1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of purchasing a MINI

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 01:23 PM
Minkota
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking of purchasing a MINI

I am considering my first MINI purchase. After some research I am think the oldest should be a 2004, but 05-06 is a little better. Either way no matter the year I am getting a standard transmission. My problem is the are more 04 models in my price range. I am thinking I should avoid the S model so I won't have supercharger issues but am wondering how prevalent the supercharger issues are. The car I am currently interested in is a 2004 MINI Cooper S with 90k miles and is supposedly in excellent condition. Should I avoid buying an 04 altogether? Should I avoid buying an S model altogether. I will be using the car as a daily driver and travel about 60 miles a day round trip.

Old 08-20-2013, 06:10 AM
fridayxiii
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
There are a couple of general rules that apply to the questions you raise.

1) 2005-06 MINIs are the best of the first gen cars as many issues from prior years had been sorted.
2) Forced-induction cars (either supercharged or turbocharged) have extra parts that can break or wear out as compared to the naturally aspirated cars (non-S's). With this, some consider the "justa" Coopers more reliable. It's possible - maybe even likely - that a SC or turbo car will have been driven harder by previous owners.

With that, I'd urge you to check out the First Gen forums. You'll find many threads on the reliability of the superchargers, discussions of miles-before-replacement, costs, etc.

The answers are really subjective, based on your individual, personal preferences. Are you a speed demon or acceleration junky? Are you addicted to the whine of a supercharger? Are you just happy rowing gears & revving the peppy little engine?

I'd recommend that you drive both. See if the power you get in the S is something you need/want/must have, or if a "justa" fits your needs. If you're buying from a private seller or non-MINI dealer lot, get a pre-purchase inspection (PPI) done at a MINI dealer or experienced independent mechanic so you know what repairs you may be facing in the near future.

You say there "are more" 04's in your price range; I infer that there are some 05/06's that might be in your range. First, figure out if you want a SC or NA car, then look at options & colors to figure out what's a "must have" vs. a "nice to have" then get the best car you can for your price.

Good luck!

Old 08-20-2013, 06:28 AM
Minkota
Neutral
Originally Posted by fridayxiii
There are a couple of general rules that apply to the questions you raise.

1) 2005-06 MINIs are the best of the first gen cars as many issues from prior years had been sorted.
2) Forced-induction cars (either supercharged or turbocharged) have extra parts that can break or wear out as compared to the naturally aspirated cars (non-S's). With this, some consider the "justa" Coopers more reliable. It's possible - maybe even likely - that a SC or turbo car will have been driven harder by previous owners.

With that, I'd urge you to check out the First Gen forums. You'll find many threads on the reliability of the superchargers, discussions of miles-before-replacement, costs, etc.

The answers are really subjective, based on your individual, personal preferences. Are you a speed demon or acceleration junky? Are you addicted to the whine of a supercharger? Are you just happy rowing gears & revving the peppy little engine?

I'd recommend that you drive both. See if the power you get in the S is something you need/want/must have, or if a "justa" fits your needs. If you're buying from a private seller or non-MINI dealer lot, get a pre-purchase inspection (PPI) done at a MINI dealer or experienced independent mechanic so you know what repairs you may be facing in the near future.

You say there "are more" 04's in your price range; I infer that there are some 05/06's that might be in your range. First, figure out if you want a SC or NA car, then look at options & colors to figure out what's a "must have" vs. a "nice to have" then get the best car you can for your price.

Good luck!
Great post! I appreciate you taking the time out to help give me some help/advice.

Old 08-20-2013, 06:51 AM
fridayxiii
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
You're welcome Hopefully some of that is useful. One thing I forgot to include is a link to the First Gen buyer's guide on MotoringFile: guide.

Post more questions as they come up, and let us know how things work out!

Old 08-20-2013, 06:59 AM
Minkota
Neutral
Originally Posted by fridayxiii
You're welcome Hopefully some of that is useful. One thing I forgot to include is a link to the First Gen buyer's guide on MotoringFile: guide.

Post more questions as they come up, and let us know how things work out!
Yes I have read that guide several times in an effort to know as much as possible. Thanks again!

Old 10-07-2013, 09:33 AM
F1USGP
1st Gear
I may be in the market soon also. Thanks for this info.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:32 PM
aschalund
Neutral
Thank you for this post. Going to look at a potential "my first mini" tomorrow.

Old 10-22-2013, 04:32 AM
ColaTownMini
2nd Gear
That's sound advice from fridayxiii. Many on here say "drive it like you stole it", try not to end up with a car that's been driven like that especially if you're looking for a reliable daily driver. I would also get a print out from a MINI dealer of the service history before you buy. Good luck!