1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm back...

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 12:13 PM
ApexinM3
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm back...

After a long hiatus and multiple cars, I have returned to NAM with a newly purchased '06 MCS. I was active almost 10 years ago while I worked for Tate Mini but once I left the dealership I had to give up my demo ('06 MCSa Liquid Yellow/Black). I returned for a short while with an independent shop that turned into a disaster for many reasons that I will not go in to here.

Anyways, since then I've been living in Elkridge and commuting to Annapolis everyday. My DD is a '02 Toyota 4Runner - a great truck but gets truck mileage (read thirsty) and drives like the truck that it is - I decided that I'd really like to keep this thing for a while so a commuter car was needed. I'd just sold my '95 Jeep Wrangler, and as a result I had some cash to burn up.

I'd been debating what car to purchase so my criteria was 1) must be good on gas, 2) must be fun to drive, 3) either be FWD with a manual transmission only or RWD with either a manual or auto, 4) easy to work on, and 5) be relatively inexpensive to maintain. Having owned Miatas already, I decided they were disqualified as a been-there-done-that. I'd been looking for an '05 BMW 330i ZSP package but all of the ones I'd found were ragged out or were ridiculously overpriced (or both!) Other cars were Subaru Legacy Spec-B sedans and the Scion FRS.

As luck would have it, I was at the local Subaru dealer looking at an FRS trade-in when I spotted a lone Hyper Blue w/White top MCS with no tags on it. After inquiring about the car, it was originally not to be sold as it was deemed too old. I disagreed, told them I'd be interested in the car and to see if they could do a MD State Inspection on my dime, whether I purchased the car or not (it helps that the body shop I manage fixes their customer vehicles and I've worked with most of the employees there). The rest, shall we say, is history and $7,500 later I am the proud new owner of a well-optioned out MCS.

Upon digging on the car, I found out I was the one who did the initial pre-delivery inspection meaning I drove this car before the first owner had! Speaking of the first (and only until me) owner, they evidently cared for this car because it only had 95k on the clock and was garage-kept.

I've gone through the car and maintenance-wise it is up to snuff: LCAs are tight with no play, no fluid leaks though the thermostat housing is seeping a little bit (on the list to be replaced), and as soon as the tires are worn out I'll replace them with some decent ones (it currently has some garbage rim protector Chinese no-name tires that are better fit for a Prius).

The list of mods to be done: install a supercharger underdrive pulley (Cravenspeed 17%), MSD ignition coil pack, new wires, and one-step-colder spark plugs, K&N drop-in replacement filter, have the software updated by my buddy from what used to be Lucky Dog Garage, replace the weak stereo (done), install the rear fog light (the harness is there, and I've found a replacement switch bank), install the OEM driving light set I've had for the past 10 years (a warranty turn in that wasn't asked for back by MiniUSA), lighted sill plates (again, have had these for 10 years), 16" wheels (Rota Minilite replicas), and a thicker rear sway bar.

I'd forgotten just how much fun these cars are, and how much I enjoyed them. I'm also reminded that these things turn in to money pits with upgrades and stuff so I'll have to watch the budget!

Anyways, thanks for reading, and it's good to be back behind the wheel of a Mini!

Old 12-18-2015, 12:17 PM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Welcome back! Very interesting story. The fact you drove it back when it was new makes this buy perfect. Would love to see some pictures of it so be sure to post some up for us. Looks like you've got a good list of mods already. Congratulations by the way and be sure to enjoy. If you ever need anything let me know.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 12-18-2015, 01:14 PM
ApexinM3
3rd Gear

All shined up after hitting it with the foam pad

Looking sharp

Old 12-18-2015, 01:16 PM
ApexinM3
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
Welcome back! Very interesting story. The fact you drove it back when it was new makes this buy perfect. Would love to see some pictures of it so be sure to post some up for us. Looks like you've got a good list of mods already. Congratulations by the way and be sure to enjoy. If you ever need anything let me know.
Thank you and believe me, PelicanParts and my credit card will be fast acquainted very soon!

Last edited by ApexinM3; 12-18-2015 at 01:39 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-18-2015, 01:31 PM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by ApexinM3
Thank you and believe me, PelicanParts and my credit card will be fast aquatinted very soon!
You're welcome and glad we are going to be able to help you with your newly acquired MINI. It definitely does look like the previous owner took great care of it. Loving the chrome mirrors and looking forward to watching your progress.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 12-18-2015, 02:23 PM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Man she's shiny nice work

Old 12-18-2015, 06:39 PM
Black-eyed-Purple-Mini S
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
welcome back…Motor ON

Old 12-19-2015, 03:04 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 768 Likes on 626 Posts
Welcome back looks great

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

Old 12-20-2015, 11:04 PM
MiniRoadstah
5th Gear
Another impressive find. Paint. body condition and wheels are in amazing condition. Great buy. Love the first gen Mini. Impressive polishing job and exactly like the first new BMW generated Mini that a friend of mine purchased and allowed me to drive. I was hooked by the solid feel and quick response. Get some decent tires on that car as soon as you can... don't want one of those tires to go down. Damaged wheel would be no fun at all.

How's the interior looking?

Old 12-21-2015, 05:44 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,100 Likes on 1,873 Posts
Originally Posted by ApexinM3

All shined up after hitting it with the foam pad

Looking sharp
Wow, that's clean, Congrats.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 12-21-2015, 04:48 PM
ApexinM3
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MiniRoadstah
Another impressive find. Paint. body condition and wheels are in amazing condition. Great buy. Love the first gen Mini. Impressive polishing job and exactly like the first new BMW generated Mini that a friend of mine purchased and allowed me to drive. I was hooked by the solid feel and quick response. Get some decent tires on that car as soon as you can... don't want one of those tires to go down. Damaged wheel would be no fun at all.

How's the interior looking?
Thanks! Fortunately the exterior was in decent shape to begin with, so all it needed was a foam pad with a super light polish and then waxed up.

As for the interior? It's great! All lights work, no tears in the leather, the seat heaters work, and all is where it should be. Here's a pic just after I got it but before the stereo install:

It was bone stock in this pic but a few things have changed (not very noticeable except for a euro drivers side parcel shelf, aftermarket stereo, and a few chrome touches).

Old 12-21-2015, 05:06 PM
MiniRoadstah
5th Gear
Very gently used. The whole package looks near perfect.