1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This will be a short-lived thread.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 07:28 AM
DavidOrtiz
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This will be a short-lived thread.

Hello MINIacts,

As some of you may know, I was concerned before over which gas provider I should choose. Shell, Sunoco or BP and of course, the issue of TopTier and the list goes on. However, this is not the reason for this thread.

My sole concern is narrowed down now to just two octane levels. 91 vs. 93, and here's why ...

1. I was told by the service adviser when I picked-up my car that 89 was OK.
2. The same service adviser told me going with "93" would yield extra carbon on the out-take side (not sure what that means)
3. I have a base, MINI Cooper hardtop 6 speed, certainly not a JCW by far, or even an "S" model.
4. I switched from Shell V-Power 93 to BP 93 and the difference is amazing. Maybe placebo or a bad gas batch from Shell
5. I'm not looking to save a few bucks, especially when the costs per tank full is minimal between grades for such a small tank.

So my question is this: Can I hurt my base cooper using 93 instead of the recommended 91? (see attached manual image)

In closing, I'm going with top quality gas only. The only question is 91vs. 93, because if I absolutely must go 91, then I have to switch to Sunoco because they're the only one who carry that grade by me (not TopTier merchant).

In short, will 93 change the timing in my car vs. 91 and/or cause any undesired affects?

Any help, and/or advise will be much appreciated. This is the final chapter regarding the gas issue for me.

Regards,
David

Sent from my iPad Air using NAMotoring

Attached Thumbnails This will be a short-lived thread.-image-1246852205.jpg  
Old 04-13-2014, 07:45 AM
cadfael_tex
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That's the biggest load of crap from you dealer I've ever heard. Use either 91 or 93 without worrying. I use top tier when available but even good quality non-top tier won't hurt your engine. Manual states 91 or higher (IIRC or premium which is the same difference) and preference towards top tier - trust it.

Old 04-13-2014, 08:00 AM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Higher octane won't hurt Anything, even if it's not necessary it would just be a waste if an extra ten cents.

Old 04-13-2014, 08:15 AM
AndyPWR53
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think you're over thinking things. Its gas. Put it what they recommend and drive the thing. A higher octane is just to prevent pinging in boosted/high compression engines. It won't do anything positive/negative for your engine if you're not already experiencing issues.

Old 04-13-2014, 08:28 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
I was under the impression that higher octane rated fuel was for high compression engines. So a higher number indicates fuels resistance to detonation under pressure.

That said, if your engine is not of high compression there is no need and probably just throwing money away which could be better spent on mods.

By the way, the purported acceptable margin of error for Octane ratings in most states is .6, so 89 octane gas could range from low as 88.4 to a high of 89.6.

Old 04-13-2014, 08:52 AM
DavidOrtiz
4th Gear
Excellent advice team!!

I'm going with 93 then, since it won't do anything adverse to my engine or adjust the timing in a negative way. Besides, with the margin of error (as pointed out), I guess 93 is a fail safe.

Again, I'm really not concerned with saving a few bucks. Buying this MINI is already saving me money as follows:

Commute to work: 70 miles per day, round trip x 5 days
Former vehicle used: 2004 Dodge HEMI 4x4. Average cost to fill up 100.00 per week (empty by end of week)
New vehicle used: 2013 MINI. Average cost to fill up 48.00-52.00 per week (just below 1/2 tank remaining by end if week)

So you see, the MINI is already saving me lots. I'm not looking to save more by using cheap fuel in a small tank. Just wanted to make sure the 93 instead of the recommended 91 for a BASE model won't do any harm.

Regards,
David

Old 04-13-2014, 08:56 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by AndyPWR53
I think you're over thinking things. Its gas. Put it what they recommend and drive the thing. A higher octane is just to prevent pinging in boosted/high compression engines. It won't do anything positive/negative for your engine if you're not already experiencing issues.
+1
Just put this much effort into having fun with your car....
Your mini is a consumer product....Pretty mainstream...
Simply use products that meet the engineers requirements....
And have fun....
Do what "feels right" to you....
Have some CONFIDANCE.......
Remember....one convinced of an option against ones will is still of the same opinion...
And these conversations online usually have so few fact and so much "I heard once" or "been told" that little is really learned....
Sure it is fun....kinda like chatting at a party....but is really decided?!
Your book says 91 octane or better.....
Nuff said. Go forth and "motor"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-13-2014, 09:05 AM
DavidOrtiz
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
+1 Just put this much effort into having fun with your car.... Your mini is a consumer product....Pretty mainstream... Simply use products that meet the engineers requirements.... And have fun.... Do what "feels right" to you.... Have some CONFIDANCE....... Remember....one convinced of an option against ones will is still of the same opinion... And these conversations online usually have so few fact and so much "I heard once" or "been told" that little is really learned.... Sure it is fun....kinda like chatting at a party....but is really decided?! Your book says 91 octane or better..... Nuff said. Go forth and "motor"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Amen to that brother Zippy. Amen to that, my friend.

Regards,
David

Old 04-13-2014, 09:14 AM
DavidOrtiz
4th Gear
Interesting read, for anyone concerned. Some pretty interesting stats indeed. Some, I wouldn't have suspected.

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2...-gasoline.html

Thanks again everyone. 93 it is ..... TIME TO MOTOR!!!!

Regards,
David

Old 04-13-2014, 09:16 AM
BubbaJCW
4th Gear
@DavidOrtiz
This will be a short-lived thread

You were correct Sir.
You now have three (3) open threads about the same Octane questions!
All within four (4) days.
Although I love browsing multiple threads from the same guy worried to death about gas bought in America and the possible dirty ramifications of possible terrorists putting unknown stuff into it.........oh wait, you just want to use good gas, sorry I got sidetracked.

My advise Sir, stop worrying like the other 200 million drivers in America and pump in some smelly flammable stuff and start enjoying that ride.

Over thinking what I put into something, cost me three marriages so far!
Drive my friend, drive!

Old 04-13-2014, 10:18 AM
DavidOrtiz
4th Gear
Originally Posted by BubbaJCW
@DavidOrtiz This will be a short-lived thread You were correct Sir. You now have three (3) open threads about the same Octane questions! All within four (4) days. Although I love browsing multiple threads from the same guy worried to death about gas bought in America and the possible dirty ramifications of possible terrorists putting unknown stuff into it.........oh wait, you just want to use good gas, sorry I got sidetracked. My advise Sir, stop worrying like the other 200 million drivers in America and pump in some smelly flammable stuff and start enjoying that ride. Over thinking what I put into something, cost me three marriages so far! Drive my friend, drive!
That was funny Bubba. Well, I certainly hope it won't cost me my marriage of almost 26 years. Although my wife has made the following comment, "I wonder how long that honeymoon will last" whenever she sees me polishing my MINI.

Heck, it's a brand new car .... I think we ALL do that. That said, I haven't given my MINI a bath this weekend .... YET.

Oo oh: I did notice some black stuff on the inside of my tailpipe today. Wiped it with my finger and it came right off but looked like black dust. Could have been the Shell or maybe the BP I'm currently using. ***** HOWEVER, I won't go there.

Regards,
David

Old 04-13-2014, 10:52 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts
tail pipe soot is NORMAL on a MINI!!

Just trying to prevent ANOTHER thread...
Tailpie soot is normal on a MINI...
I use a bit of WD-40 on a rag to wipe it off....there are a million ways to clean it....
Now check your OIL, fill your washer fluid....and go for a weekend DRIVE!!
BUY FUEL where the road takes you.....and ENJOY!!

Originally Posted by DavidOrtiz
That was funny Bubba. Well, I certainly hope it won't cost me my marriage of almost 26 years. Although my wife has made the following comment, "I wonder how long that honeymoon will last" whenever she sees me polishing my MINI.

Heck, it's a brand new car .... I think we ALL do that. That said, I haven't given my MINI a bath this weekend .... YET.

Oo oh: I did notice some black stuff on the inside of my tailpipe today. Wiped it with my finger and it came right off but looked like black dust. Could have been the Shell or maybe the BP I'm currently using. ***** HOWEVER, I won't go there.

Regards,
David

Old 04-13-2014, 10:59 AM
BubbaJCW
4th Gear
@DavidOrtiz
Ha Ha
Black soot at the tail pipes.
Dude, my pipes on my Clubman are stone black all the time, 'crept for maybe two hours right after a wash - n - wax.
With the " Drive it like you stole it " spirited driving I do, they will be black for a long time.
I'm even thinking of plasti dipping them black, saw on a thread here where a guy did that, and they look very sharp!
But banging out the gears and between the brake dust, burnt rubber, and the exhaust, I'm wiping down something every three (3) days.
As for the honeymoon with the cleaning......she's right, my wife asked me the same.......I give it a year, then I'll drop back to once a week cleaning......heck that's better than the once a month for the OTHER thing.....right?

Last edited by BubbaJCW; 04-13-2014 at 03:43 PM.
Old 04-13-2014, 11:01 AM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
It's amazing how paranoid we get over the simplest things these days when it comes to our motors. Makes me almost envy the old days when they drove death traps without a care in the world, almost.

Old 04-13-2014, 12:01 PM
DavidOrtiz
4th Gear
Hey thanks everyone!

Guess I'm a bit paranoid because this is my first MINI and I absolutely love him!! I always admired MINIs from a distance because finances prevented us from ever owning one. Now, many-many years later, we finally ... own one and want to take care of him as I'm hopeful he'll be with us for many-many years.

As I said on another thread, this MINI takes me back to my college days when I drove a Honda CvCC. Which happens to be the car I used to teach myself to drive a stick-shift. I also remember on days when my battery died, I'd purposely park on a hill so I could roll down and clutch start it. Yes, those were the days, such fond memories.

I offer my sincerest apologies if my posts seemed repetitive and annoying. I was only seeking advice from more seasoned MINI owners like the folks here.

Thanks again everyone, for your time, feedback, advice, and above all ... patience.

Regards,
David

Last edited by DavidOrtiz; 04-14-2014 at 02:10 AM.