1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new owner, first mini

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 02:02 PM
dethbrd
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
new owner, first mini

hi all. my wife just picked up her first mini last week. the car has zero mods..... so far. i am a disabled mechanic, and as everyone here already knows, stock is never good enough so i am going to lurk in the background for a while and learn what i can about these cars. after i figure some things out, i will gladly chime in on relevant issues. for now, im just another guy that wont let anyone touch any of his cars or bikes. if you want it done right, you usually need to do it yourself. i am planning to get the sawzall and welder out in the next couple of days and perform the first mod....removing the rusty right muffler ala "one ball mod". the car is way too quiet for me.

Old 11-12-2013, 03:25 PM
ColaTownMini
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello dethbrd! Welcome to the community and post up some pics when you get a chance.

Old 11-13-2013, 11:02 AM
dethbrd
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thanks, and will do....

i did the one-ball mod this morning. upon seeing the compound angles needed on the bend and not having any kind of way to bend exhaust pipe, i ran it up to the local exhaust shop. after getting it out and on the floor, they bent up a 90 with another 30 or 40 degree up turn on the end, expanded both ends to fit over the pipe, and welded her all back up for me for 45 bucks. the muffler was pretty rusty around all the factory welds and was really close to rusting through. while it does sound louder and raspy when you stand behind it, i can almost not tell any difference from the drivers seat. its not loud, doesnt drone, and i cant really feel any difference. good cancer surgery and weight loss for 45 bucks......

the shop came highly recommended, and they let me stand under the car and supervise....lol might have been cheaper if i stayed in the waiting room, but like i said before, i get really nervous letting someone else work on my stuff.

Last edited by dethbrd; 11-13-2013 at 11:08 AM.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:06 PM
ColaTownMini
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hear ya!