1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended warranties

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 09:39 AM
Motogordo
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Extended warranties

Feb. 11, 2014

I was just thinking how glad I was that I bought the 3 year/50k extended warranty when I purchased my 2007 Mini last year from "Mini of Mt. Laurel, NJ.). I believe it ran around $2,300 . Would you believe that about 1 month later my in dash navigation system when nuts. The images were upside down and the writing was backwards. What a surprise while riding down the highway. I brought it back to the dealer, and they tried everything to repair it, but they couldn't. They ended up sending it back to the factory and I received a new one which they installed free. The total repair was almost $1,800 . I am sooooo glad I purchased the extended warranty. I buy the warranties on all the used cars I purchase.

Gordon

Old 02-11-2014, 09:53 AM
whaap
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Good job. I'm glad you got lucky. Just like you, Las Vegas has occasional winners but by far the majority of players in Las Vegas and the extended warranty world are loosers. My thinking is they are all snake oil. If a particular part on a car survives infancy there's a good probability that the part is not faulty. If that part is maintained properly and not abused there's no reason it should fail. I'm ahead of the game. I've owned cars, motorcycles, boats, etc. since 1952 along with all my household appliances and I've never purchased an extended warranty. Not yet has there been one occasion where I've regretted it.

Old 02-11-2014, 10:05 AM
Motogordo
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by whaap
Good job. I'm glad you got lucky. Just like you, Las Vegas has occasional winners but by far the majority of players in Las Vegas and the extended warranty world are loosers. My thinking is they are all snake oil. If a particular part on a car survives infancy there's a good probability that the part is not faulty. If that part is maintained properly and not abused there's no reason it should fail. I'm ahead of the game. I've owned cars, motorcycles, boats, etc. since 1952 along with all my household appliances and I've never purchased an extended warranty. Not yet has there been one occasion where I've regretted it.
Feb. 11, 2014
Yes, this is one instance that I am glad I had it. A lot of the used cars no longer have any guarantee. If you don't buy the extended warranty then you have only MAYBE a 30 day warranty. I noticed at a Harley dealer that when you buy a used bike you have NO warranty at all. You must buy the extended warranty or everything comes out of YOUR pocket. Another way for the dealers to make more money. That's America......

Old 02-11-2014, 10:27 AM
damiencain
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Which one?

I am in the market for a good warranty. There seem to be a ton on the internet, but never know which one is good or not. I have a 2008 Clubman with 75k miles and wanna cover my a** as it is falling apart left and right even though I meticulously maintain it. Thanks in advance!