1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Mini owner from Austin, TX

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 11:39 PM
RiverCityRocker
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New Mini owner from Austin, TX

Howdy,

I was out shopping for cars the other day and was pretty much set on a Mercedes Benz, but I ran across an '05 Mini Cooper S and I bought it on a whim.

My ex-girlfriend had a standard Mini Cooper with an automatic transmission so I was pretty familiar with the car, but I bought the six speed manual. That being said, although I've driven motorcycles all my life and owned many muscle cars, I'm embarrassed to say that I didn't really know how to drive a stick. (my Novas and Camaros were all fitted with Hurst shifters).

I picked her up Tuesday evening, did some detailing and Wednesday afternoon I ventured out into my neighborhood. Didn't have too many problems. Basically it's the incline starting that I need to work on. Everything else is just gravy. Tonight (Thursday) I took to the highways and wound it out a bit. Practicing my shifting (and speeding ) skills.

Anyway, I've owned a lot of 70's muscle cars, mostly Novas and Camaros, an odd '73 Olds Omega, and an 86 Trans Am (the Mini is my first foreign car). They say there's no replacement for displacement, but this Mini is quick and it handles so much better than any of those beasts and on the plus side I can actually drive it daily because it's not a gas hog.

So, that's the story on me and my car. I used to photograph a lot of SCCA events and other car club events all over the country so some of you may have run into me at a track somewhere. I worked for a company called Digital Race Photography.

I'm glad to be a part of the Mini community and I look forward to learning some things about my "new" car.

Old 05-16-2014, 06:33 AM
fridayxiii
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Congrats on your MINI, and welcome to NAM! First Gen Ss (R53s) are great cars. The supercharger whine is addicting, and as you've found: these cars are quick and ride on rails. The "go kart" handling is for real.

Check out the First Gen forums for any questions you have, or when the modding bug bites. Lots of good info on the easy upgrades you can make to up the performance even more.

Drive 'er in good health, and enjoy!

Old 05-16-2014, 07:16 AM
RiverCityRocker
2nd Gear
Thanks for the welcome. I always end up modding everything I have from my guitars to my cameras so I'm sure I'll be doing some things as soon as I get some money together. First thing is probably going to be roof rails so I can haul my kayak around, then fix some cosmetic things such as the faded hood scoop and cracked front bumper. After that, who knows?!?

Old 05-16-2014, 07:49 AM
lai8869
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congrats on the MINI. If you have time you should check out the Austin Mini Cooper Car Club. We are pretty active and are a great group of people. If u are free tomorrow we actually have a get together at the new Manor expressway opening parade and car show!

Old 05-16-2014, 04:21 PM
RiverCityRocker
2nd Gear
I have joined the Austin Mini Club. I won't be able to make it out to Manor tomorrow. I'm still not comfortable enough driving a standard transmission in a bunch of traffic. I'll be practicing more tonight when traffic is slow.

Old 05-16-2014, 09:03 PM
Mr. T
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome to NAM, RiverCityRocker and congrats on your new MINI. I certainly remember the days of learning to drive a stick. I remember one of my first new cars that was a stick. That's when I learned to drive a manual but at least i had someone teach me two week prior to taking delivery. Don't worry, the initial nightmare will seem but only a dream in a few weeks.

Hey! Where are the pics? You did mention working for Digital Race Photography, so no excuses now. Happy motoring and please don't forget to promote the MINI wave but remember, you'll need the other hand for the shifter.

Old 05-16-2014, 10:11 PM
RiverCityRocker
2nd Gear
Thanks Mr. T. I'm getting the hang of it pretty quickly. I know the theory from riding a motorcycle, it's just getting the hang of using different appendages. I haven't owned a car for about 5 years now so my muscle memory is attuned to the moto. I went to make a left turn yesterday and instead of hitting the turn signal I went to stick out my arm to indicate.

Basically I'm just learning to get my left foot in tune to where the clutch engages. After two days I've pretty much got it down. And nobody gave me a lesson at all. I figure at 40 years old I should be able to suss it out on my own. My friends are busting by ***** about it though.

I haven't had a chance to take any real photos, I've got my motorcycle in pieces ready to paint so I've been preoccupied with that. Hopefully I'll get the moto painted, clear coated, and back together tomorrow and then Sunday take the Mini out to the hill country for some photo ops.

Old 05-17-2014, 06:40 AM
Mr. T
6th Gear
I'm glad to hear that you're on the Waving Train, RiverCityRocker. If you consider yourself a true MINIac, and you're devoted to saving the MINI wave, please consider joining The League of Extraordinary MINIacs.

You can become a member here:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...y-miniacs.html

If you are a Facebook user, you can join us here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1404114396479123/

No big commitment, except your oath to help us in our endeavor to save the wave!

Old 05-17-2014, 09:09 AM
pmsummer
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Pictures?

Old 05-18-2014, 07:32 PM
RiverCityRocker
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by pmsummer
Pictures?
Here it is being towed away after the clutch failed on me. I've owned this car for less than a week and put approximately 70 miles on it.

Untitled by _JDT0505, on Flickr

Old 05-18-2014, 07:44 PM
pmsummer
5th Gear
Originally Posted by RiverCityRocker
Here it is being towed away after the clutch failed on me. I've owned this car for less than a week and put approximately 70 miles on it.

Untitled by _JDT0505, on Flickr
Chit.

Where's it being towed to, and is the seller covering it?

Old 05-18-2014, 08:04 PM
Mr. T
6th Gear
Sorry, RiverCityRocker. When we say pics, we mean all kinds of pics. As pmsummer asked, is this being cover by the seller?

Old 05-18-2014, 08:18 PM
RiverCityRocker
2nd Gear
I had it towed to my house. I haven't talked to the seller as the "dealership" is closed on Sunday, but my guess is that he's probably going to tell me I bought the car "As-Is". I spent all of my money on the car so I don't have near enough to cover a clutch replacement. And from what I've seen it's not a simple job.

Old 05-18-2014, 08:27 PM
pmsummer
5th Gear
I had it towed to my house. I haven't talked to the seller as the "dealership" is closed on Sunday, but my guess is that he's probably going to tell me I bought the car "As-Is". I spent all of my money on the car so I don't have near enough to cover a clutch replacement. And from what I've seen it's not a simple job.
You have legal recourse, barring abuse.

How many miles on the car? And quite frankly (mano y mano), were you having trouble getting used to a manual again (DON'T answer this question here)?

Replacing the clutch isn't much more difficult in a MINI than any other FWD small car. Dr. Beemer in south Austin is good, btw (OSIBT). But with the MINIMAL mileage you've put on the car (unless, of course, it was 'abused'), the seller should cover the cost.

Old 05-18-2014, 09:07 PM
RiverCityRocker
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by pmsummer
You have legal recourse, barring abuse.

How many miles on the car? And quite frankly (mano y mano), were you having trouble getting used to a manual again (DON'T answer this question here)?

Replacing the clutch isn't much more difficult in a MINI than any other FWD small car. Dr. Beemer in south Austin is good, btw (OSIBT). But with the MINIMAL mileage you've put on the car (unless, of course, it was 'abused'), the seller should cover the cost.
It's a high mileage car. 186K. But I was assured it was taken care of. The CarFax didn't show any red flags. The mileage put on the car by the previous owner was averaged out very evenly over the years.

I had NO problem whatsoever getting used to the manual. I drive a motorcycle every day. I don't ride the clutch, I don't rev it high, I don't race around.

The "dealer" is one of those "buy here pay here" lots. I paid cash. The owner seemed like a nice enough guy, but now that the deal is done I don't feel confident he's going to work with me.

In hindsight I should have bought the Mercedes I was looking at, but the Mini was sportier and better MPG's.

Old 05-18-2014, 09:10 PM
Mr. T
6th Gear
In hindsight I should have bought the Mercedes I was looking at, but the Mini was sportier and better MPG's.
And who's to say that you wouldn't experience a similar problem with the Mercedes. I'd talk to the guy about the issue anyway.

Old 05-18-2014, 09:16 PM
pmsummer
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Mr. T
And who's to say that you wouldn't experience a similar problem with the Mercedes. I'd talk to the guy about the issue anyway.
Yep. Here's hoping the best.