1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to the Mini- need IPod help

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 06:34 AM
Seraphina8
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to the Mini- need IPod help

Hi! I just got the 2005 red mini convertible for Valentines Day! So I'm now learning how to drive stick! I have some questions about playing my iPod. It says it's auxiliary ready... Is this something I can do on my own or do I need a professional? Thanks!

Old 03-01-2014, 10:12 AM
MarcMini
2nd Gear
What kind of auxilliary inputs does it have?

Old 03-01-2014, 11:01 AM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Back in 05 there were two options for connecting an iPod, they were both dealer installed. There was the aux-in, which is some simple wiring which plugs into the back of the radio and puts a mini-jack socket in your glovebox to connect to any music source (including an iPod). Or there was the iPod adapter, which was some more complicated electronics which provided an iPod dock connector on a lead in the glovebox.

Your 05 may or may not be able to cope with the iPod adapter, it was introduced in 05, I'm not sure if older MINIs could use it or not. The iPod adapter looks like the CD changer to the radio, so to use the iPod you select the CD changer from the radio, the iPod will then play automatically whenever the car is started. You can also set up 6 special playlists which are named MINI1_anything, to MINI6_anything. Selecting the 6 discs in the CD changer wil play these playlists.

The aux-in is simpler, it just gives you something to plug into. When using the aux-in, its best to use a "line-level" dock adapter, not the headphone output. The headphone output is not the right level for the input, so can sound distorted if iPod volume is not set correctly. The aux-in has no smarts, so the iPod does not know to start playing when the car starts. If you have a power supply for the iPod connected to the lighter socket, the iPod will stop playing when the car is turned off, and the power is cut. If you want the iPod to start playing automatically there's a secret mode some of them can be put into which start playing when the power is turned on. The aux in works pretty well.

Either of those is a dealer installed accessory. People have done diy installs, but it does involve taking half your dashboard apart, so is not for the casual user.

Edit to add: You should check in the glovebox for either of the options being there already.

Old 03-01-2014, 11:11 AM
Seraphina8
Neutral
I'm not sure what kind of auxiliary inputs I have, the paperwork just said it was auxiliary ready.

Old 03-01-2014, 11:12 AM
Seraphina8
Neutral
Thanks Btwyx, I'll have to check my glove box. What about a phone hookup. It's On my steering wheel but doesn't show how to work it. Thanks!

Old 03-01-2014, 11:15 AM
Seraphina8
Neutral
Also where is the best place to order a steering wheel sticker, mine is missing half of it :(

Old 03-01-2014, 11:18 AM
MarcMini
2nd Gear
I have similar questions as well. Still saving up for Mini Cooper S and still not sure what year I want.
I know that there is an armrest above the break handle that has storage inside it. I have both a fifth-gen 160gb Ipod, and my iPhone 4. I would like to store my iPod in the glove box and let it live there forever except for when I need to update my music. I would like to put my phone in the armrest and use that for communication only. That will be taken out everytime I get out of the car.
What do I need? iPod will be mostly permanent and will need to be powered. Will need ability to select playlists from radio.
Dont want mix-up with iPod and music from iPhone.

Old 03-01-2014, 06:41 PM
Ishihara
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
welcome Seraphina! can't help with the IPod questions, but there are lots of good people here (or over in the audio forum) who will... and from someone who recently taught himself how to drive stick in a Mini, I wish you good luck...

Old 03-08-2014, 01:14 PM
Knydies
1st Gear
Adding to what Btwyx already said. If you only have an AUX in, then you will be able to connect a device via its headphone jack with a cable to your AUX in. This provides the best possible audio source if your music is of decent quality.
There is the possibility of iPod connectivity, but it requires either a proprietary cable or kit. The OEM kit is pricey, unless you have $350 ~500 of disposable cash.
As for phone connectivity, check out this forum post:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...oth-setup.html
Hope that helps.

Old 03-12-2014, 06:37 PM
Seraphina8
Neutral
Thanks! I'll check it out,