1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New MINI owner

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 12:51 PM
CrashDummy
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New MINI owner

Hi all,

I wanted to stop in here and introduce myself. My wife recently purchased this new 2013 Mini Cooper hatchback. I handle all of the car-work in our house so I figured I should sign up on here and start learning about the car!
Name:  image2_zpsdf659b37.jpeg
Views: 43
Size:  92.1 KB
About me: I have an 08 Mazdaspeed3 as my daily driver and a 95 Miata as my autocross car. Maybe I'll be able to convince the wife to try some autocross now that she has the mini?

I've got a few questions, if anyone wants to throw some input in here it would be appreciated, but I'm guessing that if I search around a little I'll find some answers:
1. I'm planning on doing my own intermediate oil changes with Castrol Edge 5W30 instead of waiting the full 9-12K that it looks like the computer will tell me to do/the dealer will do for free. Basically I'll do one, then MINI will do one, then I'll do one, etc. Good idea?
2. Is there an oil change how to on here? Or a how-to index for the R56 Cooper? I just want to make sure there isn't anything tricky about oil changes on this car.
3. I'm looking for a good site to order parts (like oil filters); any recommendations? I'll also need one of those really large sockets to get the filter on/off.

Happy to be here! I'm looking forward to learning! Once we get a couple oil changes out of the way I'm sure I'll be looking for info on other projects!

Old 03-22-2014, 04:18 PM
Ballsy
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1.) I never go to a dealer, all DIY but I would say that's an alright idea!
2.) I'm sure there is. There is one for my R50 so I'd say any newer model would also. The search tool is great!
3.) I got the large socket off of amazon, but my generation 1 mini has a bigger one. I think I saw one you might want on waymotorworks.com. As for filters and oil, I get mine from minimania.com. There are complaints about price but I like them!

Enjoy your MINI and welcome to NAM!

Old 03-22-2014, 04:40 PM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cutting oil change interval in half a good idea? I say no.

Oil changes are easy on the MINI. The only "trick" I'd recommend is on the oil filter, once you loosen it a little bit, walk away for a few minutes (15 - 20). Give the oil in the housing some time to drain out to minimize the odds of making a mess. When finally taking it out, shove a rag underneath it to catch any drips.