1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New, looking for Potential

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 06:02 AM
downthedrain
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New, looking for Potential

Greetings, I'm completely new to the MINI world but I thought that I might dive in and share the experience. Currently I'm selling my Twin Turbo Z06 due to family interests, and I needed a fuel efficient, good looking, fun to drive car. The Cooper S seems to be the best option for me. So, here I am.

What options should I look for and what should I avoid when looking for a Mini? I'd like to keep my price range under $10k and I'm prepared to buy used. I'm not experienced with BMW but I am mechanically inclined and have a full garage. What's the deal with working on these cars; difficult, easy, don't touch ? Any particular modifications I should stay away from, I'm not against performance mods but I'm not sure what mods on these cars turn them into grenades.

I apologize for the questions, but this is a new world to me.

Old 04-14-2014, 12:38 PM
ultrakill
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would try to avoid 1st gen Cooper S, as those have known transmission problems. Anything 07+ should be ok, but I would wait until some S owners chime in. You might want to head to the R56S (2nd gen mini cooper S) sub-forum and ask your question there.

Old 04-14-2014, 01:18 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by downthedrain
Greetings, I'm completely new to the MINI world but I thought that I might dive in and share the experience. Currently I'm selling my Twin Turbo Z06 due to family interests, and I needed a fuel efficient, good looking, fun to drive car. The Cooper S seems to be the best option for me. So, here I am.

What options should I look for and what should I avoid when looking for a Mini? I'd like to keep my price range under $10k and I'm prepared to buy used. I'm not experienced with BMW but I am mechanically inclined and have a full garage. What's the deal with working on these cars; difficult, easy, don't touch ? Any particular modifications I should stay away from, I'm not against performance mods but I'm not sure what mods on these cars turn them into grenades.

I apologize for the questions, but this is a new world to me.

I'd look at a '05-06(Supercharged, known as first gen) MCS or JCW manual only. Also, look at '11-13 MCS or JCW either trans is fine. Are you looking into just the hardtop?

The problems are with the 07-10 are the timing chain issues. They are just not worth the time and headache IMO. All models have issues but the known ones are with those years specifically. You can mod these cars just do it with well known vendors or good tuners when asking the community here. You'll be fine. Also, welcome to the MINI adventure

Old 04-14-2014, 01:32 PM
rckrzy1
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Knowing what I know I would not buy a used without a good warranty. Something as simple as a water pump takes pulling the front of the car off, bumper, cover, etc.
These cars are a nightmare to repair compared to any GM I ever owned.

Old 04-14-2014, 01:59 PM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by RobMuntean
I'd look at a '05-06(Supercharged, known as first gen) MCS or JCW manual only. Also, look at '11-13 MCS or JCW either trans is fine. Are you looking into just the hardtop?

The problems are with the 07-10 are the timing chain issues. They are just not worth the time and headache IMO. All models have issues but the known ones are with those years specifically. You can mod these cars just do it with well known vendors or good tuners when asking the community here. You'll be fine. Also, welcome to the MINI adventure
+1 For the '05-'06. The most realiable 'S' Model for the price range you're looking for.

EDIT: That was manuals only as Rob mentioned in the quoted post. The autos in the first gen MINI's left a lot to be desired.

Old 04-14-2014, 04:29 PM
downthedrain
1st Gear
Originally Posted by RobMuntean

This is exactly where I was looking, I read that the 6 speed manuals were bullet proof if treated well and the big issue i read was the strut mounts busting through and "mushrooming" fixable with some braces if i remember right. So far I've found an 05' w/ 77k stock for $10.5k and an 06 w/ 88k +mods for $11,250.

Both great people, I think I'll like the MINI community!

Originally Posted by rckrzy1
Knowing what I know I would not buy a used without a good warranty. Something as simple as a water pump takes pulling the front of the car off, bumper, cover, etc.
These cars are a nightmare to repair compared to any GM I ever owned.
Good to know, and thanks for the heads up. Is there a place that tells when most parts start to fail? Ex. water pump @ 150k miles...something along that line or maybe the service manual has it pretty close.

Originally Posted by Grizld700
+1 For the '05-'06. The most realiable 'S' Model for the price range you're looking for.

EDIT: That was manuals only as Rob mentioned in the quoted post. The autos in the first gen MINI's left a lot to be desired.
I leave the auto's to my wife, people who drive manual performance cars always seem to take better care of them. Well...majority of the time any ways.

In regards to parts failing, how common is the electric powersteering pump to failure? I've read a lot about them falling out, any way to just go manual steering? There's not a lot of surface area with the tires, so I'd assume that manual steering wouldn't be too bad.

Old 04-14-2014, 04:56 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 368 Likes on 311 Posts
Originally Posted by ultrakill
I would try to avoid 1st gen Cooper S, as those have known transmission problems. Anything 07+ should be ok, but I would wait until some S owners chime in. You might want to head to the R56S (2nd gen mini cooper S) sub-forum and ask your question there.
Some of this may be a little redundant but redundant is good sometimes, right?
The 1st Gen transmission problems were with the CVT gear box. The Getrag manual 5 spd in the Justa and 6 spd in the S are rock solid.
The Prince engine used in the 2nd Gen motors is the one with the intake carbon problems and timing chain failure.
In addition, the only MINI worth owning is the Cabrio. Topless motoring is motoring at it's absolute best.
One of the best and first mods for any MINI is a stiffer rear sway bar.

Old 04-14-2014, 05:14 PM
downthedrain
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Fly'n Brick
Some of this may be a little redundant but redundant is good sometimes, right?
The 1st Gen transmission problems were with the CVT gear box. The Getrag manual 5 spd in the Justa and 6 spd in the S are rock solid.
The Prince engine used in the 2nd Gen motors is the one with the intake carbon problems and timing chain failure.
In addition, the only MINI worth owning is the Cabrio. Topless motoring is motoring at it's absolute best.
One of the best and first mods for any MINI is a stiffer rear sway bar.
Topless motoring eh? That's why I have a Speed Triple

My friends are going to joke on me so hard: MINI, Triumph, BMW F800, and 3 Pembroke Welsh Corgi's LOL

Is there a lot of understeer with the coopers? I'd assume a tighter rear-end would benefit a FWD considerably.

Old 04-14-2014, 05:15 PM
rckrzy1
6th Gear
Manual trans is fine but clutches seem to fail
Way to early, many at 30k alot by 75k, again
Not your normal $300 clutch job, could be
$2-3k . Water pumps at 159k LOL, try 75k.

I forked out $16.9k for a CPO from MINI with
Warranty to 100k / 6 yrs for the 2011 hardtop S with
24k on it.

Old 04-14-2014, 05:16 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This is exactly where I was looking, I read that the 6 speed manuals were bullet proof if treated well and the big issue i read was the strut mounts busting through and "mushrooming" fixable with some braces if i remember right. So far I've found an 05' w/ 77k stock for $10.5k and an 06 w/ 88k +mods for $11,250. Both great people, I think I'll like the MINI community! Good to know, and thanks for the heads up. Is there a place that tells when most parts start to fail? Ex. water pump @ 150k miles...something along that line or maybe the service manual has it pretty close. I leave the auto's to my wife, people who drive manual performance cars always seem to take better care of them. Well...majority of the time any ways. In regards to parts failing, how common is the electric powersteering pump to failure? I've read a lot about them falling out, any way to just go manual steering? There's not a lot of surface area with the tires, so I'd assume that manual steering wouldn't be too bad.
Yeah those strut braces are only $150 I believe a very good insurance for the first gen. Now if the mods on the '06 are worth it to you so you don't have to put more money into the stock MINI, I'd say do it, and DO IT BIG:-)!

Old 04-14-2014, 05:19 PM
rckrzy1
6th Gear
Topless motoring eh? That's why I have a Speed Triple

My friends are going to joke on me so hard: MINI, Triumph, BMW F800, and 3 Pembroke Welsh Corgi's LOL

Is there a lot of understeer with the coopers? I'd assume a tighter rear-end would benefit a FWD considerably.
Yep my top down is a street triple R

Old 04-14-2014, 05:29 PM
downthedrain
1st Gear
Manual trans is fine but clutches seem to fail
Way to early, many at 30k alot by 75k, again
Not your normal $300 clutch job, could be
$2-3k . Water pumps at 159k LOL, try 75k.

I forked out $16.9k for a CPO from MINI with
Warranty to 100k / 6 yrs for the 2011 hardtop S with
24k on it.
75k seems to be the common denominator for wear on the First Gens. I'm not afraid to pull an entire car apart, as long as I can find a service manual with the specs. I'm going to make an assumption that the front cradle needs to be dropped to do a majority of the engine work easily?

Old 04-14-2014, 05:33 PM
downthedrain
1st Gear
Yep my top down is a street triple R
Oooo, i wanted one but I do a lot of high way speeds. Read they can get buzzy at high constant RPM.

Old 04-14-2014, 05:39 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
If I were in the market, this would be my #1 choice for today....

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-cooper-s.html

It's a low mileage Black Beauty.....(34,000 miles !!! )

Old 04-14-2014, 05:48 PM
downthedrain
1st Gear
Originally Posted by -=gRay rAvEn=-
If I were in the market, this would be my #1 choice for today....

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-cooper-s.html

It's a low mileage Black Beauty.....(34,000 miles !!! )

This is actually perfect, but I'm in Florida and shipping on top of the cost....adding up quickly.