1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stuck in 3rd/4th Gear. Linkage Issues?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 12:34 PM
Metzsicles
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stuck in 3rd/4th Gear. Linkage Issues?

Hello all,

I just joined this community (and just acquired my first MINI not more than a month ago) so please forgive me wherever I may seem ignorant!

I purchased a used 2002 MINI Cooper (5-speed manual) less than a month ago, and unfortunately I'm already having issues!

About a week ago my shifter became very rigid (no shifting problems yet), and I optimistically attributed it to the progression from Winter to Not Winter weather (and having a 'new' car). A few days ago, I realized that my transmission was shifting into gears properly (1st when it should've been 3rd, 2nd when it should've been 4th, etc), and that it wasn't just me being sloppy/stupid. Unfortunately, the transmission is now stuck in 3rd or 4th gear. Clutch has no issues (dis)engaging to both of these gears, but I have no 1st/2nd or 5th/R. Furthermore, when in 3rd or 4th gear, the shifter now moves freely side to side as if there are no barriers between gears.

I purchased the car with 111k miles on it, and I've heard plenty of horror stories about MINIs having less-than-outstanding clutch lifetimes, but I am thinking this is an issue with the linkage system somewhere before the clutch? I'd prefer not to have transmission/clutch work done on the car (especially considering I just sunk the money into it) if I can avoid it.

Thanks

Old 04-15-2014, 05:26 PM
v10climber
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Sounds like a snapped shift cable. It's not unheard of and shouldn't be that expensive to have replaced. You'll have to get it to a shop somehow though. You can look on the top of the transmission and see the linkages moving while someone is moving the shifter. Or at least they should be moving.

Old 05-06-2014, 10:23 AM
Metzsicles
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Follow up... was Shifter Cable. Replaced both of them myself. Work required removal of battery housing, exhaust mounting bracket, separating exhaust from catalytic converter, and heat shield in order to access under-side of shifter housing.

Article used for reference.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...eplacement.htm

Thanks