1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 06:25 PM
OhEmGeeRachael
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh well hello!
I apologize if my forum etiquette is incorrect, but I just joined this site today.
I purchased a sweet '08 Mini Cooper S convertible in September of last year and, though I am LOVING it, I received a not-so-sweet 80K inspection list of problems today.
Bottom line: I'd like to hear from someone about the necessity of picking up the Bentley manual for my car, the time these jobs will take, and the overall benefit of doing these repairs at home versus some dude making a fat paycheck working at the dealership. My boyfriend is an amateur Volkswagen mechanic, well equipped to complete these items given the proper information.
Problems listed:
Oil pan gasket needs replacing
Crank sensor O ring needs replacing (oil leak between the two)
Power steering fan seized

Again, sorry if this is beyond illiterate but I'm a Mini virgin (: looking to change that.

Old 05-16-2014, 01:31 PM
RobertJ
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All these issues are DIY projects, and can be taken on by a compenent shade tree mechanic. A Bentley manual is a must have as well as searches of forums such as this. Chances are, these have all been covered here already in some fashion. All three issues are very common with our Minis. Also, the more you read here the more you'll learn about other pitfalls such as timing chain issues, etc.

Welcome to the forum, and good luck with your Mini!

Old 05-16-2014, 09:41 PM
RockAZ
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Welcome to the forum! These issues can be done without a manual just from some basic automotive skills. This forum has some info on the specifics as does the internet at large.

The Chilton or Haynes manuals are filled with about 50% generic take care of your car/safety advice, some blurry pictures and often psychotic segues from one model to another. The Bentley manuals have it all, no compromises, I have had one for every Volkswagen, Range Rover and Jaguar I have ever owned but due to the wonderful circumstance of my Mini not having a single problem I do not own that one yet.

The "S" typically has some serious maintenance issues that are well documented here on the forum, so your guy should invest his time here since there is better troubleshooting/problem avoidance advice here over the Bentley manual. Nothing I have said denies the high value of a Bentley manual if you are going deep into the engine or really need a close look at body electrics.