1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hello everyone, did I ruin my Mini?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 03:10 AM
DavidOrtiz
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello everyone, did I ruin my Mini?

Hello everyone!

I just purchased my very first brand new Mini, and received a great deal since it's a new leftover 2013. It's a Cooper Hardtop 6 speed. He's lightning blue with the white top and matching mirror caps.

We absolutely ADORE this wonderful little car. It handles incredibly nice, and is built really solid. It came with the upgraded wheels, so it has a nice bulldog stance. :-)

I only have one concern, and couldn't sleep very well last night because if it. I have been following the rules for the break-in period to the letter. However, yesterday on my way home from work as I was entering the thruway I misjudged a semi approaching and went in. Well, he was approaching fast and laid on that horn. It scared the you know what out if me, so in second gear I asked my Mini to respond, and he most certainly did.

I gave this little thing gas and couldn't believe how he just took off!! However, I must have been at 70mph or so when I felt a small jump and could here the engine asking to be shifted. I shifted to third, forth, etc then remained at 73mph on my way home.

I'm hoping I didn't ruin anything. I checked for oil leaks, and anything unusual and everything appears fine. The book says not to go above 4500 rpm during the break-in period. I know I was well over that, but just once and it will not happen again. I only hope I didn't ruin something in my Mini because I really want to keep this car for a long time.

Any thoughts on this? I searched google using keywords but can't find where anyone posted something like this. Guess I'm the only idiot who's done this but I really feared for my life at the moment. :-(

Last edited by DavidOrtiz; 03-28-2014 at 03:16 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 03-28-2014, 03:32 AM
whaap
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Hello and welcome.

I can understand your concern but I wouldn't give it a second thought. There's a group of people that believe you should 'drive it like you stole it' during the break in period. While I agree with you in following the owners manual during break in I'm certain the one time experience you had will not cause you any problems. Yes, these little cars are indeed an incredible driving experience.

Old 03-28-2014, 03:44 AM
DavidOrtiz
4th Gear
Thank you so much whaap.

This means a lot to me as I searched frantically on the Internet for advise. I'm currently just under 370 miles on him and intend to baby him the rest of the way. I will say, the speed limit here in SWFlorida is 70. I keep him between 65-73 and it's incredible how such a small car sits on the road and just handles like a dream.

I love my Mini, and am very proud to be a member of the Mini family. As a first time buyer/owner, any additional advice anyone else may be willing to offer will most humbly appreciated.

Thanks again my friend, I really appreciate your time and response.

Regards,
David

Last edited by DavidOrtiz; 03-28-2014 at 03:46 AM. Reason: iPad typos.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:50 AM
Z06_Pilot
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi David and welcome!

That "small jump" you noticed was most likely you hitting the rev limiter..it's there to make sure we don't get too yippy when driving a Mini!

Like you, I followed the break-in on our two Minis to the letter of the manual.

And also like you, I would have probably had the same reaction. As the other poster said, there are plenty of folks here who ignored break-in altogether and went foot to the floor in every gear since driving it off the lot with no noticeable long-term issues.

I would be more concerned about sustained and repeated redline shifting during break-in as opposed to a single incident as you described.

that first 1250 miles seems to take forever when you are babying the car

I would recommend that you hit all the gears during break-in (don't ignore 6th when at highway speeds)

congratulations...

Old 03-28-2014, 06:16 AM
mister.t
2nd Gear
You will be fine, nothing to worry about

Old 03-28-2014, 06:45 AM
JcarrollWS6
2nd Gear
You'll be just fine. We'll chalk that up to vary engine rpm during break in period so not to habituate the engine to one speed.

Theories on break-in are numerous. Factories want buyers to take it easy to allow the parts to heat cycle and etch and that generally works very well for them. Every engine I have ever built is assembled, run for about 20 minutes with good breakin oil and drained to get rid of assembly lube. 10 minutes at 2500 rpm, then 5 @4500. After that, and all being well we beat the heck out of it.

Old 03-28-2014, 07:21 AM
Mini2na
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The tolerances on new engines are amazing when compared to those of past eras. While I followed the break in directions, I am of the opinion you probably have NO WORRIES.

I suggest you do a preventative oil change around 5000 miles, or sooner if you remain sleepless.

Old 03-28-2014, 08:34 AM
DavidOrtiz
4th Gear
Thanks to everyone for your response and valued advice. I feel MUCH better knowing fellow Mini drivers who certainly know the car far better than myself (my first Mini) feel I did no damage.

My Mini dealership recommends an oil change every 10k miles. I have this free maintenance for 3 years or 36K with the 'Boot to Bonnet' coverage. However, I may just take the advise and do the oil change at my own expense ($70.00 - WOW!) to be on the safe side.

@ Z06 Pilot: I'm hitting every gear, and when on the highway take it to 6th while staying at or below 75mph. I'm getting re-acclimated to driving a stick. It's like a bicycle I suppose -- you never forget. However, the last time I drove a stick was in my college days. I learned to drive a stick with a Honda CvCC so you can image at times I get a little jerk. :-)

It also takes getting use to far left and up for reverse. :-)

Thanks again everyone, and Happy Motoring?

Regards,
David

Old 03-28-2014, 09:08 AM
minibx
5th Gear
+ 1 on the oil chage 70.00 is not bad, some dealers will charge more than that. If you are the real David Ortiz (Big papi)that shouldn't be a problem for lol :-). I have no patience for brake in periods lol

You'll love your MINI for years to come, don't forget to wave. By the way post some pics

Old 03-28-2014, 09:09 AM
ljmattox
5th Gear
As others have said.

The break-in routine has been discussed here at length, proponents of both "camps" weighing in and so forth.

I'd rest easy.

My last two vehicles, including my MINI, were subject to a modified "drive it like you stole it" program much like this guy recommends...

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

NOT wanting to start another debate, just documenting what I read and decided to do.

48k miles later, avg. 35-36mpg, no oil consumption between changes on my '12 MCS.

I hit the rev-limiter too, very early, I did not expect 1st gear to top out that quickly. Yes, these cars can MOVE!

Happy motoring!

Old 03-28-2014, 09:13 AM
kyoo
6th Gear
Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts
lol i was looking for the problem as i read through this post. you're fine, though i dont believe the mini will reach 70mph in 2nd gear fyi

wouldn't give it a second thought, and you did the right thing. don't sacrifice your safety for the car. and revving the car > car accident

Old 03-28-2014, 09:40 AM
JcarrollWS6
2nd Gear
I do, however recommend a very early oil change in these new cars. I did mine at 747 miles. Get rid of the assembly lube and flush the initial shavings. Then good to go for my 5,000 miles intervals.

Last edited by JcarrollWS6; 03-28-2014 at 10:22 AM.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:04 AM
DavidOrtiz
4th Gear
Problem is, if I change it every 5k, then I'll have to pay for it as the maint-free 3yr/36k applies to every 10k miles for oil changes.

I have to admit, this is the first time I hear of a car going 10k between oil changes. The salesman said they're good for 15k, but because we live in this heat-box called Florida, he recommends every 10k.

Regards,
David

PS: I'm not Big Papi of the Boston Red Soxs. We don't even look alike, though I wish I made 5% of what that guy makes.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:22 AM
JcarrollWS6
2nd Gear
If it's an S, just change it every 5k. It costs 30 bucks for a 5.1 quart jug of 0-40 Mobil 1 or 5-30 Castrol Syntec at any autoparts store, the work itself is a diddle and I feel soo much better that way. Oil thins out, breaks down with heat and why not just do it 2x a year or 5k miles. The dealer will pick up every other change.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:24 AM
JcarrollWS6
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by DavidOrtiz
Problem is, if I change it every 5k, then I'll have to pay for it as the maint-free 3yr/36k applies to every 10k miles for oil changes.

I have to admit, this is the first time I hear of a car going 10k between oil changes. The salesman said they're good for 15k, but because we live in this heat-box called Florida, he recommends every 10k.

Regards,
David

PS: I'm not Big Papi of the Boston Red Soxs. We don't even look alike, though I wish I made 5% of what that guy makes.
The salesman is misinformed as well. As of 2011-12 model year the onboard maintenance computer has been reduced to 10k mile starting intervals. Mini realized it was costing them much to much $ having it at 15k. Often the fault of the consumer for not checking oil, but all around they updated it to 10k a couple years back.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:30 AM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
for oil changes, i use mobil 1 european formula, granted i have the gen 1, but it costs me about $30 for an oil change. a good way to see when your car actually needs the oil change, is to send some of your oil to blackstone, they willl analyze your oil and tell you whats actually in it, and they can reconmend that you should go longer or shorter inbetween changes.

its quite ok to do that to the engine, im a firm believer of the hard break in process, i think it allows everything to sit properly. i wouldnt dance at redline all the time ;-)

i change my oil every 5k miles, only because of the varying temps of NE, short commutes and i do run her pretty frequently. i havent started with my account with blackstone yet, but they will be getting my next batch!

Old 03-28-2014, 11:34 AM
Conrad_Thomaier
3rd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Going off topic, but you mentioned it...

What did you get for a deal on a leftover 2013? I'm looking at the same thing.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:40 AM
ZIPPY "S"
6th Gear
Like others have said you will be fine. Im almost at the end of my break in period. And I have gone above the rpm range a couple times. I guess I was having a bit more of a spirited drive then I thought lol. But it sure doesn't take much to go over that rpm range! ha ha Enjoy your ride!

Old 03-28-2014, 11:54 AM
DavidOrtiz
4th Gear
OK thanks everyone. I'll look into buying the oil myself and changing it as suggested. I really-really LOVE this little car. He feels solid, tight and fun to drive. As I said, this is my first one, but something tells me it won't be my last. My wife has named him, "Little Boy Blue" where I prefer, "Mini-Me"

Conrad: I purchased a 2013 with 12 miles on it, for 21k out the door. It's manual, doesn't have a sun-roof, and NOT an S model. I put nothing down, and walked out with 0.9% financing through Mini Finance.

The salesman also told me Mini's retain their value well, and so if I decided to trade him in after 4 years or so it would have some equity to use toward another Mini. I suppose I'll see if that's actually true in 4 years or so. However, I checked on Cars.com and noticed a 2008 Mini Cooper with 89k on it for almost 12k.

Thanks again everyone, and Happy Motoring!
David

Last edited by DavidOrtiz; 03-28-2014 at 12:10 PM. Reason: typos :(
Old 03-28-2014, 01:55 PM
minibx
5th Gear
10K oil changes are not uncommon now a days( using synthetic oil), I have another car that requires 10K oil changes as well, I lease that one I really don't care about the 10 K but I would never do that to a MINI the most I go is 7k but I prefer to do them at 5K

Old 03-28-2014, 05:31 PM
Rich.Wolfson
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DavidOrtiz
Thanks to everyone for your response and valued advice. I feel MUCH better...

My Mini dealership recommends an oil change every 10k miles...
Don’t vie a second thought to acceleration at WOT (wide open throttle). I am actually sure your Mini actually enjoyed it.

As for the oil change. There are a bazillion opinions. I change Artoo’s every 5000 miles but I am old and set in my ways. 10,000 is probably fine. BUT, some Mini’s burn a lot of oil. Many modern engines do. As much as 1 quart every 1000 miles. So if you don’t check the oil level regularly, THAT would be a problem.

Motor on.

///Rich

Old 03-28-2014, 05:57 PM
Z06_Pilot
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rich.Wolfson
Don’t vie a second thought to acceleration at WOT (wide open throttle). I am actually sure your Mini actually enjoyed it.

///Rich

Old 03-28-2014, 06:32 PM
DavidOrtiz
4th Gear
Excellent tips and advise MiniBx and Rich. I want to apologize in advance for my ignorance as this is my very first Mini. In my defense, I always admired the car and knew one day I'd own one. That day has come (the BOSS, my wife allowed me to buy it). What's funny is the salesman told us on the phone if we've ever driven a Mini before. Naturally, I thought it was a sales pitch. However, when we got in it (salesman in the back), he told me, "While on second gear, bring her up to 50 .. Mini's love that." Well, I did and not me but MY WIFE said, "WE'LL TAKE IT!!" She and I both fell in love with it and the rest is history.

I've been doing lots of reading, watching YouTube videos, etc. to learn. I just tinted the windows today (went with the high-end stuff for him), and ordered the Mini front window sun shield from Mini. This Florida sun is a killer, and I want to protect him anyway possible.

Happy Motoring!
David

Old 03-28-2014, 07:32 PM
JAB 67
6th Gear
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
Sound advice from numerous responders. If I were you I would not share your concern with the dealer; it would get logged into your file and likely come back to haunt you for some warranty work later on.

Old 03-28-2014, 07:38 PM
DavidOrtiz
4th Gear
Originally Posted by JAB 67
Sound advice from numerous responders. If I were you I would not share your concern with the dealer; it would get logged into your file and likely come back to haunt you for some warranty work later on.
Thank you, I'll certainly keep this in mind. Good suggestion.

Regards,
David

Quick Reply: Hello everyone, did I ruin my Mini?