1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New-to-me '08 MCS

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 02:15 PM
bofus
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New-to-me '08 MCS

Beware of the n00b.

Picked up an '08 MCS last week and am going through the whole "what did they customize" process and have a bunch of questions. I've done a metric ton of reading, but some questions remain.

What is it? A BRG MCS with white roof and mirrors. It has the full leather interior, LSD, and multi-function steering wheel. It does NOT have sport package, convenience package, or a sunroof. Shoe'd up with aftermarket 17" on Potenza RE970s. I have very recent receipts for a clutch and timing chain.

1) Squeaks from the suspension. I've identified an aftermarket rear sway bar has been installed. I didn't get calipers on it, but it is black and has three mounting holes and is currently setup on the middle hole. There are zerk fittings on the bushings, which I've now lubed. It doesn't seem to make noise all the time, we'll see if it comes back. I have a loud squeak up front but the bar up there appears to be stock and the mountings have no zerk fittings on them. I SUSPECT they are polyurethane bushings and could just need some lube? It is typically silent...until you wash the car, then it squeaks badly for about 20 minutes.

2) Bonnet/hood scoop is warped from heat of turbo. I've read that this was covered by the dealer back in the day, but I suspect I'm past getting any love from the dealer?

3) Rust spot on the top of the turbo where the oil input is (I think that is an oil line). Normal?

Obligatory photos; though, if you've seen one BRG MCS....

Old 04-27-2014, 05:36 PM
Mr. T
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcomt to NAM, bogus and congrats on the new BRG MINI. Sounds like you have a little house keeping to do on this new MINI of yours. Thanks for the pics by the way. We just love pics here at NAM. Your MINI looks fantastic and I'm sure the overall appearance will only improve once you've given it your touch. Don't forget to post pics of the process.

While I'm not the expert, I'm sure they'll be along soon to give you their opinion and much more important, their advise. Happy motoring and keep us posted to your progress. Please don't forget to promote the MINI wave.