1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will Sunoco ruin my MINI or void the warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 06:36 PM
DavidOrtiz
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will Sunoco ruin my MINI or void the warranty?

I everyone!!

As some of you may know, this is my very first MINI and I love him. Now I'm faced with another dilemma. Fuel.

I've been using Shell V-Power 93 octane and recently .... well, it's like I can hear the engine more and I don't know -- it just doesn't seem the same. I just made 1,200 miles. I'm considering Sunoco because they have the recommended 91 octane the manual recommends. However, they're not listed as TopTier so I'm lost.

Does anyone use gas outside of the TopTier listed merchants? Anyone know if Sunoco is any good, of it using a non TopTier product may void my warranty? :(

Any feedback will be much appreciated.

Regards,
David

Sent from my iPad Air using NAMotoring

Attached Thumbnails Will Sunoco ruin my MINI or void the warranty?-image-537712000.jpg  
Old 04-09-2014, 06:40 PM
danjreed
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
What?

No. Sunoco 93 octane won't void your warranty..

They do not force you to prove you run top tier fuels.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:02 PM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Top Tier is just a recommendation. Before they got Top Tier designation, I used Exxon. Personally, if there were Sunoco stations around where I live I'd probably use it.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:15 PM
DavidOrtiz
4th Gear
Originally Posted by danjreed
What? No. Sunoco 93 octane won't void your warranty.. They do not force you to prove you run top tier fuels.
Dan, I'm thinking of going with 91 instead of 93 to match what the manual recommends. I was told going to high is a waste of money, but more importantly may cause carbon buildup because it runs to hot? I have a base MINI not the S model and certainly not the JCW ( though I wish).

Regards,
David

Old 04-09-2014, 07:17 PM
DavidOrtiz
4th Gear
Originally Posted by jcauseyfd
The Top Tier is just a recommendation. Before they got Top Tier designation, I used Exxon. Personally, if there were Sunoco stations around where I live I'd probably use it.
JC, I may just try a tank full and see how he does.

Regards,
David

Old 04-09-2014, 07:23 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
You're over thinking things. Stop being so OCD and just enjoy driving the car.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:26 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts
Fuel is "fungible"....
fun·gi·ble
ˈfənjəbəl/Submit
adjectiveLAW
(of goods contracted for without an individual specimen being specified) able to replace or be replaced by another identical item; mutually interchangeable.
"money is fungible—money that is raised for one purpose can easily be used for another"
Here is the facts...
Fuel is shipped in SHARED PIPELINES....DELIVERED BY COMMON CARRIERS....
(fuel is PUMPED into the pipeline..MULTIPLE REFINERY SHARE AND ADD TO THE SAME PIPELINES...and it is pulled out at terminals...NOBODY KNOWS WHO"S FUEL IS PULLED OUT...it is not tracked...it all meets a spec)....
The only difference is the additive they add...all other fuel meets the same ATSM spec...and is sold interchangeably.
just like buying a gallon of milk...it is the "brand" and added valve, aka added services or extra additives that make one brands different....
Not saying that a station owner MIGHT NOT be dishonest or sell an adulterated product....it happens...but to obsess over fuel in your MINI...means you are worrying WAY TOO MUCH!!
IF ANYBODY ever suggests that using one brand of fuel is an issue...they are trying to deflect blame for making an inferior product....

Old 04-09-2014, 07:37 PM
DavidOrtiz
4th Gear
Ceren/Zippy,

Excellent advice my friends. Thank you.

I do tend to worry (type A personality) a lot. This is my first MINI and I want to do right for him. I do have a BP in town, but I'm not sure if they sell 91 octane.

I'll keep you guys posted.

Thanks again,
David

Old 04-09-2014, 07:40 PM
danjreed
6th Gear
Yup, it comes down to "secret sauce" added at terminals...

However, Sunoco is a fuel logistical company. - http://www.sunocologistics.com

http://www.sunocologistics.com/Custo...Asset-Map/130/

I happen to u use them for personal family reasons (years ago my Grandfather owned a station..) I also like the fact that they are "local" (support jobs, etc..), and have always had a good product.

As for the 91/93 argument. I feel the 93 is some of the best fuel out there, I've never had quality issues and its always consistent in performance. No, I'm not talking about ASTM testing done by me, but in terms of owning past chipped turbo and modded cars - set to run 93. Sure right now my Mini is still stock, but the extra two points of octane might help get a little more power on a hot summer day.

I personally run it year round. I'm sure 91 is just fine for a stock car..

Old 04-09-2014, 07:44 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Given the choice of 91 bp and ANY OTHER 93...I'd take the 93.
Sunoco has been around for many years...
They were once the MAIN RACE FUEL REFINER for most motor-sports..making 100 octane unleaded, and had 94 pump gas at most stations till they closed their last refinery....now they use on contract refineries...they closed their last one..was cheaper to shut it down than "improve it" to meet new EPA rules....
91 listed in the book cause it is the HIGHEST octane sold in MANY STATES...
BUT THE MOTOR CAN USE MORE with the tunes we have......been shown many times...a simple plug in reader to the odb2 can read the timing retardation....most tests show it is ALWAYS PRESENT, so a slight loss of HP with 91, but fine with 93.

Last edited by ZippyNH; 04-09-2014 at 07:56 PM.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:50 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
You have a non-turbo right?

Old 04-10-2014, 03:04 AM
DavidOrtiz
4th Gear
Originally Posted by cerenkov
You have a non-turbo right?
Dan/Zippy, thank you.

Ceren .. I have the base MINI Cooper hardtop, six speed "non" turbo model.

Regards,
David

Old 04-10-2014, 04:32 AM
danjreed
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DavidOrtiz
Dan/Zippy, thank you. Ceren .. I have the base MINI Cooper hardtop, six speed "non" turbo model. Regards, David Sent from my iPad Air using NAMotoring
91 is ideal. But 89 is also perfectly safe. The non turbo cars are much more tolerant of lower octane fuels. Your engine never suffered from the carbon issues you have read about. The non turbo cars are pretty much solid platforms. Far, far fewer things to worry about.

Enjoy!!

87 is also safe, but you could feel some slight power loss, this is harmless as it's ECU adapting to the lower octane.

Old 04-10-2014, 06:59 AM
Gluhwein
4th Gear
I regularly use Sam's Club and BJ's gas. Never had a problem with any of my 4 MINIs over the past 8 years.

Old 04-10-2014, 07:02 AM
DavidOrtiz
4th Gear
Thanks Dan.

For the few extra cents, I'm really not looking to "save-at-the-pump" because I use to drive a Dodge Dakota HEMI to work everyday (68 miles daily). That would set me back almost $350.00 a month. With my new MINI, I drive to work one week (approximately $52.00 to full up with premium) and STILL have a half-a-tank left.

Of course, the wife and I take him cruising on weekends because he's so much fun to drive (so much for the 12k miles a year goal .. there goes that).

So my concern was going "too high" as in 93 octane. I was told going too high could cause carbon on the outtake (or something like that, I'm not mechanically savvy) because the fuel is running to hot.

This is why I was questioning Sunoco; because they're the only one "locally" who carry 91 octane but are NOT listed as a Top Tier retailer. :(

Thoughts?

Regards,
David

Old 04-10-2014, 07:33 AM
rckrzy1
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
many people don't understand octane. The higher the octane the cooler the burn. High octane is designed to be compressed more and not ignite as fast. There is more heat and more power in lower octane, but there is more power in a higher compressed cylinder.

As for top tier , ya whatever. I just stay away from mom n pop no names . The best is to use a station with high usage.

Old 04-10-2014, 08:03 AM
DavidOrtiz
4th Gear
Originally Posted by rckrzy1
many people don't understand octane. The higher the octane the cooler the burn. High octane is designed to be compressed more and not ignite as fast. There is more heat and more power in lower octane, but there is more power in a higher compressed cylinder.

As for top tier , ya whatever. I just stay away from mom n pop no names . The best is to use a station with high usage.
Thanks RC.

For what it's worth, the Sunoco where I live is VERY VERY busy. In fact, it was recently remodeled a little over a year ago. New building, brand-new underground tanks due to added pumps and a new convenience store. I mean, they gutted that whole place.

Regards,
David

Old 04-10-2014, 10:34 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Thanks RC.

For what it's worth, the Sunoco where I live is VERY VERY busy. In fact, it was recently remodeled a little over a year ago. New building, brand-new underground tanks due to added pumps and a new convenience store. I mean, they gutted that whole place.

Regards,
David
+1
Higher volume stations with "fresher" equipment and fuel is usually a safe bet.
With a non-turbo/supercharged car, there are advantages to not buying too much octane...namely $$ savings and slightly better mpg in some cases....run what your car seems to like....
Midgrade is a good start....likely the best option IMO.
I do varry where I buy my fuel...assumption is different retailers add different addatives....so sometimes shell, BP, ETC....

Old 04-10-2014, 01:24 PM
eaglebeagle
4th Gear
the top tier thing isn't on any mini requirement thing i've ever seen. I've even used no-name regular in my non-turbo once or twice when its all a station had, so i could get out of the middle of nowhere. no long term problems here!

Old 04-10-2014, 02:42 PM
DavidOrtiz
4th Gear
Originally Posted by eaglebeagle
the top tier thing isn't on any mini requirement thing i've ever seen. I've even used no-name regular in my non-turbo once or twice when its all a station had, so i could get out of the middle of nowhere. no long term problems here!
Thanks for the post Zippy.

Eagle, is your MINI a 2008 (based on your signature)? If so, and you don't mind me asking. How many miles does it have and is it still going strong? I gather (based on your post) you haven't had any problems with it?

This is my very first one, so please pardon the questions. :(

Regards,
David

Old 04-10-2014, 02:50 PM
DavidOrtiz
4th Gear
Darn. :(

It actually calls it out. Second paragraph - last sentence.

Regards,
David

Attached Thumbnails Will Sunoco ruin my MINI or void the warranty?-image-200165416.jpg  
Old 04-10-2014, 04:04 PM
eaglebeagle
4th Gear
Thanks for the post Zippy.

Eagle, is your MINI a 2008 (based on your signature)? If so, and you don't mind me asking. How many miles does it have and is it still going strong? I gather (based on your post) you haven't had any problems with it?

This is my very first one, so please pardon the questions. :(

Regards,
David

i'm almost at 70,000 . worst thing ive replaced was a "vanos solenoid" and that was covered under my extended warranty. Car has never left me stranded, any issue i've had has been minor enough to just fix when i get around to it. (took almost a month to get the vanos even figured out, didn't bother anything as far i can tell, just didn't run as well til it was fixed)...
-just saw the other post: wow. its not in my manual. Regardless, the key word is "recommended" they recommend Castrol Oil too( i don't use unless its on sale), but that's a whole other can of worms/dozens of threads. I guess what i'm saying is just be smart and use a name brand, if it doesn't feel right try something else. if nothing feels right, get it looked at.

Old 04-10-2014, 05:29 PM
AZdsrt
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by rckrzy1

^^ rckrzy1 nailed it..

Old 04-11-2014, 03:39 AM
DavidOrtiz
4th Gear
Is it possible a bad batch of gas or a bad service station could cause the car to perform differently, even if it's brand new? I ask because I doubt deposits have accumulated on my engine with just over 1k miles on it.

Just for bells and whistles, I'm going to try BP 91 octane (same distance as Sunoco), which is exactly what it calls for in the manual.

Guys, maybe it's me .. but I remember the salesman telling me I could go to 50mph on 2nd gear, which I found incredible. I did it, and couldn't believe my eyes. Result -- MINI came home with us that evening. However, now it seems like I hear the RPMs more, even when I get to 30-35mph, where I feel I must shift to 3rd for fear I'll break something.

And so, I have a few questions:

1- What speed do you guys push second gear to under normal driving conditions?
2- Is it possible after they repaired my front seal (was causing a tranny fluid leak) that they put something back the wrong way to make him rev higher like this.
3- Or, as mentioned above ... Could the gas be causing such behavior?

Any advise will be much humbly appreciated.

Regards,
David.

Old 04-11-2014, 06:18 AM
danjreed
6th Gear
Is it possible a bad batch of gas or a bad service station could cause the car to perform differently, even if it's brand new? I ask because I doubt deposits have accumulated on my engine with just over 1k miles on it.

Just for bells and whistles, I'm going to try BP 91 octane (same distance as Sunoco), which is exactly what it calls for in the manual.

Guys, maybe it's me .. but I remember the salesman telling me I could go to 50mph on 2nd gear, which I found incredible. I did it, and couldn't believe my eyes. Result -- MINI came home with us that evening. However, now it seems like I hear the RPMs more, even when I get to 30-35mph, where I feel I must shift to 3rd for fear I'll break something.

And so, I have a few questions:

1- What speed do you guys push second gear to under normal driving conditions?
2- Is it possible after they repaired my front seal (was causing a tranny fluid leak) that they put something back the wrong way to make him rev higher like this.
3- Or, as mentioned above ... Could the gas be causing such behavior?

Any advise will be much humbly appreciated.
1 - Generally I'll shift around 3-4K RPM. I see no value in running any engine to redline at every gear. Sure.. now and then.. to pull away from a light when I am 1st in line and its safe.. I'll push the car to 6K RPM. But here's the thing.

Torque starts to drop off just 4,500 (I'm saying this is a stock R56s.).. Why push it past that point, you got all the power out of the engine torque wise.. And at 6K, the "pulling power" is long gone.. (I don't know what the values are for the Non S cars.. but I'm sure you can look it up..).. yes the car is "going faster".. but your not accelerating at the same rate anymore.

So, 3-4K, sometimes 4.5K it is for me. Every shift for the most part when I want to "go".

2 - No, absolutely not. Pulling an axle to replace a seal is a simple job that is not a "mini only" thing. Its every FWD transaxle car made has the same basic design. Nothing new, special, or "hard" about this job. Its just a seal. Seal + fluid. Nothing else parts wise. (ok, perhaps suspension hardware that was not reusable..)

3 - Highly doubtful. Unless the fuel quality is *so* poor that its causing the engine to detonate (pre-ignite) or misfire.

If its any help, I know that my own car has "changed sounds" over its life so far (I'm at 10K). Temperature has a lot to do with it. Super cold mornings in the winter the car would sound like crap. Now 70 degree days its smooth as silk. This is nothing new.

David, I think you are over thinking things, and are skittish over the minor axle leak. If the oil is full (I check mine bi weekly) and the car starts.. chances are its fine. Mini engines (the R56 series) tend to make a little more racket than most other cars. I chalk this up to the French part of the engine design. LOL.

Quick Reply: Will Sunoco ruin my MINI or void the warranty?