1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Misfires!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 02:11 AM
MikeDYL
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Misfires!

Greetings to all you great, smart, adventurous owners of MC/S!
I hope this is the right place for me to be posting this.. I got my mini R56 N12 (chilli red w black roof) model 2008 in mid 2011 and have enjoyed every mintue of it..I am a filipino working in Saudi Arabia for several years now and truly enjoyed driving the streets and highways with my MC. I have often thought of upgrading to the latest MCS because of the thrill and fun this car offers. However, latety I have been having this strange instances when the speed slows down and feels like it is losing its power. Inhave developed a trick to go aroind the problem by turning off the engine and restarting it.. Its like rebooting a machine and all errors will disappear. I have not had the chance to have it checked by BMW/Mini service center yet but intend to do so soon. Coming from a short vacation in the US, I was able to get this Autel Obd2 diagnostic tool which read the following errors:

DTC ERROR CODES
P0599 - Thermostat heater control circuit high
P2096 - Catalyst fuel trim system too lean bank 1
P0300 - Random/multiple cylinder misfire detected
P0301 - Cylinder 1 misfire detected
P0302 - Cylinder 2 misfire

277D - Combustion misfire cylinder 2
2EE2 - Map thermostat activation
2775 - Combustion misfire cylinder 3 - not present
2771 - Combustion misfire cylinder 1

I hope you can help me resolve my problem.

Thanks.

Last edited by MikeDYL; 06-15-2015 at 03:54 AM.
Old 06-15-2015, 04:24 AM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 180 Likes on 168 Posts
Greetings and Welcome to the MINIacs!

Sounds like your car needs some invested attention... The first thing I would do is start by inspecting the connection of your main connector to the ECM. Clean and reconnect. Then do compression tests (dry and wet) of all four cylinders. When you pull your coil packs, inspect them. Also check the connections from the wire loom to the coil packs. Double check all the wiring, look for evidence of critters getting up under the hood and nibbling on the wires.

Anyway, that will give you something to start with...

(I spent a year in Riyadh... I don't miss the summer heat.)

Motor on!

Old 06-15-2015, 05:04 AM
MikeDYL
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi James,
Thank you very much for your reply/suggestions. I willmsee if I can beg off from my golfing buddies this weekend to work on my baby. But what I don't understand is the resetting process when I turn off/on the engine which works just fine as if nothing has happened. Can I continue with this work around or will it all the more damage the engine? I with the family and some close friends will be travelling to Bahrain soon.

Again, thank you.

Mike.

Old 06-15-2015, 09:14 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Welcome to NAM, Mike! Seems like you've got quite the misfire party going on. Have you tried to swap around the coil packs to see if they follow the pack when you switch them around? When's the last time those and the plugs have been changed? This is also the introduction area, so might try posting your issue/question in this section of NAM as well.

Click here to read about the P0599 Code. If the thermostat itself has failed, you can buy one here and here is a great DIY thread on NAM on how to do the replacement.

If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask me! Good luck.

-Luccia

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST