1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Mini for the Wife.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 04:53 AM
jadkar
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Mini for the Wife.....

Hello everyone... Figured I would join a Mini forum and start learning about these cars. I have a bunch of toys and my wonderful wife finally asked me when I was going to get her something to use for the Summertime. So I just picked up (actually picking up this Saturday) a 2014 S Convertible 6spd for her.

I am totally excited for her! We are very much a car family and this Mini will be an awesome edition. She's Ice Blue with black leather, Mini connected, weird black 17s, auto climate, stripes, carbon interior trim, and some other stuff.

I undoubtedly will have a bunch of questions and I will try to put them in the right places and search..... but..... right off the bat I am confused about one thing, this color. Why is Ice Blue not listed on the 2014 configurator? I can't find much information about the color. Was it a special color.... like a limited run??

Attached Thumbnails New Mini for the Wife.....-9021189536.jpg   New Mini for the Wife.....-9021189595.jpg  
Old 07-15-2014, 09:10 AM
hsautocrosser
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
MINI color availability changes a lot. The configurator is showing the 2015 model (it shows the model year in the PDF summary). Nice car. I like the wheels.

Old 07-15-2014, 01:01 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,100 Likes on 1,873 Posts
Nice Ice Blue , Look good. MINI Colors sometime run only for a short time and some are model specific , like for a year. get it before its gone. See "silk green" MINI . There are so many MINI colors.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 07-15-2014, 06:51 PM
Mr. T
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome to NAM, jadkar and congrats on your new MINI. It looks fantastic and thanks for the pics. Happy motoring and please don't forget to wave.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:26 PM
MINI_42
4th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Great looking Mini, welcome to the forum! Where are you located? If you're in the Woodlands, TX, apparently it is strictly forbidden to wave at other Minis...a lot of pretentious ******* in this area. Wave, dammit.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:42 AM
jadkar
Neutral
Thanks everyone!! I'm from North West NJ and I wave, its actually funny because I'm waving all the time. I have a lifted Jeep Wrangler so I do the Jeep wave and I ride a motorcycle so I do the two fingers down to the side wave. I mostly get waves back except from the Harley guys..... they sometime flip the bird back

Old 07-16-2014, 05:14 AM
MINI_42
4th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by jadkar
I mostly get waves back except from the Harley guys..... they sometime flip the bird back
I thought that was just an Australian harley rider thing...

Old 07-16-2014, 10:28 AM
jadkar
Neutral
So I sent an email to the dealer asking them to please ensure they DO NOT mount the front license plate when they PDI the car.

I received and email back saying I was too late!! I can't believe this happens, I have an BMW M6 and a Acura MDX and the same thing..... without asking they go and drill holes in the front bumper!! I mean this new Mini was a Manager's demo, it has 3K miles on it and the front bumper was not drilled. Now, they go and sell it and I'm still 3 days away and they drilled the bumper...... I can't win with this crap. You would think since I am out of state they would have asked :(

Old 07-16-2014, 01:45 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
That stinks.

There are two hole marks on the front bumper that's painted over. They use those as a template to screw in the self tapping screws. You might be able to cap / fill them and get some Ice Blue touch up paint after they remove the plate holder. Or could ask them for a new bumper.

Good luck and I hope you can get it fixed.

Or you could take advantage of it and get a MINI marque plate and or plate frame.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Mini-2014-Cooper-R57-S-Convertible-N18B16A/Novelty_-and-_Gifts/MINI/Auto_Accessories/

Some example of a front marque plate.

Or use it with a frame plate or a front plate dependent on your state.

Click the link above for more options.

Thanks

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 07-17-2014, 04:24 AM
jadkar
Neutral
^^

Thanks for the tips. As for getting a new bumper.... I highly doubt it. I am picking up the car from a dealer in Maryland and I live in Jersey. As it is I am renting a car and driving down this Saturday 240 miles each way to get the car and get home before my wife so I can put a bow on it. There is no way I would ever be able to have them order a bumper, get it painted and then drive back down to have it replaced.

As for the vanity plates... I have never been a big fan of anything on the front of cars. Regardless however, in Jersey I have found if there is nothing on the front of the car the cops mostly leave you alone, maybe because sometimes they don't care and other times they don't notice. However if you go out of the way to put a vanity plate on the front instead of a NJ tag then you are more likely to get picked on. Its almost like you have no excuse at that point

Looks like my best option is to see if I can get some caps for the holes and have them painted Ice Blue..... such a shame.

Old 07-17-2014, 05:41 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
You are welcome. If you do decide to run a front plate, you have the plate frames linked above.

Thanks

Old 07-21-2014, 09:40 AM
jadkar
Neutral
Picked up the car this past Saturday, left NJ at 4:30am and got back by 3:30pm in order to surprise the wife.

This is the first Mini I have ever driven and I have to say the car drives amazingly. I'm a huge Honda CRX fan, I've owned 4 of them and still have my original one that I drove in high school. This Mini feels like the same sort of car just in a grown up more mature version. Crazy over abundance of personality.... it seems like there is no way to be unhappy in this thing. Not the fastest car in the world but it doesn't feel like its trying to be. It has plenty of torque and thanks to the short wheelbase it changes direction instantly. Loads of fun!! I also think after seeing the 2014 hardtop that the 2nd gen looks a little better, it's more "mini" than the newer ones which now look like they have a "fat lip".

Wife was completely blown away and she digs the color. We drove it all weekend and had fun learning all the cool oddities and features about it. Lowering the top with the remote control is really cool and one of her favorites thus far!!

Old 07-21-2014, 09:51 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Congrats on the new MINI. Looks very nice and looks like you received some MINI Motoring gear also. If you looking for more click our link above or below.:

http://www.ecstuning.com/Mini-2014-Cooper-R57-S-Convertible-N18B16A/Novelty_-and-_Gifts/MINI/

Enjoy your new R57, sounds like you already have.

Old 07-22-2014, 06:57 PM
Mr. T
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jadkar
Nice job, jadkar. She looks completely happy. I gotta say, the bow is a great touch. Happy motoring and don't forget to wave.