1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First post - from The Rocket City

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 12:10 PM
wrmoore47
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First post - from The Rocket City

I'm getting serious about buying a MINI Cooper, probably 2010-2013, manual, maybe S model. Just found this forum and I'm starting to find my way around. I'll be looking for answers to the following questions. If you can point me to those answers, I'd really appreciate it.

1. We have a BMW dealer in town which does not carry MINIs. Is that unusual? Can they do MINI maintenance under warranty?

2. If I can't get maintenance at the BMW dealership, are there non-dealer shops that can do MINI maintenance under warranty and do the "free" maintenance that is included in the purchase. I know this doesn't matter for the older MINIs. The nearest MINI dealers are about 90 miles from here and driving there for maintenance is not going to work for me.

3. At first I thought the S model came with the 2L, 4 cyl. engine, but apparently that's not necessarily so. So what option yields the 2L engine?

Thanks for any input. Meanwhile I'll be browsing the ton of info here!

Randy

Old 08-05-2014, 03:29 PM
Speedster
1st Gear
I'm looking for my first MINI as well and you ask excellent questions I would like to know about as well. I've learned a lot from the generous folks on this forum and I'm sure someone will weigh in on your questions.

I've noticed in my area that the MINI and BMW dealers are often different, although many are in the same auto group, just not on the same lot.

Today one MINI dealer told me I could try to get a BMW dealer to do work on my MINI (after I get it!) and submit the repair bills to MINI under warranty. I will ask my local BMW dealer if they could do that. My concern would be if the mechanics are good with MINI if they don't see them often.

Good luck with your search!

Old 08-05-2014, 07:04 PM
RussellW
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wrmoore47
I'm getting serious about buying a MINI Cooper, probably 2010-2013, manual, maybe S model. Just found this forum and I'm starting to find my way around. I'll be looking for answers to the following questions. If you can point me to those answers, I'd really appreciate it.

1. We have a BMW dealer in town which does not carry MINIs. Is that unusual? Can they do MINI maintenance under warranty?

2. If I can't get maintenance at the BMW dealership, are there non-dealer shops that can do MINI maintenance under warranty and do the "free" maintenance that is included in the purchase. I know this doesn't matter for the older MINIs. The nearest MINI dealers are about 90 miles from here and driving there for maintenance is not going to work for me.

3. At first I thought the S model came with the 2L, 4 cyl. engine, but apparently that's not necessarily so. So what option yields the 2L engine?

Thanks for any input. Meanwhile I'll be browsing the ton of info here!

Randy
1. No and Maybe. The BMW in Columbus GA will do non-warranty work on MINIs. It seems like a dysfunctional family. No one at the Montgomery BMW would deign to make eye-contact with me when I tried to check here in Montgomery.

Check with the Rocket City MINIacs at: <https://www.facebook.com/groups/RocketCityMINIs/>

The 2L began with the 2014 F56S

Last edited by RussellW; 08-05-2014 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Correct spelling
Old 08-08-2014, 04:27 PM
mini_wisconsin
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wrmoore47
I'm getting serious about buying a MINI Cooper, probably 2010-2013, manual, maybe S model.
Unless you're buying a car that is covered by the MINI Next program, I recommend that you change your search parameters to: 2011 - 2013. The 2010 MINI Cooper S model has the N14 engine and that means expensive repairs.

Old 08-08-2014, 07:24 PM
wrmoore47
Neutral
Thanks for all the good input! My search continues...

Old 08-08-2014, 07:47 PM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 179 Likes on 167 Posts
I was just in Huntsville... I have noticed more and more MINIs since my first trip down there over three years ago. (I always check to see what's for sale) but I haven't found or heard of a shop I could recommend.

I wouldn't hesitate to stop other MINI owners in parking lots and ask them.

Happy motoring!