1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"New to me" 2012 Mini Cooper S, new to Mini

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 08:48 AM
iaregenius
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"New to me" 2012 Mini Cooper S, new to Mini

Hello everybody in the R56, I just inherited a 2012 Mini Cooper S and immediately fell in love with it.

It belonged to a family member that is no longer driving, several other people were using it off and on but it finally fell into my hands and I now possess the title.

I Have no idea what maintenance has been done to it beyond basic oil changes, etc (I suspect nothing)

It makes a strange rattling that sounds like it might be the shocks (maybe they're out) and the handling is still pretty tight and responsive but can be a little mushy and sloppy at times.

What would you guys give your attention to first on a mystery Mini with 64,000 miles? Thanks everybody!

Last edited by iaregenius; 11-22-2015 at 08:48 AM. Reason: to give thanks
Old 11-22-2015, 09:19 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,160 Likes on 906 Posts
Welcome aboard!
Great year MINI -

Rattles that sound like shocks could actually be sway bar bushing. Generally the shocks loose firmness; not rattle. Do a search on NAM for this. I know I have seen a few posts on this subject but can't say if they posted a fix.

Enjoy the new ride.

Old 11-22-2015, 09:36 AM
iaregenius
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Eddie07S
Welcome aboard!
Great year MINI -

Rattles that sound like shocks could actually be sway bar bushing. Generally the shocks loose firmness; not rattle. Do a search on NAM for this. I know I have seen a few posts on this subject but can't say if they posted a fix.

Enjoy the new ride.
Thanks I thought it could be bushings and thought about doing a full poly bush set on the car in the near future but wasn't sure where to start. I just realized I posted this in the general Mini forum instead of the R56 Hatch Talk, DOH!

Old 11-23-2015, 09:14 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Welcome to NAM! Are you hearing the rattle while going over bumps or at all times? Can you distinguish where it's coming from (front left, right, etc.)? Definitely check over all bushings for any wear. We are doing a sale on powerflex bushings for Black Friday/Cyber Monday so if you're looking to upgrade this sale might be just in time. Here is a good thread on NAM with service intervals for the R56 MINI. Be sure to check over everything and give it a nice tune up if you're unsure of what and when the last time things were serviced. If you need anything be sure to let me know and congratulations. Be sure to enjoy!

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 11-24-2015, 02:22 PM
iaregenius
1st Gear
Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
Welcome to NAM! Are you hearing the rattle while going over bumps or at all times? Can you distinguish where it's coming from (front left, right, etc.)? Definitely check over all bushings for any wear. We are doing a sale on powerflex bushings for Black Friday/Cyber Monday so if you're looking to upgrade this sale might be just in time. Here is a good thread on NAM with service intervals for the R56 MINI. Be sure to check over everything and give it a nice tune up if you're unsure of what and when the last time things were serviced. If you need anything be sure to let me know and congratulations. Be sure to enjoy!
It sounds like it could be coming from all 4 wheels. It reminds me of the noise I had in my BMW when my struts were bad. The car still seems to handle very well but there is some torque steer and the front end pulls hard when hitting bumps (this may just be the nature of the beast with these Minis).

Old 11-24-2015, 02:34 PM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Originally Posted by iaregenius
It sounds like it could be coming from all 4 wheels. It reminds me of the noise I had in my BMW when my struts were bad. The car still seems to handle very well but there is some torque steer and the front end pulls hard when hitting bumps (this may just be the nature of the beast with these Minis).
Ah, so would you describe it as a clunk more so than a rattle? The torque steer seems to be a common complaint. Are you still on run flats? There are a lot of threads on the subject. Check out this one here.

Old 11-24-2015, 02:45 PM
iaregenius
1st Gear
Ah, so would you describe it as a clunk more so than a rattle? The torque steer seems to be a common complaint. Are you still on run flats? There are a lot of threads on the subject. Check out this one here.
Yeah, rapid fire clunks on rough streets and the steering wheels gets really sloppy as well.

The tires don't specifically state run-flat, they are Yokohama YK580s which i believe are not. I imagine that it will all probably sort itself out as I venture into rebuilding or replacing pieces it's just hard to know where to start and what will be effected.

I want to do a 22mm rear sway bar which will most likely come with new bushes and add coilers but I also want to put 17x8 on it lol

Old 11-24-2015, 03:01 PM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Yeah, rapid fire clunks on rough streets and the steering wheels gets really sloppy as well.

The tires don't specifically state run-flat, they are Yokohama YK580s which i believe are not. I imagine that it will all probably sort itself out as I venture into rebuilding or replacing pieces it's just hard to know where to start and what will be effected.

I want to do a 22mm rear sway bar which will most likely come with new bushes and add coilers but I also want to put 17x8 on it lol
Sounds like struts/shocks to me, but could be wrong. The clunk noise struts/shocks make is pretty noticeable especially when going over any sort of bump. Mine were bad for a while and the clunking was extremely obnoxious. If you do decide to change them out the Bilstein Touring class shocks and struts are a pretty good replacement. A lot of members go this route when replacing theirs. When you do replace them be sure to replace the front and rear mounts. The thread I linked to, people suggested doing the Powerflex wishbone and lower engine mount bushings to help with the torque steer. The rear sway bar will be a nice upgrade for your MINI. It's definitely one of the best bang for your buck mods.

Old 11-24-2015, 03:08 PM
iaregenius
1st Gear
Sounds like struts/shocks to me, but could be wrong. The clunk noise struts/shocks make is pretty noticeable especially when going over any sort of bump. Mine were bad for a while and the clunking was extremely obnoxious. If you do decide to change them out the Bilstein Touring class shocks and struts are a pretty good replacement. A lot of members go this route when replacing theirs. When you do replace them be sure to replace the front and rear mounts. The thread I linked to, people suggested doing the Powerflex wishbone and lower engine mount bushings to help with the torque steer. The rear sway bar will be a nice upgrade for your MINI. It's definitely one of the best bang for your buck mods.
Thanks for all the advice I will be doing those bushes for sure, I was thinking about doing coilovers though. I don't want it slammed but I would like to see the handling more improved and I hear that's the way to do it.

Old 11-24-2015, 03:13 PM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Thanks for all the advice I will be doing those bushes for sure, I was thinking about doing coilovers though. I don't want it slammed but I would like to see the handling more improved and I hear that's the way to do it.
You're very welcome! Check out ST coil overs here. They're definitely a good bang for your buck coil over. I've installed these on everything from daily drivers to high horse power builds. A huge plus is that they're manufactured by KW so you know the quality is high. Still be sure to replace those mounts when you do the coils. You can also keep an eye open in the marketplace as some good parts pop up in there every now and then. Do note, when you lower your MINI you'll want to invest in some rear adjustable control arms as well to help with abnormal tire wear.

Old 11-24-2015, 04:05 PM
iaregenius
1st Gear
You're very welcome! Check out ST coil overs here. They're definitely a good bang for your buck coil over. I've installed these on everything from daily drivers to high horse power builds. A huge plus is that they're manufactured by KW so you know the quality is high. Still be sure to replace those mounts when you do the coils. You can also keep an eye open in the marketplace as some good parts pop up in there every now and then. Do note, when you lower your MINI you'll want to invest in some rear adjustable control arms as well to help with abnormal tire wear.
Do you think those ST coilers would be problematic with some 17x8 et38 wheels?

Old 11-24-2015, 05:17 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Do you think those ST coilers would be problematic with some 17x8 et38 wheels?
With the miles and work you are doing, you should replace the front lower control arm bushings. Also, if you are going that far on the suspension you should put in some IE fixed camber plates. Even on a stock suspension the lower bushings and the camber plates will transform the car.

The problem you are likely to have with the wheels you identified is they may not fit the rear wheel wells. I am running 225/45-17 tires on 7" wide wheels, 38 ET and they wore out the plastic liner and rubbed the metal on the wheel well arch on hard bumps and hard cornering.

Old 11-24-2015, 07:13 PM
iaregenius
1st Gear
With the miles and work you are doing, you should replace the front lower control arm bushings. Also, if you are going that far on the suspension you should put in some IE fixed camber plates. Even on a stock suspension the lower bushings and the camber plates will transform the car.

The problem you are likely to have with the wheels you identified is they may not fit the rear wheel wells. I am running 225/45-17 tires on 7" wide wheels, 38 ET and they wore out the plastic liner and rubbed the metal on the wheel well arch on hard bumps and hard cornering.
on outmotoring.com they state that the Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 17x8 et38 Will fit.

"We have confirmed that a 17x8, 38mm WILL fit on a gen2 MINI (R56, R55, R57, etc) AND we have confirmed if that the 17x7, 45mm offset WILL clear the JCW/ Brembo BBK."

I'm assuming they are referring to stock suspension. If I'm wanting to go wide and lowered while improving handling what would you suggest?

Old 11-24-2015, 08:00 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
I have seen posts of people with a variate of tire sizes, rim widths and offsets being able to fit on these cars. A higher spring rate, more camber and some combinations of tires, rim width and ETs will fit when, without these changes, they would not fit. I can only speak to what I have and bring it up here to help you to make a decision.

I have the stock sport suspension and suspension settings and I can now fit a 235/45x17 Toyo R888 on 45 ET wheels versus the 38 ET wheels they were on. This just fit both front and back. This is a very wide tire (check Tire Rack). I can't say how much wider you could go with a different tire and lower profile. It is also a function of the spring rate and camber you have.

Handling wise, the Toyo tires are pinched on the wheels and don't really handle much better than the 215/45 Dunlop ZIIs I have despite the difference in wear rating (the R888s are much softer). I run both of these on the track and have a feel for how they do at their limits. Point is, if you are going to go for ultimate handling the tires need to "fit" the rims. By fit, I mean they need to be at the rim width for the measured size. For an 8" rim, this will be wider than what I have and I can't say they would fit.

Sorry I can't help more. Maybe someone else can.

Old 11-24-2015, 08:41 PM
iaregenius
1st Gear
I have seen posts of people with a variate of tire sizes, rim widths and offsets being able to fit on these cars. A higher spring rate, more camber and some combinations of tires, rim width and ETs will fit when, without these changes, they would not fit. I can only speak to what I have and bring it up here to help you to make a decision.

I have the stock sport suspension and suspension settings and I can now fit a 235/45x17 Toyo R888 on 45 ET wheels versus the 38 ET wheels they were on. This just fit both front and back. This is a very wide tire (check Tire Rack). I can't say how much wider you could go with a different tire and lower profile. It is also a function of the spring rate and camber you have.

Handling wise, the Toyo tires are pinched on the wheels and don't really handle much better than the 215/45 Dunlop ZIIs I have despite the difference in wear rating (the R888s are much softer). I run both of these on the track and have a feel for how they do at their limits. Point is, if you are going to go for ultimate handling the tires need to "fit" the rims. By fit, I mean they need to be at the rim width for the measured size. For an 8" rim, this will be wider than what I have and I can't say they would fit.

Sorry I can't help more. Maybe someone else can.
This is very helpful, thanks

Old 11-25-2015, 12:54 PM
GP1735
1st Gear
Love the color!

Old 11-25-2015, 02:04 PM
iaregenius
1st Gear
Originally Posted by gp1735
love the color!