1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will Sunoco ruin my MINI or void the warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 06:49 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
Top Tier gas is only marketing, the federal government requires a detergent additive package in all gasoline. Many perfectly good gasoline companies are not "Top Tier" because they won't pay the fee to the ad company that allows them to call it "Top Tier".

Dave

Old 04-11-2014, 07:12 AM
DavidOrtiz
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow!! Thanks Dan for that detailed response and illustration. Yes, I have a base hardtop, only thing upgraded by the dealer was the rims/run-flat tires.

I agree, I am overthinking stuff (classical type-A personality I suppose). It's just this is my first MINI, I really love this car and if I keep it past warranty they are costly to fix. And so, I want to treat him right from the beginning.

You described the sound perfectly .... sorta rattle like, not solid hum like, I use to hear before. Then again, it could be me. OK, I intend to have fun with him this weekend and keep you guys informed.

Thanks again Dan AND Dave for the time and much appreciated feedback. Of course it's been 20 years since I drove a stick, so more than likely it's all related to "Operator Error".

Regards,
David

Sent from my iPad Air using NAMotoring

Old 04-11-2014, 06:32 PM
DavidOrtiz
4th Gear
Hi fellow MINIacts!!

Well, could this be placebo or just my stupidity (maybe both).

Today I filled up with BP PREMIUM 93. The online website said they carried 91 and that was one of the reasons I came here. I assumed the 93 octane for a base model is just too high.

To my disappointment, the BP here doesn't have 91, just 93. I filled him up because I had two bars above the fuel tank and suddenly, it chimed and turned red. Since I don't know if that's a bad thing, I filled him up.

Now, the placebo. I've been driving almost 60 miles and for the life of me, the car feels smoother, the engine somewhat sounds different.

Like before, when I first purchased him 3 weeks ago. Heck, it even pulls better. This has to be placebo because some of the old gas still has to be in there, despite my topping him off with BP 93. Hmmmm maybe a bad Shell batch from the older station where I live? Who knows .. any thoughts on this?

As always, thanks to everyone for your time and advice.

Cheers!
David

Attached Thumbnails Will Sunoco ruin my MINI or void the warranty?-image-905922590.jpg   Will Sunoco ruin my MINI or void the warranty?-image-1766132225.jpg  
Old 04-11-2014, 07:12 PM
DavidOrtiz
4th Gear
PS: Anyone know why BP Ultimate is prefixed with "Amoco" where the other lower grades are not? I remember Amoco.

Am I buying PB or Amoco gas?

Regards,
David

Old 04-11-2014, 07:13 PM
6thGear
4th Gear
In my experience, I have noticed that even top tier gases (same octane) will differ in performance. I dont go by seat of the pants judgement, but from what I see coming out of the exhaust pipe. I have noticed that if I run Shell or Mobil, there is considerably less carbon buildup on the exhaust tips. However, if I run non-top tier or some top tiers such as BP, I find more carbon on the tips. Non top tier gives the most.

Old 04-11-2014, 07:16 PM
6thGear
4th Gear
Originally Posted by DavidOrtiz
PS: Anyone know why BP Ultimate is prefixed with "Amoco" where the other lower grades are not? I remember Amoco.

Am I buying PB or Amoco gas?

Regards,
David
http://www.bp.com/en/global/corporat...-of-amoco.html

"At the start of the new millennium, Amoco service stations in the United States were rebranded BP, although Amoco gasoline continued to flow from the pumps."

Old 04-11-2014, 07:17 PM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 218 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by DavidOrtiz
Is it possible a bad batch of gas or a bad service station could cause the car to perform differently, even if it's brand new?
Yes, absolutely. For example, if the gas station's storage tanks were low when you filled up, or had just been filled in the past few hours, you might have gotten a little water in the mix. It shouldn't happen, but it does.

Sent from my iPhone using NAMotoring

Old 04-11-2014, 07:25 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
It is best to buy gas from a high volume station, their tanks stay cleaner,

The higher the octane, the farther the engine's computer can advance the spark giving you a little more power, so it is not a placebo effect, your car is a little happier with high octane gas.

Dave

Old 04-11-2014, 08:30 PM
DavidOrtiz
4th Gear
Originally Posted by 6thGear
http://www.bp.com/en/global/corporat...-of-amoco.html "At the start of the new millennium, Amoco service stations in the United States were rebranded BP, although Amoco gasoline continued to flow from the pumps."
Awesome link 6thGear. I LOVE history.

Thank you,
David

Old 04-11-2014, 08:36 PM
DavidOrtiz
4th Gear
Originally Posted by DneprDave
It is best to buy gas from a high volume station, their tanks stay cleaner, The higher the octane, the farther the engine's computer can advance the spark giving you a little more power, so it is not a placebo effect, your car is a little happier with high octane gas. Dave
Hi Dave.

Something is definitely odd because the Shell V-Power I was using previously is also 93. I pulled into my garage and the car is not ..... how can I explain this, rattleeee if that makes any sense. It sounds more solid, humming kinda. I'll keep a close watch on this but if this turns out as I suspect, then I'm staying away from that 4 pump old Shell station.

The BP station I went to is on a major street, and it's quite large. I counted at least 7-10 rows with 3 double sided pumps in each. I'll have to take a picture of it and post it.

Thanks,
David

Old 04-11-2014, 08:37 PM
DavidOrtiz
4th Gear
Originally Posted by bratling
Yes, absolutely. For example, if the gas station's storage tanks were low when you filled up, or had just been filled in the past few hours, you might have gotten a little water in the mix. It shouldn't happen, but it does. Sent from my iPhone using NAMotoring
Thank you Bratling.

David

Old 04-12-2014, 04:56 PM
DavidOrtiz
4th Gear
Guys, one more mile and I suppose he's officially broken in?

My wife wanted to wait until after the break-in period to get behind the stick once again.

It's been a while for her.

Attached Thumbnails Will Sunoco ruin my MINI or void the warranty?-image-1725424384.jpg