1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noobie, kinda...

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 08:16 AM
Jboenisch
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Noobie, kinda...

My wife has owned three mini's in the past. 2003 base (r50/52?) and then a 2009 & 2011 S. The 2009 had multiple high pressure fuel pump issues (think she went through at least 2 under warranty), and the dreaded carbon build up, which led to hitting the reset button and getting the 2011. She has since sold her 2011 for a 2013 WRX, which is a blast. Now i know what you're thinking, this is a Mini thread, so what's your point.
Well the wife was crazy enough to give me a small budget to buy a Mini to start building a little auto-x-er. So i proceeded to look for a great deal, knowing that i could lean on a few of my mechanical skills to work through some of the 'common' issues...heh, right.
Well lets just say that my 2002 mini cooper s with 162k has already caused me to read at LEAST 50+ forums/posts within a weeks time (current span of time i have owned my beast). I bought it on Nov 1st, and as soon as i got it home it started doing the whole 'limp mode, check engine light, sputtering'...etc. I am still working through the issue(s).
Just to add to this conversation, attached are two pictures; one of the car the day i was driving it home from TN to Charlotte NC (yay happy times) , and the other the day after that (not so happy times ).
So, to begin to add a closing to this introduction; first i must say THANK YOU!!!! to all of the veterans on this site, you have helped me SO much over the course of the past week. Second, I wish to pay it forward, as I have experienced symptoms, stopped read a great deal of related threads, addressed symptoms, stopped read-repeat... some worked some didn't, but for the most part i have found solutions and AM making progress (knock on wood).
It does take a bit of time to weed through general advice to get to what I will call accurate advice, and because all mechanical things are somewhat similar, but still different, it sometimes takes a lot of trial and error (i.e. patience) to sometimes get to that root(s) of the cause(s). I am no 'ASE' certified/ BMW tech...although i learned A LOT growing up driving pre 80's, mid 80's and early 90's BMW's, and honestly DID want to become a Master Mechanic at one point in my life...a dream I left on the side of the road in my late teens with the car I totaled at the time. Life does what it does and is what it is, i have no regrets making something i love doing a hobby...i think it worked out for the best. That being said i will be happy to talk through some of the recent (and on going) experiences with my mini's progress. i have received GREAT in put from this very forum, and I only wish to add the same value back.
I wish all of you luck, and look forward to exchanging experiences/advice and cursing at our cars together in harmony.
-Jeff from Charlotte with his 02 Cooper S (Zul)

Attached Thumbnails Noobie, kinda...-mini-cooper-s-003.jpg   Noobie, kinda...-mini-cooper-s-005.jpg  
Old 11-13-2013, 03:14 PM
patchelect
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So you don't feel unloved I will say welcome and good luck on your project. Sorry that the car stuck it to you within a short period of ownership!!

I too am a newbie in this Mini thing. My car is a part time DD and decided to quit opening and closing the top the day after I brought her home. I've posted some of the progress but we're waiting or the new pump to arrive. (Dealer bought car, hence warranty) But I at least have a running vehicle and am going to take her on a road trip this weekend and shaker things down.