1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st Mini - Need HELP asap deciding 1 of 2 !!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 11:12 PM
chud182
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st Mini - Need HELP asap deciding 1 of 2 !!!

Hello,

My name is Matt and I'm about to embark on a long time desire to own a Mini Cooper.

Due to financial limitation I'm planning on buying a used Mini. Thus far I am in talks over two different years/models.

ANY HELP I could get on which is the better buy PLEASE let me know.

Here are the models with all the info I've learned so far. Planning on viewing and test driving in the next few days.

1. 2004 Mini Cooper S (manual-6) 78,000 miles $8,000

~ Premium Combo #1 and Sport #2 options

~ Breaks Replaced less than 200 miles ago

~ Dinan installed chip, exhaust , air box

~ All scheduled maintenance performed

2. 2009 Mini Cooper non-S (manual-6) 79,000 miles $8,000

~ Front wheel drive
~ Hatchback
~ All scheduled maintenance performed at East Bay Mini

Aftermarket additions:
-22mm rear sway bar and upgraded bushings (Madness Motorworks)
-Front and rear lowering springs (1-1.5in lower) (Madness Motorworks)
-Short shifter (Madness Motorworks)
-Engine torque arm insert (NM Engineering)
-Cold air intake (K&N)
-Yokohama AVID ENVigor tires (Tire Rack)

Options:
Cruise control
A/C
CD player
AUX input
Power windows/locks
Telescoping tilt wheel

AGAIN... an input asap will be VERY appreciated.

Thanks

Old 01-17-2014, 01:09 AM
cambo
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I were you...I wouldn't go with either.

The mod list on choice #1 makes me think it's been driven 'heartily'. And from what I've read here, the R53 iterations aren't as reliable as the newer R56s so that compounds the problem. Even if the car was $4k...I wouldn't go for it. I'd never have peace of mind...that's just me though. Not trying to dog R53 owners out there...I'm sure there's plenty of trouble free miles amongst them.

I wouldn't go with choice #2 because it's not an S. Simple as that.

Something to keep in the back of your mind is, unless your good with cars and can do maintenance yourself, maintenance on these things is expensive. Think of it as a BMW...so expect that caliber of maintenance charges. For this reason, I factored reliability heavily into my purchase.

My absolute minimum criteria would be '07+, S, manual.

Anyway...just my .02. I'm very picky when it comes to big purchases and it better damn well be everything I want if I'm spending that kind of money.

Be patient young grasshopper! good luck.

Old 01-17-2014, 03:19 AM
son-of-mini
3rd Gear
I would go with the second choice. I have a 2009 non-s. It has been fun, and very dependable. 42mpg!

Old 01-17-2014, 03:57 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
I'd go with #1 it has a Dinan kit so the owner was worried about the car having a warranty and dealer backed mods. They then probably maintained the car better and watched the car more carefully.

Also The Packages #1&2 plus sport is a well optioned car.

Old 01-17-2014, 06:18 AM
fridayxiii
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
OP: have you driven both cars? You're talking about some big differences, between S and "justa" Cooper, first and second gen cars.

I understand financial limitations myself, but I'd recommend that if/when you determine your preference, you spend $150'ish and have a pre-purchase inspection done on your pick. Especially if these cars are being sold privately or from non-MINI dealers, having an experienced mechanic (either dealer or an independent shop) vet the car will go a long way towards revealing what expenses & repairs you might be facing, and when.

Old 01-17-2014, 06:32 AM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
there is going to be a large difference between the two cars, one is going to hvae 180hp and the other 115. the non S will mostly likly feel more together in the corners, but if you have an itch for speed, there isnt much more you can do to that mini, where as the 04' is super charged and will have more umph and a delisous whine and exhaust note.

the justa cooper will get 39-43 mpg, my GF has one and the 04' will get about 25-30

i love my r53, feels better to drive, interior is better IMO, and i love superchargers. one thing that worries me, that it is climbing in the mileage so there will definetly need to have some stuff looked at, the SC in the first gens are known to have failure around 110k, but not everyone has that issue, some with 200K+ and some as low has 40k. the crank pulley needs to be looked at as well, they are also known to fail, other than those they are very reliable, but the justa, there isnt anything to go wrong.

if you enjoy the first gens, i would reconmend looking a bit more around, im sure there are some better prices, one thing that worries me is the dinan "chip"

but for the second gen, i would say that is a good price

Old 01-17-2014, 06:32 AM
MINI #1
4th Gear
I would wait until the F56s come in Mar 14...This should lower the prices even more on the GEN1 cars and earlier GEN2 cars...maybe less miles on the cars at the price you really want.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:35 AM
astroBlackMetallic_Mini
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
just depends how much you want to spend on gas i think. both cars will be similar in the long run.

also depends if you want more power / mods on the car. car 2 has way more mods, and IMO, has been driven harder than car 1... does car 1 have a reduction pulley? if NO, id say go with the Gen1 coop. i modded my car with power mods at like 65k, and im at 101k with 0 issues. so the engines themselves hold up awesome. everything else with regards to things holding up, is just going to depend on how you drive it.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:39 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts
Get the one you like more....simple.
Make sure it is in good shape...
Have a mechanic look at....and if it not up to what you want after you negogate the price based on what you find...look for another one. Simple.
To compare a non-s and an S from 2 different gens tell me that you don't know what you want yet... Test them both...they are VERY different...they appeal to different folks and have different good AND bad points....different needs for mantaince....and different needs from the owner...different insurance rates, different mpg.....
PICK!!!

Old 01-17-2014, 08:02 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts
PS
there are TONS on mini's that have pretty paint jobs for sale that are complete pieces of crap mechanically that may need $4000-5000 worth of work to be a reliable car....
Some have been abused...but washed and waxed and even detailed weekly...
Some have been miss matained or run out of oil...but are still "dealer matained" with full records...
Some have modded, run hard, unmodded and then put up for sale...
Unless you know what to look for....or your mechanic does...could become a very $$$ "learning experience"....just like any used car..lol.

Old 01-17-2014, 02:38 PM
chud182
1st Gear
THANK YOU Everyone!!

Very helpful info and you've given me a lot to think about and look into...

much Much appreciated!