1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Almost new owner - Countryman S

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 09:11 PM
Craig Curtis
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Almost new owner - Countryman S

Ok - looking at a '12 Countryman S (Manual). Loved it when I drive it. And drove a friends Clubman S. I feel the Countryman gives just a hair more room, which I need (actually, I need the slightly larger hatch opening for a small amount of equipment I need to haul frequently).

The thing is, I'm reluctant because its basically a BMW, and I currently have one that I can't wait to get rid of because of all of the mechanical issues. I know cars need work to run well, but the bmw is breaking the bank for me (it is a 2006 530xi - I love driving it, but man, it has lots of issues!). I mean, its on its 2nd set of engine valve seals since I bought it 2 years ago. Almost every hose and belt has been replaced. And ridiculous things like the radio won't work if its been raining, and the dealer hasn't figured out why the rear left turn indicator won't work (I suspect a short in the wiring somewhere).

Anyway, I need some help at least deciding if a mini might hopefully be at least a bit more reliable than the BMW. Or if the parts are at least a little cheaper (parts and labor). I don't expect it to be totally carefree, just better than the BMW. The Mini I'm looking at is a Countryman S 2012, and has 18000 miles give or take. So it still has its balance of the original warranty.

thanks! love reading through the site about mini's. I've learned a lot!

Last edited by Craig Curtis; 08-29-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:01 PM
Craig Curtis
2nd Gear
no one?

Old 08-29-2013, 12:21 PM
danjreed
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Craig Curtis
no one?
We hate the Countryman.

(I'm kidding..)

It's sort of a BMW.. Er.. Parts won't bolt up to a 3 series..

The n18 engine had a nice redesign in 2011 that fixed a lot of issues.

Mini is notorious for having 10k oil changes.. Most owners prefer to cut that in half..

Frankly, unless you need to fit 5 butts in seats.. Go for a Clubman.. Then again I'm biased.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:45 PM
Craig Curtis
2nd Gear
thanks danjreed. I can't imagine waiting 10000 miles between oil changes! Yea generally speaking I've been reading more about positive reliability in the mini vs bmw, but still makes me a tad nervous. But you gotta pay to play I guess. I really want to love the clubman. I do actually, its a blast to drive. Going to the dealership with my big box (the one box of equipment that I have to take for work, to see if it fits in the clubman. I would actually be fine either way, as I like both the Clubman and the Countryman.

I think the Countryman would give me a little more utility when I need it though (I'm a photographer and have to carry a certain amount of equipment to jobs and such. For the BIG jobs, wife has a lexus GX470, so we can swap if I need it. But don't actually NEED 5 butts - the used one I am looking at has the buckets in back (not the bench). It isn't a dealbreaker

Old 08-29-2013, 12:52 PM
danjreed
6th Gear
Keep in mind.. Rear seats fold flat.. So room is pretty decent.

As for reliability... Not TOO bad.. But still in need of European TLC.

Typical n18 engine issues seem to be so far mainly thermostat leaks/failures.

Are you still covered by the factory 40k bumper to bumper warranty? If so, I'd go for it.. And get the 1800 extended mainframe contract (includes 1 free clutch job).,

Old 08-29-2013, 12:59 PM
Craig Curtis
2nd Gear
yes, its still got the balance of the new warranty.
this is the one

I know the rear seats fold flat. Big issue is that this one piece of equipment I have to haul is a solid 24x15x35, so the rear hatch opening is a big concern (it is a case for computer monitor)

I'm fine for a bit of the europen tlc. Seems the overall prices are a bit less than what the BMW dealer charges too. Plus it will be under warranty (although, to be fair, the BMW has been MOSTLY behaving for the last year or so, now that I've had to replace everything). thanks for your input!

Old 08-30-2013, 04:51 AM
Craig Curtis
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by danjreed
Keep in mind.. Rear seats fold flat.. So room is pretty decent.

As for reliability... Not TOO bad.. But still in need of European TLC.

Typical n18 engine issues seem to be so far mainly thermostat leaks/failures.

Are you still covered by the factory 40k bumper to bumper warranty? If so, I'd go for it.. And get the 1800 extended mainframe contract (includes 1 free clutch job).,
ooook danjreed went yesterday and looked at the countryman again. My gear fits. But for giggles, I tried it in the clubman, and it JUST fits through the door. But the dealership was closing at that point. The one I have my eye on is a 2008, but it only has one owner (according to carfax) and 29000 miles. So now I need to do some research on here and see what I'd be getting in to with an '08, or if I should wait for something newer...

Old 08-30-2013, 06:25 AM
danjreed
6th Gear
ooook danjreed went yesterday and looked at the countryman again. My gear fits. But for giggles, I tried it in the clubman, and it JUST fits through the door. But the dealership was closing at that point. The one I have my eye on is a 2008, but it only has one owner (according to carfax) and 29000 miles. So now I need to do some research on here and see what I'd be getting in to with an '08, or if I should wait for something newer...
Ohh, 2008.. (shies away..)

The S models had some real engine issues... (timing chain, which is soon to be covered under a recall.).. And carbon buildup on the intake valves which requires a expensive cleaning every 30K or so...

I'd look for a 2011 + model..

Old 08-30-2013, 06:44 AM
Craig Curtis
2nd Gear

Ohh, 2008.. (shies away..)

The S models had some real engine issues... (timing chain, which is soon to be covered under a recall.).. And carbon buildup on the intake valves which requires a expensive cleaning every 30K or so...

I'd look for a 2011 + model..
Thanks for the advice. I've been reading about the timing chain issue and recall (provided it is within certain tolerance?). Seemed like a deal since it was low mileage. Reason I was thinking about the '08 is financial I could just pay it off and have no payment, whereas that wouldn't be the case with the countryman or new clubman. So maybe I'll just wait as it isn't something I want to rush into either (although, I am excited to be finally getting one!)

Old 08-30-2013, 10:22 AM
mbu
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not that anything is wrong with it but I am curious as to why the owners would sell it so soon. The carfax says it already had two previous owners.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:29 AM
danjreed
6th Gear
A LOT of times when there is a short term ownership.. it comes down to ..

Accident damage that was fixed under the table. (seriously doubt a CPO vehicle would be on the lot with this..)
Or, its a person who could not swing payments... so its repo'd or given back to the dealer... that sadly happens very often.

Old 08-30-2013, 12:58 PM
Craig Curtis
2nd Gear
Yea i wondered about this too. According to the dealer though, the previous owner also had the extended warranty to 100000 miles which would transfer (no doubt with a "transfer fee."

Part of my brain is telling me to through cation to the wind and get the '08 clubman s since it only had 26000 miles (and one owner). Window sticker said it has a warranty but not sure what it is yet. Here is the link for it
http://www.morristownmini.com/Vehicl...-NJ/2057282223

Carfax says one owner and clean record on that one...

Old 08-30-2013, 12:59 PM
Craig Curtis
2nd Gear
Yea i wondered about this too. According to the dealer though, the previous owner also had the extended warranty to 100000 miles which would transfer (no doubt with a "transfer fee." Part of my brain is telling me to through cation to the wind and get the '08 clubman s since it only had 26000 miles (and one owner). Window sticker said it has a warranty but not sure what it is yet. Here is the link for it http://www.morristownmini.com/Vehicl...-NJ/2057282223 Carfax says one owner and clean record on that one...

Old 08-30-2013, 01:00 PM
Craig Curtis
2nd Gear
Oops sorry for duplicate post. The iphone app is alittle wonky

Old 08-30-2013, 06:09 PM
Craig Curtis
2nd Gear
Found an '11 clubman s. its an automatic though. Not a dealbrealer but i like the rest of the car better than the '08 one. So what is it about the '11. Same car than the '08, no? Is it just an updated powertrain than the '08?

Old 08-30-2013, 06:50 PM
danjreed
6th Gear
Found an '11 clubman s. its an automatic though. Not a dealbrealer but i like the rest of the car better than the '08 one. So what is it about the '11. Same car than the '08, no? Is it just an updated powertrain than the '08?
Yea, the 11's had the updated n18 engine.. (better..)

Frankly, the stick is the way to go.

Old 08-30-2013, 07:06 PM
mbu
4th Gear

... timing chain, which is soon to be covered under a recall. ..
danjreed,

Not meaning to hijack Craig Curtis' post but would you mind elaborating on your above statement about a possible recall? Maybe an internet link or something...

Thanks...

Old 08-30-2013, 07:06 PM
Craig Curtis
2nd Gear
yea, the fact that its automatic is a little sticking point. Only problem is that my 530xi is about to need a bit of work (about $2000 worth). So I would rather trade it in sooner, then pay and still get the same amount for the trade. It has 92000 miles and I know it is downhill from here. So I am in a spot of hold out and wait for the stick, or just enjoy the auto. I live just outside of NYC and there are definitely times I think I would prefer the auto in day to day. Our long term plan is to get car #3 as a convertible, and totally kid unfriendly sports car (boxster maybe?) for the fun runs.

Old 08-30-2013, 07:10 PM
Craig Curtis
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by mbu
danjreed, Not meaning to hijack Craig Curtis' post but would you mind elaborating on your above statement about a possible recall? Maybe an internet link or something...

Thanks...
there's a slew of debate over in second gen mini stock issues forums here, about a common issue with the 08 and 09 mini s

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ms-issues-188/

just checked and it was in the top 4-5 posts (there were a few of them). Doesn't seem definitive if there is an actual recall, or if some dealers are just doing it as goodwill.

Old 08-30-2013, 07:16 PM
mbu
4th Gear
Craig,Thank you for the info and the link!

Old 08-30-2013, 07:17 PM
danjreed
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mbu
danjreed,

Not meaning to hijack Craig Curtis' post but would you mind elaborating on your above statement about a possible recall? Maybe an internet link or something...

Thanks...
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ng-chains.html

No formal word yet..

Old 08-30-2013, 07:18 PM
Craig Curtis
2nd Gear
Yea, the 11's had the updated n18 engine.. (better..)

Frankly, the stick is the way to go.
also, cars.com only showing 4 clubmans in 2011 in a 100 mile radius. The one I'm looking at tomorrow has next to lowest miles. the lowest mile on is red, which I don't want (personal choice).

Old 08-30-2013, 07:41 PM
Craig Curtis
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by mbu
Craig,Thank you for the info and the link!
danjreed gets the credit for mentioning the issue in the first place...

Old 08-31-2013, 02:51 PM
Craig Curtis
2nd Gear
Bought my mini today! Pick it up on Tuesday! Opted for the Clubman S, pepper white 2011 ( instead of the countryman)