1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New subscriber - seeking guidance

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 04:01 PM
JP1
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New subscriber - seeking guidance

Hello, my name is JP and I am new to forums of any sort. I have a 2003 Mini S with a peculiar problem with the right side turn signal lights that only flash when the brake pedal is applied. I"m hoping someone out there may have experienced the same issue and could share their findings.

Old 08-14-2014, 04:34 PM
Llanrhaeadr_Cymru
4th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by JP1
Hello, my name is JP and I am new to forums of any sort. I have a 2003 Mini S with a peculiar problem with the right side turn signal lights that only flash when the brake pedal is applied. I"m hoping someone out there may have experienced the same issue and could share their findings.
JP, no specific experience here, but there a many postings on NAM about odd electrical occurrences with an old or failing battery.

BTW, welcome to NAM!

Old 08-14-2014, 04:46 PM
patchelect
3rd Gear
Nothing specific, but questions. How long have you owned the car? Has it been involved in an accident. The symptoms sound like crossed wiring in a repair, or possibly the wrong bulb stuffed into the socket causing a strange reaction like that. If you just got the car, assume the problem to have existed at the sale but you missed checking it. I have heard of problems caused by miss-installed bulbs, but I'm not 100% on the Mini and whether it uses double filament bulbs or single bulbs for every function. Maybe someone stuck a double filament bulb into a single filament socket? There may also be a problem in the turn signal switch. They have caused problems on every car in some form or other. Again, don't just throw money at parts changing, but look at possibilities. Has an aftermarket stereo or alarm been installed? That may be causing the problem too. The typical installer is sadly inept and only following instruction with someone pressing them to get the job done. Those quick connect snap on taps are used and many times can cause problems even if years later.

Good luck on your hunt. Electrical gremlins are the worst to track down!

Old 08-15-2014, 08:26 AM
JP1
Neutral
thank you for responding. We have had the car for about 3 months and probably did miss this issue at purchase. for the most part it is all original, including stereo and no alarm. no accidents and the body is very clean. We discovered upon replacing a blown out brake light. The replacement bulbs are factory spec and the problem also occurs with the old bulbs too. I think the issue may be a poor ground. I was hoping someone may have run into a similar problem and could point me in the right direction.

Old 08-15-2014, 10:22 AM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 180 Likes on 168 Posts
Yes, electrical issues are the worst...

Do a full light test: left, right signals, parking lights, high beams, low beams, fog lights if you have them and the Hazard lights.

Is it only the right turn signal that is not functioning correctly?

I would check the light sockets for dirt/corrosion (clean with electronics contact cleaner or socket wire brush if heavy corrosion is found)

I'm just guessing here but I would suspect the hazard circuit. But that is only a guess, you will need to systematically check the wiring. Including the sockets and the bulbs.

Lots of fun, don't be in a hurry.

Best of luck with it, I hope it is some thing simple, like the wrong bulb installed ...

Old 08-15-2014, 10:57 AM
JP1
Neutral
i checked all lights (brakes, headlights - low/high, fog, emergency, etc.) the only lights not working properly are front and back passenger side turn signals (unless i apply the brake). all contacts look very clean. i'll keep plugging away. thank you for commenting.