1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

viiibbbrrrattion

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 02:15 PM
really huge
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
viiibbbrrrattion

So, here's the deal. Picked up a 02 mini, 95000km. Had to put new tires on, but several things had been done already with records. New clutch at 85000km. I had all fluids changed out. Car shifts beautifully. Problem is, when the car gets warmed up after 15, 20 minutes, you get awful vibration engaging first gear. I don't believe it's clutch related at all, but difficult to find "sweet" spot to avoid it. Thought good possibility related to engine mounts. Just had those replaced today. Same scenario. Disappointed to say the least. The only good thing that came of this is that the passenger lower mount had no hydraulic fluid in it. Is it possible things get better when mounts break in? I don't mind spending, if I get results.

Old 03-09-2015, 06:38 PM
really huge
2nd Gear
Kinda wierd replying on my own post. Took the car out and really played around and found it really likes around 3000 to comfortably engage in first gear (if its warmed up), not nearly that if its cooler. Is this a mini quirk?

Old 03-09-2015, 07:27 PM
two250
4th Gear
So you get the vibration when letting out the clutch into first gear?

Old 03-10-2015, 01:05 PM
really huge
2nd Gear
Yes, starting out in first gear, but only after the car has been driven about 20 minutes. No signs of anything leaking, I had all fluids replaced just after I bought it. Clutch is only 10 000 km old. Shifts beautifully otherwise. Idiot proof for that first while, then it seems you have to pay attention, rev higher or start out in 2nd to avoid the shudder.

Old 03-11-2015, 09:22 AM
two250
4th Gear
Sounds like it could be clutch chatter, mine does this but only when the car is cold. Once it warms up it goes away.

Old 03-11-2015, 09:33 AM
really huge
2nd Gear
See, and that's what's funny, because mine is the opposite. Starts when it's warm. Now, on a good note (fingers crossed). I went back to my mechanic, and when the young observing apprentice was unbolting the airbox so we could look at the tranny mount for damage, he noticed the clips were gone or broken off of the lid. Therefore, not sealed. I taped it up tight temporarily and the shutter seems to have gone away. Hmmm