Thanks guys.

-Shingo
Northern Va

Old 08-09-2013, 11:44 AM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts
Welcome. This forum is a good place to start and so is http://www.motoringfile.com/
Lots of Pros and cons for owning a R56S turbo. Lots of things to look for.
I will let others answer that. Good luck and keep us posted on your search.

Old 08-09-2013, 12:52 PM
Mr KaNuke
1st Gear
All "S" model MINIs newer than 06 are turbo, not supercharged. I would say look at the MINI Clubman S. if you've got 4 kids (congrats) then you'll probably need a little extra room. It also comes with a spare tire, which the Cooper does not. The bad thing about MINICoopers is that if you play sports or anything that requires bulky equipment, you're gonna run into space issues. The plus side is that a MINI will get upwards of 40mpg going at highway speed and is so fun to drive. I always love when I'm able to squeeze through tight gaps that most cars don't bother to even try. Good for parking. The clubman has lots of room in the trunk and gives the kids a little extra leg room. The only bad thing that REALLY bothers me is BMW. They have such awful customer service and insane prices. But besides that I love my MINI. wish I had a clubman but the Cooper is just as awesome!

PS. Don't bother with the countryman. It's a waste of gas for very little extra room. Plus many people (including myself) don't believe it should even be called a MINI

Old 08-09-2013, 01:13 PM
Shingo
Neutral
Great info.

I'm gonna probably push for the convertible, since I can walk or ride my bike to work, and this is going to be purely a treat for myself. Ofcourse the family can ride with me, but I'm really looking for a mid/high level trim with performance features.

I agree with you about BMW, sadly its the only choice for OEM parts, right?

Is there an FAQ with trim break downs ? or special edition features ?

-I've started a collection of images on my desktop, cant wait to learn more.

Old 08-09-2013, 01:26 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
You can learn a lot and see many Special Editions on http://www.motoringfile.com/
You can use these for OEM parts

http://www.pelicanparts.com/index.ht...FVFp7AodgwMAGg

http://www.ecstuning.com/

These are great places to start.

Just an FYI 2002-2008 R52 MINI S Convertibles were supercharged. In 2009 they changed to the R56 body style.

Old 08-10-2013, 11:29 AM
Mr KaNuke
1st Gear
The neat thing about MINIs is that there are no trims, so you can get anything you want. Just pick between: A normal convertible, a S Model, or the JCW. Then from there you can add anything you want. My suggestion is add "packages". Get the luxury and technology packages, or whatever ones you'd like. I believe they usually save you money in the end

Old 08-10-2013, 12:56 PM
Shingo
Neutral
Well, after several hours of reading and research...

I think the supercharger whine, deserves another test drive, and might be the winner here... for me atleast.

Learning soo much, thanks guys.

Old 08-10-2013, 01:02 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Shingo
Well, after several hours of reading and research...

I think the supercharger whine, deserves another test drive, and might be the winner here... for me atleast.

Learning soo much, thanks guys.
Uh Oh. LOL.

Old 08-10-2013, 01:07 PM
Mr KaNuke
1st Gear
I hope you realize there are no more supercharged MINIs unless you're getting an old pre-2006. but you do get the turbo noise!

Old 08-10-2013, 01:24 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Mr KaNuke
I hope you realize there are no more supercharged MINIs unless you're getting an old pre-2006. but you do get the turbo noise!
Unless he gets a convertible R52 which lasted until 2008.

Old 08-10-2013, 02:02 PM
Shingo
Neutral
video evidence ?

These guys give it a decent review and pointed out the 08 has the spedo behind the wheel instead of center console ? Is it only the 08 ?

Yea, I'm really leaning towards the older supercharged model now, and with minor mods you can creap towards 200hp according to http://www.promini.com/ 's article and project cars proof... dunno if they're a reputable dealer but replacing the pulley, intake and exhaust they claim a 210hp gain.

Those are future fancy's, I'm really just loving the possibility of a top down supercharged car that handles really well.

Old 08-10-2013, 03:03 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
200+hp is really easy with the SC MINI. The whine is intoxicating and causes you to smile every time your foot hits the gas. Good luck with your search and keep us posted.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:22 PM
Shingo
Neutral
Ok, I hat a fit of madness and thought to my self....

Hey, why dont you go back to an o6/o7 WRX, you love AWD, and you had one before and loved it!?

So I went out, test drove a wagon, they look nice, and then looked at the carfax (it had one accident reported) and decided, nope.....

So on my way home, I stopped off at the Mini dealer, and they forced me into the roadster S, and my good good lord.... sweet jebus I cant imagine why I went astray.

Also drove a nice 05 with some aftermarket parts, that had a bit of a exhaust burble that sounded very nice, but I think I need to see numbers to back up my experience, does the supercharger have less low end torque ? It really felt like it in second gear.

I'm back, I want a turbo, sc whine is attractive, but I'm ready for turbo. Forgive me ladies and gents.

Pricing ? - according to KBB I'm expecting to spend around 16k -18k ? is that right? (09-10)

What common problems do the turbo engines have ? leaky head ? waste-gate problems ?
-Anything is appreciated.

Off to see the member classifieds...