1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In the market

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 09:55 AM
kongjie
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the market

Greetings all--potential MINI owner here.

After driving my current 2000 VW Golf TDI for 14 years, it's time for a new car. If it were up to me, I might continue with the same thing.

But my wife wants something cuter, with an automatic transmission. And since she is the one who drives every day (I'm on a motorcycle), I can't really argue with her.

Her first strong preference was for a MINI. But the Golf broke down the other day and for the past week we've been renting a Fiat 500, which she unexpectedly loves. Me, I think it is underpowered and feels cheap. Plus I have a negative impression of Fiat reliability from as far back as the 1970s. I will say that the dash in the 500 is very nice--clean and a sweet-looking hard finish.

So beginning this weekend we will go a-shopping, and I'll try to learn from these forums.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:19 PM
Mr. T
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kongjie
Her first strong preference was for a MINI. But the Golf broke down the other day and for the past week we've been renting a Fiat 500, which she unexpectedly loves. Me, I think it is underpowered and feels cheap.
I share your opinion, kongjie. You know what they say, it isn't a FIAT unless something breaks within 5 minutes of ownership. You might want to look at the 2014 MINI hardtop

Old 06-07-2014, 05:52 AM
rjtrout2000
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a Fiat and a Mini, love them both. My Abarth is fast, fun, and relatively inexpensive. My Mini is quick, classy, paid for, and I modded it from the ground up myself, starting at 10k and continuing with over 111k on the odometer.

Stay away from a CVT Mini, won't end well for anyone. 07 on up auto would be fun. Fiat 500 sport would be a fun car too. Don't expect speed, just fun to drive and kind of unique.

Old 06-08-2014, 10:02 AM
kongjie
1st Gear
Thanks for the input. I would be going for a 2014 hardtop. My main objections to the 500 are that it feels a lot less solid than my Golf TDI, and also that for its small size its mpg is disappointing. The Abarth isn't an option as--unless I'm mistaken--auto transmission is not available for it. My wife is tired of shifting, unfortunately.

Old 06-08-2014, 06:53 PM
d.ryan1114
1st Gear
Please do not get a Fiat. I work for MINI and have had many Fiats traded in. It is very poorly made. Chrysler mini van rear suspension. There is no comparison in handling or quality. The Fiat looks like every corner was cut to make a buck. The 2014 is very fun and is quite more refined from the 2013. More BMW than ever. Hope this helps

Old 06-09-2014, 11:17 AM
ljmattox
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A MINI will definitely feel more solid; I'm Fiat-friendly, and spent a good long weekend with a 500 Sport A/T rental, but the overall structural stiffness is *very* noticable compared to my MINI. My MINI feels...well, like a little tank.

I'd cross-shopped these cars, but gave up waiting for the Abarth to be released back in 2012. I've no regrets with my MINI ownership so far (51k miles as of this morning), and I'm still rooting for Fiat to do well. To me it's more of another economy car choice, like the B-segment cars of the majors (Mazda 2, Yaris, Rio, Accent, etc.) but with some Italian flair. It is what it is, just that.

I'm less put off by the "Fiats of the 70's" reliability stuff; everything's come a long ways since then, Brit-built cars included. These new ones will make their own reputation, sink/swim, and pretty quickly. (And: I did own two Fiats in the 70's. A 128SL that was a blast to drive, when it ran. And, a 124 Spider that gave 80k miles of fun roads and long trips without an issue. I am aware that issue-free ownership was rare for these!).

HTH. Test drive a new Cooper, non-S auto. I loved the demo ride I had a month or two ago, very nice car, good performance, very acceptable auto trans behavior, still a blast to drive. Take the Fiat there so she'll get back to back impressions, perhaps. Good luck!