1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car not starting. I would appreciate any help

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 11:00 PM
bratsvt
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car not starting. I would appreciate any help

I recently became a mini cooper s owner but I do have a slight problem. I recently completely switched out the whole stereo system out. It had a harman kardon in it. I took everything out from the hu, all the speakers and the amp. There was nothing wrong with it. Everything worked fine. I just wanted a better sounding system. I replaced everything with all Kenwood excelon equipment. Kdc-x996 hu, kenwood 6.5 component speakers. Rear 6x9 are x693 . Two kenwood amp. X500 for the sub and x450 for the rest of the speaker. I also added a audio control epicenter. I ran completely new wire to all of the component. Here's my problem. After changing everything my car wont start. I turn the key on and everything lights up like it should but when I turn it over. Nothing, not even a click. I killed the battery in the process of installing everything. I had the key on which killed it. I was switching my power window up and down on the passenger side because the plug came loose and had a heck of a time getting it plugged together. I was using the window switch up and down to make sure it was plugged in right. I also here a slight buzzing sound under the dash now. I don't remember if that was there or not before. I also notice now is. Before when I used my key fob to lock the door it beeps now. It never did that before and another thing I notice is my wiper arm flashes now. It didn't to that before. My mini is a first gen 2003 s. Any help would be greatly appreciated. There's a mini cooper rally I would like to go next weekend and would like to get it fixed before then. Thank you for your time.

Old 05-19-2014, 12:35 AM
DRoc7822
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you replaced the battery? Or just tried and recharging it? Did you mess around with any of the grounds? Or maybe one of the grounds came undone while working?

Old 05-19-2014, 07:22 AM
Terryr
1st Gear
Starting Problem.

Originally Posted by bratsvt
I recently became a mini cooper s owner but I do have a slight problem. I recently completely switched out the whole stereo system out. It had a harman kardon in it. I took everything out from the hu, all the speakers and the amp. There was nothing wrong with it. Everything worked fine. I just wanted a better sounding system. I replaced everything with all Kenwood excelon equipment. Kdc-x996 hu, kenwood 6.5 component speakers. Rear 6x9 are x693 . Two kenwood amp. X500 for the sub and x450 for the rest of the speaker. I also added a audio control epicenter. I ran completely new wire to all of the component. Here's my problem. After changing everything my car wont start. I turn the key on and everything lights up like it should but when I turn it over. Nothing, not even a click. I killed the battery in the process of installing everything. I had the key on which killed it. I was switching my power window up and down on the passenger side because the plug came loose and had a heck of a time getting it plugged together. I was using the window switch up and down to make sure it was plugged in right. I also here a slight buzzing sound under the dash now. I don't remember if that was there or not before. I also notice now is. Before when I used my key fob to lock the door it beeps now. It never did that before and another thing I notice is my wiper arm flashes now. It didn't to that before. My mini is a first gen 2003 s. Any help would be greatly appreciated. There's a mini cooper rally I would like to go next weekend and would like to get it fixed before then. Thank you for your time.
When you say you killed the battery, do you mean you disconnected the battery while fitting your new stereo system ????? ALWAYS disconnect your battery when undertaking anything electrical. If you did not do that, you may have blown a fuse somewhere. Also make sure your connections to the battery are good. Disconnect and reconnect making sure of good connections. I always apply a smear of Vaseline on my battery posts prior to fitting, stops any corrosion.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:08 AM
bratsvt
Neutral
I recharged the battery. I messed with two ground on passenger side and one on driver side. Both side rocker panel area. To answer the second gentleman. No I didn't disconnect the battery. I had on accessory to see if I connected the door plug right. I was re plunging while my friend was working the switch up and down. I normally do disconnect the battery.

Old 05-19-2014, 12:38 PM
DRoc7822
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah I think you should go over the 3 things mentioned here. Check all the grounds you messed with it. Check all fuses to make sure you didnt blow one. And then if all else fails... maybe take the battery into a auto parts store (advance auto parts...autozone... napa... oreileys... etc) to test the battery to see its in proper working order. Otherwise... I got nothing for ya haha.

Old 05-19-2014, 01:33 PM
bratsvt
Neutral
I've checked all the fuses inside and out. They all looked good but I'll check out all of the grounds and most likely just get a new battery

Old 05-19-2014, 02:13 PM
bratsvt
Neutral
Thanks DRoc

Old 05-19-2014, 04:35 PM
minsanity
6th Gear
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I'm betting on the batt.

Old 05-19-2014, 11:57 PM
bratsvt
Neutral
Well to make a long story short. I finally figured it out. When I ran my speaker wires from the driver side door into the car. I knock loose my clutch sensor cable. Got it re installed and now it starts up again. Thanks for all your input but I do have one more question. Do I have to run a new power wire from my fuse box to my hu. For some reason its not holding its memory.

Old 06-19-2014, 08:35 AM
Kamonnate Phongpharnich
Neutral
I just changed my fuel pump last week . I have 02 mini mcs. About 170,000 miles on it