1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to MINI, but older car enthusiast

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 08:43 PM
tuco44
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to MINI, but older car enthusiast

I am a senior male living in a medium size city in Western Canada. My present car is a 2012 BMW 135i MSport 6MT in Jet Black. It is my 17th BMW, and 63rd vehicle since started driving back in the 60s. I am currently toying with the idea of getting the new 3rd Gen MCS, 6MT of course. I am not totally sure I will be doing that, and am only trying to gain a better understanding of the MINI fraternity for the moment. My objective in making the switch to a new MCS is to retain the "fun to drive" aspect, gain some utility/practicality over the 135, improve my winter driving capabilities, and do this at little additional cash investment.

I have driven (briefly) a dealer's MCS Launch edition with 6MT, and must say, I was very impressed.

I likely will not post often, at least until I see if I make the switch to MINI.

Thanks.

Old 03-23-2014, 07:30 AM
turbofun
2nd Gear
Welcome,

I noticed that most MINI enthusiasts are automotive enthusiasts, drivers. There are a lot of "car guys" on here. And I mean both men and women.

Good luck with your decision on a new MINI.

Old 03-23-2014, 07:45 AM
whaap
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Hello tuco44 and welcome. I'll give you my brief story. I bought my first car in 1952. I have always liked performance type of cars. Prior to my base MINI hardtop I had driven a 911 Cabriolet, Mazda Miata and the newly introduced FR-S. When I decided to buy another car I had received my wife's nod of approval to buy a new Cayman. On nothing more than a whim we stopped in one day at a Mini Cooper dealership and test drove a base MINI. I realized it would more than satisfy the handling that I was looking for and it would do it for a heck of a lot less money. I also appreciated the fact that there was nothing pretentious about the car. We left the dealership with the car we test drove. That was two months ago and I'm still loving my purchase.

Old 03-23-2014, 07:55 AM
RJT
2nd Gear
Forty three years young, two Audi's, PriousV and my Mini JCW in the garage. Which do I prefer...the Mini, albeit not stock, nor stock manner. I too have been in love with automobiles, all guises...but not sure what it is about the Mini, I thinks it may have to do with the lineage, although that was long time past and now is just a name...a great name though..the BMW 135 is a great car, don't think either one will make a good snowplow driver...I don't even drive mine in the rain...enjoy your choice whatever it may be..

Old 03-23-2014, 08:46 AM
tuco44
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by turbofun
Welcome,

I noticed that most MINI enthusiasts are automotive enthusiasts, drivers. There are a lot of "car guys" on here. And I mean both men and women.

Good luck with your decision on a new MINI.

Thanks, Turbofan. Good to know that enthusiasts are here in abundance, some other forums, not so much.

Old 03-23-2014, 08:49 AM
tuco44
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by whaap
Hello tuco44 and welcome. I'll give you my brief story. I bought my first car in 1952. I have always liked performance type of cars. Prior to my base MINI hardtop I had driven a 911 Cabriolet, Mazda Miata and the newly introduced FR-S. When I decided to buy another car I had received my wife's nod of approval to buy a new Cayman. On nothing more than a whim we stopped in one day at a Mini Cooper dealership and test drove a base MINI. I realized it would more than satisfy the handling that I was looking for and it would do it for a heck of a lot less money. I also appreciated the fact that there was nothing pretentious about the car. We left the dealership with the car we test drove. That was two months ago and I'm still loving my purchase.

Thanks, whap. Neat story of getting your MINI. You drove some pretty interesting cars before settling on the MINI. It's a good sign when one can be pleased with the MINI after driving those others. Getting your first car in '52 puts you well ahead of me, I got my first in 1962.

Old 03-23-2014, 08:53 AM
tuco44
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by RJT
Forty three years young, two Audi's, PriousV and my Mini JCW in the garage. Which do I prefer...the Mini, albeit not stock, nor stock manner. I too have been in love with automobiles, all guises...but not sure what it is about the Mini, I thinks it may have to do with the lineage, although that was long time past and now is just a name...a great name though..the BMW 135 is a great car, don't think either one will make a good snowplow driver...I don't even drive mine in the rain...enjoy your choice whatever it may be..
Thanks, RJT. It's neat that so many love theirs MINIs, notwithstanding the other interesting cars they have or had. We don't get a severe winter here, and not a lot of snow, plus we have another vehicle; so I don't worry too much over the winter "snow plowing" issue. Also, we usually get away for a bit of the winter time anyway. One of my problems with trading for the MCS at this time, is the caning I will take on the deal.

Old 03-23-2014, 10:11 AM
whaap
5th Gear
Originally Posted by tuco44
One of my problems with trading for the MCS at this time, is the caning I will take on the deal.
LOL. One of my favorite sayings is: If that's the worst thing that happens you've got it made!

Old 03-23-2014, 10:32 AM
signcarver
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
As to the "mini fraternity" you mentioned in your original post, i find the MINI community to be the nicest and most varied car community i have ever been associated with. Much more so than the Porsche or BMW communities.

Old 03-23-2014, 10:55 AM
whaap
5th Gear
Originally Posted by signcarver
As to the "mini fraternity" you mentioned in your original post, i find the MINI community to be the nicest and most varied car community i have ever been associated with. Much more so than the Porsche or BMW communities.
Yes. And I can add the Miata and FR-S communities.

Old 03-23-2014, 10:56 AM
batdevice_
3rd Gear
Hi, Welcome to NAM. I live in Vancouver, where a bouts are you.

Old 03-23-2014, 11:42 AM
tuco44
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by batdevice_
Hi, Welcome to NAM. I live in Vancouver, where a bouts are you.

Kelowna.

Old 03-23-2014, 11:44 AM
tuco44
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by signcarver

I certainly concur regarding the BMW forums, it gets nasty and petty over there sometimes. What reviewing I have done to date on this forum says most posters are polite and helpful.

Old 04-09-2014, 02:35 AM
tuco44
3rd Gear
Bump - may have some news soon.........