1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Issue after jump start

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 04:55 AM
Sean Mellors
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Issue after jump start

Hi Guys I am new to these forums in a posting role.

My wife drives a 2003 Mini One with 70k on the clock, we bought is 4 months ago with a faulty gearbox but I changed the clutch and was spot on. I cant help but think though that the best solution for this car would be to sell it quickly...

Anyway to the issue, the Mrs has been complaining that there was a whining noise from the car when running, however i investigated being mechanically minded and found it to be the unusual designed power steering pump cooling fan which sounds awful but hey ho, she later reported that the steering was getting very stiff at times and then was fine so i was aware it would likely be the pump on its way out, she arrived home from work last week shut the car off and the PSP cooling fan was still running, eventually the battery run flat but due to work commitments i was unable to do anything about it.

Last night i arrived home and set about jumping the car off with the intention of disconnecting the power supply to the pump to at least allow her to drive it to work albeit with no power steering for a short period of time. So connected the car up with the jump leads and the car started immediately and ran fine for maybe 5 minutes whilst i disconnected the leads and prepared to go for a ride to re power the battery before introducing a full charge, may i add the fan started as soon as i connected the battery to the jump leads so i knew there was a serious fault with the PSP unit. Anyway i shut the car off and restarted absolutely no problem so cut the power again whilst i moved the jumper out of the way, then when I went to restart it didn't fire and ran the battery flat, so re-jumped but this time no fire up and there was plenty of power being received from the the jump battery because you could hear the tone of the cranking that it was not struggling off the power.

I have read other forums and seen that there are possible fuel pump issues which to be honest I dont think that to be the case. I have plugged it to an ODB reader and have the fault code P1692 but to be fair I was getting that fault whilst the car was running as i hooked it up before jump starting as i was hoping the PSP fan would show me an error.

I have read today that there is a fuel shut off switch which is what i am going to try later as it seems as though someone has just turned the fuel supply off.

Does anyone out there have any ideas what could be happening before i start chucking money at it please??

Old 10-06-2014, 05:26 AM
astroBlackMetallic_Mini
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
you need a new ps pump and fan most likely, otherwise you can do the "delete" mod and have no PS, which should be actually easier to turn the wheels than just unplugging the fan.

i thought 03s where known to have issues with PS pumps. maybe check with mini see if its covered under a recall or something. someone else will chime in here soon with more info too.

Old 10-06-2014, 05:33 AM
Sean Mellors
Neutral
Thanks for the response Astroblack.

So are you thinking the reason i cannot now start the car is due to the PSP Failure?

Old 10-06-2014, 05:40 AM
astroBlackMetallic_Mini
6th Gear
no, that could be something else.

did find this from another thread:

P1692 is considered a safety level code.
Electronic Throttle Control Monitor Level 2/3 Motorized Throttle Control and Fuel Injection Switch Off 'A'

you might have to reset the ecu / clear your codes before she starts

Old 10-06-2014, 05:49 AM
Sean Mellors
Neutral
Thanks Again, how would you reset the ECU? I did try the reset from my OBD scanner which it did remove the fault but it then come straight back.
Just seems really odd, also what do you suppose it means by fuel injection switch off 'A'?

Again thanks for your help

Old 10-06-2014, 06:24 AM
astroBlackMetallic_Mini
6th Gear
oh. well, if you cleared it with a scanner and it came back, must be something else.
give it a bit, someone with more knowledge will chime in soon

Old 10-06-2014, 06:26 AM
Sean Mellors
Neutral
Thanks For you info and time it is very much appreciated

Old 10-06-2014, 07:09 AM
Martin Brenneke
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You May need a new throttle body as the actuator may not be working properly. You may also need to check the brake switch as it puts info to ecu that works with throttle body.

Old 10-06-2014, 08:29 AM
Sean Mellors
Neutral
Thanks Martin.

To add a little more to the situation now the car will not even power up now, i returned to it after work and the power was dead totally, i hooked up the jump leads and began to charge but to my amazement there was no power still, when i turn the key there is power to the dash or anything at all.... stumped on this now, gonna try a tow later but think i am wasting my time as there needs to be power to even tow it off...........

Old 10-06-2014, 11:43 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
One bit of info...
Since the mini-one DOES have some differences from a base cooper, you might want to find somebody who knows something about them..it is not sold in the north American market.
Here in north america, we can only give you ideas based on cooper stuff...
Best of luck.

Old 10-06-2014, 12:00 PM
Sean Mellors
Neutral
Thanks Zippy I understand that this is the case, however given that the Mini One & The Mini Cooper S suffer from the same issues or near as, then the car is pretty much the same in terms as build up of the running gear etc, Cooper is more of a speced up model of any base mini hence why we all have similar faults, i appreciate to a Cooper S owner this is not what people want to hear but it is a sad fact that they are the same and suffer in the same way.... I have had the same faults as other people regarding the PSP so hence why i posted, however thank you for your input.....