1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at a 2005 MINI Cooper S w JCW Tuning Kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 12:26 PM
Blasbo
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looking at a 2005 MINI Cooper S w JCW Tuning Kit

It was purchased in Fla from the original owner and driven to Miss. The second owner is selling. I am looking for something with decent gas mileage but also something fun to drive. I recently started a job with a 150 mile a day commute.
Here's a link to the original owner's ebay listing.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MINI-Cooper-S-w-JCW-Tuning-Kit-2005-Lots-of-Extras-Single-Owner-Excellent-/370909446059?item=370909446059&forcerrptr=true&pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item565becffab&nma=true&si=2WQM2%252FtBAZDpnzxD3cRrbHVrmXs%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557#full-historyThe car appears to be in great shape and is a blast to drive. Is there anything to look for as far as problems? The seller is asking $9k and I am hoping to get it for 8. Does that seem reasonable?
Thanks in advance!

Old 01-01-2014, 12:42 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts
"Decent gas milage" is not a gen1 thing....define what you want mpg...if you get 21-25 on a gen1 jcw driving bit normally I would be surprised....
Modded I do get 28-32 ROUTINELY....but nothing stellar when you consider that 93 costs extra....and not running premium may/will cost you a burnt valve...cost is about $1500 to fix.

Using 93 octane (it requires 90+), I could get 25-27 stock..(on a non jcw s before I modded it)...so to compare...my wife's Toyota highlander, which can use 87 gets about 22+....resulting in a much lower cost per mile...
That having been said, I love my gen1.... But not sure it would be a good long distance commuter...drove it 4 hours a day for a few months....might opt for something with a bit less edge...lol...
Never thought I would suggest against an gen1!!
But on the other hand, gen1 mini's are the most raw, connected drivers cars...the most fun imo...just KNOW what you are looking at...drive it a bit.

Old 01-01-2014, 12:55 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Well it def needs some work. Coolant bottle is original and top side hydraulic engine mount is leaking/broken. My guess is with the other usual parts going south at that mileage barring a new clutch/flywheel, your looking at about $3K in repairs unless you are handy with tools.

Old 01-01-2014, 03:03 PM
Blasbo
1st Gear
Thanks for the quick responses!
ZippyNH - I am currently driving a 2003 F-150 which gets about 16 mpg on the highway, so the MINI would be about twice that depending on driving habits. I didn't really think about the 93 octane requirement. Is it because of the supercharger? Also, what is the difference between the gen1 and gen2? I read where the sheet metal was redone, but what are the advantages and disadvantages of one vs. the other?
-=gRay rAvEn=- I'm handy with tools, but not a mechanic, and I don't have a lot of time. A clutch/flywheel would be more than I would want to handle, especially on a daily driver. What else could I expect to look at replacing? Is there a parts diagram available somewhere that I could see what you are talking about with the coolant bottle and engine mount?

Old 01-01-2014, 04:36 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Gen1 is a supercharged motor...good, solid cast iron block, pretty low tech, regular fuel injection...real driver car imo...a bit raw, bit kinda a visceral experience.
Gen2 has a French desgined direction injected turbo motor...better mpg, but poorly implemented direct injection...results in carbon valves that REQUIRES manual cleaning with media (such as walnut shells) on a regular basis...early gen2 cars got the n14, single variable valve timing, later cars got the n18...variable valve timing on both intake and exhaust... And revised pcv systems to limit tge carbon issued...more high tech in the cabin then gen1, generally a different, less edgy ride, more bmw like..but less connected to the road.
Both cars have pluses and minues....
High octane is for Detonation protection...both due to heat from the sc and due to compression....even the base cooper needs it...the Germans love to use high compression pistions to get every last hp out of the fuel...helps lowers their grams of co2 per mile traveled on their euro fuel economy testing.
If I was driving 150 miles a day...I would get a Honda/Toyota....I love my mini, and some have gone for very high miles...many lots less, but sometimes getting one fixed in a timely manner is kinda hard if you are in a rush...the parts may need yo be shipped, etc...
The clutch is a $1500-2000 item on a mini due Having to drop the subframe to do it....
Dealers charge bmw prices per hour for fixes...so find a local independent shop that already KNOWS mini's...you don't want them learning on YOUR CAR...can get $$$ and time consuming.
Have any mini you consider inspected by them... Things like rubber suspension bushings tend to fail by 70,000 miles or so...so you might get a lower price based upon needing some repairs....

Old 01-06-2014, 02:15 PM
Blasbo
1st Gear
I got it!
I understand your concerns with this vehicle, but it sure made the morning commute fun.

Old 01-06-2014, 02:29 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
It will make the commute fun!!
Having a second car or...er...truck as backup is great.
I do 75% of stuff myself...then pay a mini centric shop for things like clutches (or will someday) that I don't want to handle.
Some basic info from places like here, a service manual, and a trusted vendor as you goto place for parts can make ownership lots of fun!!

Old 01-06-2014, 02:32 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
P.S.
Congrats on the purchase!!

Old 01-06-2014, 03:05 PM
Blasbo
1st Gear
Thanks, any recommendations on where to get parts? I need a couple of rear hatch struts and a few little trim pieces. Also a service manual is always a good idea.
RTFM - Read The Fine Manual!

Old 01-06-2014, 03:50 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Waymotorworks.com is great....both for many mini specific parts and advise (they also have used parts off of wrecked cars and decent selection of aftermarket stuff)....for a repair guides, the "Bentley" one is the best and well worth the $$. For non-mini specific parts (basic commodity parts) rockauto.com has some decent prices on many items...much better than the local auto store anyway if you can wait a couple days for shipping.