1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help choosing between two mini's

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 07:13 AM
33tolive
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help choosing between two mini's

Hello everyone, first of all would like to thank everyone in the community for abundant information gathered here in these forums. I driven cooper S few times back in '05 and it was a blast, never owned one but always wanted one back in my mind.

I've been busy past two days researching and deciding between two mini's, and would like to hear your opinions and also, help me choose.

1. Is 2004 S Hardtop John Cooper Works, Manual transmission with 13k miles on it, in excellent condition and its going for $13k at my local dealership.

2. 2005 S Convertible Works, also has Manual transmission but with 55k miles on it. Dealer is asking $12k for it.

In the past I've owned and just recently parted away with G37s M, also had VW GTI M with stage 2 turbo flash and '08 VW Rabbit M.

Thanks!

Old 08-10-2014, 07:37 AM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Wow 13k miles on an 04 jcw! That would be my vote. Seems like unusually low miles though.

Old 08-10-2014, 07:42 AM
33tolive
1st Gear
Originally Posted by bavmotors
Wow 13k miles on an 04 jcw! That would be my vote. Seems like unusually low miles though.
Yeah thats what I thought too, dealer says owner barely drove and kept in the garage. Paint is still in top shape, interior looks good too.

Im going today to take a second look at it and make my decision. Hoping to drive away with my own mini tonight.

Old 08-10-2014, 07:58 AM
Mini3333
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car #1 would be my vote.

As for Car #2, most people never put the top down. Therefore, IMHO having a convertible feature, isn't worth dealing with the serious rear visibility problems you would have with this car (with the top up).

Are these cars at a MINI dealer?

Last edited by Mini3333; 08-10-2014 at 08:09 AM.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:24 AM
33tolive
1st Gear
Originally Posted by mini_wisconsin
Car #1 would be my vote.

As for Car #2, most people never put the top down. Therefore, IMHO having a convertible feature, isn't worth dealing with the serious rear visibility problems you would have with this car (with the top up).

Are these cars at a MINI dealer?
Thanks for reply and suggestion, both cars are actually at used car dealership.

Old 08-12-2014, 05:27 AM
jamez
5th Gear
Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
With either of the cars (car #1 being my suggestion), make sure to do your research and verify that it is indeed a JCW - not just badged with it. It's likely that both were dealer add-ons (vs factory which started late 2005) and because of such, the JCW won't show up on the VIN look-up tool.

There were different versions of JCW "kits" available and the combinations/permutations/kit changes and the ability to buy each piece separately makes it difficult to sort out a true first gen JCW.

If the 2004 is a real JCW, it will likely have the "200 hp" kit:

But it may have been converted later to the "210 hp" kit (airbox, larger injectors and 'tune' along with a slightly different SuperCharger with teflon coated vanes):

but technically even just the JCW "sound" kit could make it a JCW:

Here's a shot of what a traditional 210hp JCW engine bay should look like.

Note:
  1. The valve cover
  2. The airbox
  3. The intercooler cover / air diverter

and the JCW COA

JCW exhaust tips

Old 08-12-2014, 07:31 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 373 Likes on 314 Posts
There is no finer motoring than topless motoring. My first two cars were English roadsters. Drilled holes in the floor of the TR so I never had to put up the top. Wisconsin rarely sees tops down because most of the dropheads he sees are more than likely Miatas and that Chrysler thing. Those people don't know what motoring is.
There are only four reasons my top goes up.
1. It's raining real hard and I'm not doing more than 50MPH.
2. It's snowing real hard.
3. There's idiots throwing empty beer cans in the back seat.
4. I can't hear the SC whine over my co-pilots whining that it's too hot.
Hat, coat, gloves and heater, lowest top down temperature to date, 18°.
PS: Do a VIN check as suggested to make sure they are, in fact, of JCW livery.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:52 AM
jamez
5th Gear
Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Fly'n Brick
PS: Do a VIN check as suggested to make sure they are, in fact, of JCW livery.
The VIN lookup will not show anything JCW as it was a dealer installed option in all cars built earlier than the fall of 2005.

OP:Post pics of the engine bays if you want some help identifying JCW parts.

Old 08-12-2014, 09:02 AM
33tolive
1st Gear
Thanks everyone who contributed with reply's, I went for another test drive last weekend (first car did have JCW exhaust tips) I loved the ride but something was off, so I made an offer to the dealer (probably low balled them) they didnt like it.

So I walked out with a car that day plus I was in hurry to pick up friends from the airport.

Next day I check the same dealer site, and now JCW is gone :\ kinda bummed but felt right about not rushing with a purchase. After reading some people having issues with their mini's, I just didnt want to risk on 10 year old car as my daily. Now I'm looking to buy either new '14 mini or maybe go few years down like '10+.

Thanks again everyone!

Old 08-12-2014, 09:06 AM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
There is no finer motoring than topless motoring. My first two cars were English roadsters. Drilled holes in the floor of the TR so I never had to put up the top. Wisconsin rarely sees tops down because most of the dropheads he sees are more than likely Miatas and that Chrysler thing. Those people don't know what motoring is. There are only four reasons my top goes up. 1. It's raining real hard and I'm not doing more than 50MPH. 2. It's snowing real hard. 3. There's idiots throwing empty beer cans in the back seat. 4. I can't hear the SC whine over my co-pilots whining that it's too hot. Hat, coat, gloves and heater, lowest top down temperature to date, 18°. PS: Do a VIN check as suggested to make sure they are, in fact, of JCW livery.
Lol your crazy

Old 08-12-2014, 09:10 AM
quikmni
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
That is a tough choice. First you need to decide if you want a convertible, we cannot help with that decision.
The 2005 has a couple key improvements over the 2004 such as different transmission (lower 1 & 2 gear ratios) and adjustable rear control arms (adjustable camber). I am not sure when Mini broke in the coated supercharger rotors (originally a JCW only thing) but I think that was also 2005.
How important is the JCW type power to you (200+ HP) verse stock S? For example, I do not think the stock S has enough power. Do you plan to do your own mods, if so you can do performance mods to the 2005 conv to get JCW type performance.
The 2004 JCW price seems high to me so I am sure you can negotiate.
The low mileage is a good and bad. Cars need to be driven. Maintenance is usually done based on mileage so need to check what was maintained on a 10 year old car, such as oil, coolant, trans, and oil. Probably not much which could be bad. Tires and bushings still wear out.

Old 08-12-2014, 09:21 AM
MINIAC
6th Gear
Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by jamez
but technically even just the JCW "sound" kit could make it a JCW:

This is actually the parts diagram for the JCW Upgrade (200 to 210 bhp) Kit.

The JCW Sound Kit was for Cooper models.

Old 08-12-2014, 09:23 AM
33tolive
1st Gear
Originally Posted by quikmni
That is a tough choice. First you need to decide if you want a convertible, we cannot help with that decision.
The 2005 has a couple key improvements over the 2004 such as different transmission (lower 1 & 2 gear ratios) and adjustable rear control arms (adjustable camber). I am not sure when Mini broke in the coated supercharger rotors (originally a JCW only thing) but I think that was also 2005.
How important is the JCW type power to you (200+ HP) verse stock S? For example, I do not think the stock S has enough power. Do you plan to do your own mods, if so you can do performance mods to the 2005 conv to get JCW type performance.
The 2004 JCW price seems high to me so I am sure you can negotiate.
The low mileage is a good and bad. Cars need to be driven. Maintenance is usually done based on mileage so need to check what was maintained on a 10 year old car, such as oil, coolant, trans, and oil. Probably not much which could be bad. Tires and bushings still wear out.
Low mileage and just a gut feeling about the car threw me off from making a purchase that day. Plus car was registered in D.C dings on sides and rear bumper was scratched, here in D.C this city is notorious for potholes

Im not really in hurry, so just looking around for a right car and reading these forums make me want mini more and more

Old 08-12-2014, 05:08 PM
Mini3333
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There is no finer motoring than topless motoring.
Fly'n Brick,
The more power to you! Yes, I live in Wisconsin and every time I see a MINI convertible the top is up. And what I said is true, with the top up the rear visibility is limited.

Originally Posted by 33tolive
. Now I'm looking to buy either new '14 mini or maybe go few years down like '10+.
33tolive,
Unless you're the type of person that does your own maintenance, avoid the 2007 - 2010 MINI Cooper S model with the N14 engine. Also, the JCW used the N14 thru 2012.

New is the best way to go if you have the ca$h.

Old 08-12-2014, 05:33 PM
33tolive
1st Gear
Fly'n Brick,
The more power to you! Yes, I live in Wisconsin and every time I see a MINI convertible the top is up. And what I said is true, with the top up the rear visibility is limited.

33tolive,
Unless you're the type of person that does your own maintenance, avoid the 2007 - 2010 MINI Cooper S model with the N14 engine. Also, the JCW used the N14 thru 2012.

New is the best way to go if you have the ca$h.
Thanks! Saw few posts in regards to N14 but thought that was only related to '07 years, so thanks again for the heads up!

Old 08-12-2014, 08:44 PM
EIMTeal
2nd Gear
The only time I have my top up is...

When I am parked at work
When I am on a trip shorter then 5 minutes
Stuff is falling from the sky
Or it's too f'n cold.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:49 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 373 Likes on 314 Posts
Fly'n Brick,
You just have to accept that there are misguided souls where ever you go. I had to run some errands up in the 'big city' today and just because of this convo, I paid attention and counted 9 ragtops of various marques with tops down. Go figure...didn't count mine, so 10.

Old 08-13-2014, 02:51 PM
Harkness
1st Gear
I recently bought a 2006 Mini Cooper S with the Dinan package, so if your looking for instant power, get the JCW, plus the fact it has significantly less mileage on it.

Old 08-16-2014, 05:57 PM
33tolive
1st Gear
So I finally purchased my MINI '10 Cooper JCW British Racing Green with beige interior, I haven't had this much fun behind a car in awhile!! Oh my, this car knows how to take corners like a champ!!! Drive on way back home was more fun and enjoyable than the test drive itself haha.

Looking forward to worry free motoring from this mini

Attached Thumbnails Need help choosing between two mini's-9086497970.jpg  
Old 08-17-2014, 08:22 PM
quikmni
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Enjoy!
Happy Motoring.