1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car name

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 05:09 PM
banderlin
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car name

I don't typically name my vehicles, so the idea of coming up with a name for my new ride is a tough one. Part of me doesn't want a human name, but I'm certainly not creative enough to come up with something spiffy and apt.

So what are your thoughts? Not necessarily looking for car names (though I wouldn't be averse to hearing some). How did you go about naming your MINI? Was it something personal? Generic? From a fictional character?

Even though I just said that I'm averse to human names, I'm currently leaning towards Doreen. It's a Frank Zappa reference. Doreen (which is a rockin' song, BTW) is followed by Goblin Girl on the You Are What You Is album. I've always pictured Doreen as the Goblin Girl, which has the line "She's black and green 'cause it's Halloween."

One of those names that requires A LOT of explanation.

Old 09-24-2013, 05:21 PM
MiniTitanS
1st Gear
For some reason, me and my girlfriend refer to my 2013 MCS hardtop as 'the beast'. Or sometimes just 'beast'. It just looks like such a little badass - pepper white with a black roof and mirrors, black wheels and black bonnet stripes. Blacked out and angry!! Oh, and fast! Just seemed right. Pretty spontaneous.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:29 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 373 Likes on 314 Posts
Don't force it, just drive it and become one with your new motor. Go find the best twisties, enjoy motoring, baby the wee beastie with regular checkups and baths and if you listen carefully, it will tell you it's name.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:39 PM
Mr. T
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Don't worry about coming up with a name right away, banderlin. I've had my Roadster since May and still haven't committed to the perfect name. You might need to explain who Frank Zappa is to some of our members.

Old 09-25-2013, 04:51 AM
banderlin
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Fly'n Brick
Go find the best twisties, enjoy motoring, baby the wee beastie with regular checkups and baths and if you listen carefully, it will tell you it's name.
I think "go find the best twisties" is the best advice anyone has given yet. I will indeed listen carefully after introducing her to some fun roads and see what she whispers to me.

Originally Posted by Mr. T
You might need to explain who Frank Zappa is to some of our members.
Oh my. Did I just date myself? :_(

Old 09-25-2013, 05:49 AM
Mr. T
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by banderlin
Oh my. Did I just date myself? :_(

Old 09-25-2013, 06:08 AM
tampadave
5th Gear
When I considered the naming issue, one monicker immediately came to mind: John Bull. Otherwise known as the British equivalent to America's Uncle Sam, this dashing fellow struck me as an appropriate namesake for my Roadster. It will come to you randomly or during a driving experience that sparks your insight.