1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New member with a new (to me) R50

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 04:36 PM
skucera
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
New member with a new (to me) R50

Hi, my name is Scott and I bought a 2004 R50 5-speed yesterday. This is my fifth British car, with my first being an MG Midget 1500 more than 25 years ago. I also owned a couple of Spitfires and a Range Rover Classic. I also owned a BMW 750iL for almost 20 years, so this Mini's Bimmerness seems very comfortable.

My new Mini is in very good shape, but it does have a few details to sort out:
- The OBC display in the tach doesn't display any text. The backlight is on, though.
- The driver's seat height adjuster doesn't work, which leaves my head very close to the headliner to brush my hair against it.
- I need to replace a couple front fender flare clips.
- I need to get another key made, which won't be cheap.
- I'm missing one hub cap for my car's R-82 Minilite-style wheels.
- I've got to hang the mini-spare under the tail end, since it's rattling around behind the back seat now.

Well, time to start scouring the old posts for answers....

Scott

Old 01-17-2016, 04:40 PM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Pictures please

Old 01-17-2016, 04:53 PM
skucera
1st Gear
It's been pouring rain all day here, so I haven't gone out to take pictures yet, but the craigslist ad is still up, so you can get some idea:

http://eugene.craigslist.org/ctd/5397926203.html

The pictures aren't big, but they're better than nothing.

Scott

Old 01-17-2016, 05:50 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 768 Likes on 626 Posts
Welcome, let us know if we can help.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

Old 01-18-2016, 10:27 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Welcome to NAM, Scott! We have the hub caps for the 8-spoke 82 in white HERE or silver HERE. Front wheel arch trim clip HERE. Let me know if you need anything else or have any questions.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 01-18-2016, 10:55 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,100 Likes on 1,873 Posts
Originally Posted by skucera
Hi, my name is Scott and I bought a 2004 R50 5-speed yesterday. This is my fifth British car, with my first being an MG Midget 1500 more than 25 years ago. I also owned a couple of Spitfires and a Range Rover Classic. I also owned a BMW 750iL for almost 20 years, so this Mini's Bimmerness seems very comfortable.

My new Mini is in very good shape, but it does have a few details to sort out:
- The OBC display in the tach doesn't display any text. The backlight is on, though.
- The driver's seat height adjuster doesn't work, which leaves my head very close to the headliner to brush my hair against it.
- I need to replace a couple front fender flare clips.
- I need to get another key made, which won't be cheap.
- I'm missing one hub cap for my car's R-82 Minilite-style wheels.
- I've got to hang the mini-spare under the tail end, since it's rattling around behind the back seat now.

Well, time to start scouring the old posts for answers....

Scott

Hello and welcome. Gen 1 owner here also.

1. Did you try to pump it down, is the lever cracked or spinning ?

2. https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...el-arches.html See wheel arches here, which clips. Make sure the clip mounts are not broken otherwise you will have to replace the whole arch.

3. Dealership - theft part

4. https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Sit...h/36136756676/ 36136756676 When you install there is a center clip part and a pin on the back side, line up the pin on the wheel insert and press the center in , should clip.

5. http://minicooper.wikia.com/wiki/Ret...er_Spare_Wheel

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=51_6480

check out 41117044685 and the bolt on top.

https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Sit...h/41117044685/

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 01-18-2016, 06:55 PM
skucera
1st Gear
Thank you all for the nice welcome.

Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Hello and welcome. Gen 1 owner here also.

1. Did you try to pump it down, is the lever cracked or spinning ?
I tried both up and down, but the lever moves only half an inch either way without affecting the seat height. I didn't want to force it and risk really breaking something beyond repair. Besides, my wife likes the current seat height. I'll take the seat out and check it some day when it isn't pouring rain.

2. https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...el-arches.html See wheel arches here, which clips. Make sure the clip mounts are not broken otherwise you will have to replace the whole arch.
The arch appears to be fine. The heads of the clips are broken off, so I'll have to remove those from the steel fender, but that shouldn't be challenging.

3. Dealership - theft part
Which part? The key?

As expensive as these keys are, I can see why folks would resort to thievery. I'm going to try to buy one off of eBay with a working transmitter, then look into getting the correctly cut blade inserted into it and then the car programmed to accept the PATS module's code.

4. https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Sit...h/36136756676/ 36136756676 When you install there is a center clip part and a pin on the back side, line up the pin on the wheel insert and press the center in , should clip.
Thanks for the hint. I'll be careful.

I think I have all the parts in the boot. It should just all pop back together.

Thanks for the helpful advice. Now I've got to look up how to adjust the headlight aim, because they're aimed right down at the pavement now, which totally sucks.

Scott

Old 01-18-2016, 10:05 PM
skucera
1st Gear
The rain stopped, so I went out to adjust my headlight aim and found that the adjusters where they attach to the reflectors are shattered, and the plastic adjuster screws are broken off. It looks like I need new headlights. eBay, here I come....

Scott

Old 01-19-2016, 06:11 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Or depo from us :

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...installed.html

Keys we dont carry, theft part, but the dealer can have ones made by you , they will need all your info. If you go the ebay way, some keys dont cut and make sure the battery is good , I used it on the 05"+ key but the older pre 05' keys i believe cannot be paired to the car easy.

On the handle it might be the strut under the seat or the gear. Unplug the battery and pull the seat out.

Wheel arch clips 07132757821, 07137036159, 07137036160

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...er-rivets.html

Thanks

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 01-21-2016, 07:44 PM
skucera
1st Gear
With the dry evening after work, I gathered all the parts for hanging the spare under my Mini's derriere, only to find that several parts aren't there. Hmm... it appears that my car may have been built with run-flat tires and no spare, and a previous owner started gathering the parts needed to retrofit a spare on this car.

I'm missing the latching cone (or whatever you call it) that goes on top of the tripod brace, so there's no way for the spring catch to latch on to the wheel when it is pulled up against the underside of the car. Also, there are no rubber feet on the tripod brace or on the plastic skid plate under the wheel. I'm also missing a big plastic bracket that is supposed to hold the wheel away from the underside of the trunk floor. I'm also missing a lug wrench, of all things.

However, I do have the foam pan full of tools and jack and wheel chock, but it's missing some bits and pieces too. Does anyone have a diagram of the parts that go in that foam pan? I can inventory it all with a diagram. I've also got a telescoping two-piece handle, but it appears to be for another car.

So, this little car looks like it has more little things to get into order the more I look it over....

Scott

Last edited by skucera; 01-21-2016 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Forgot some details
Old 01-22-2016, 08:32 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Originally Posted by skucera
With the dry evening after work, I gathered all the parts for hanging the spare under my Mini's derriere, only to find that several parts aren't there. Hmm... it appears that my car may have been built with run-flat tires and no spare, and a previous owner started gathering the parts needed to retrofit a spare on this car.

I'm missing the latching cone (or whatever you call it) that goes on top of the tripod brace, so there's no way for the spring catch to latch on to the wheel when it is pulled up against the underside of the car. Also, there are no rubber feet on the tripod brace or on the plastic skid plate under the wheel. I'm also missing a big plastic bracket that is supposed to hold the wheel away from the underside of the trunk floor. I'm also missing a lug wrench, of all things.

However, I do have the foam pan full of tools and jack and wheel chock, but it's missing some bits and pieces too. Does anyone have a diagram of the parts that go in that foam pan? I can inventory it all with a diagram. I've also got a telescoping two-piece handle, but it appears to be for another car.

So, this little car looks like it has more little things to get into order the more I look it over....

Scott
All the part and the diagrams are above, with the DIY.

http://minicooper.wikia.com/wiki/Ret...er_Spare_Wheel

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=51_6480

Just copy and paste the 111 digit part number into the search box on www.ecstuning.com

Old 01-24-2016, 10:50 AM
MiniRoadstah
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
A good work in progress. No pictures yet?

Old 01-25-2016, 06:57 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Originally Posted by MiniRoadstah
A good work in progress. No pictures yet?
Yea we need pics.

Old 01-31-2016, 10:02 PM
skucera
1st Gear
Sorry, still no pics. I did, however, adjust my broken headlights to point up to almost horizontal after an hour and a half of gentle persuasion. I don't know if it will last past the first speed bump, but I hope it works a little while.

Scott

Old 02-01-2016, 10:15 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Yea, try a zip tie if it will work to hold and get some new headlights, you have to have good functional headlight at night to see.

Old 02-01-2016, 08:18 PM
skucera
1st Gear
Zip ties... I hadn't thought of that. I've got nothing to lose on that other headlight. Hmmm....

Amazingly, my hack fix still worked past all the speed bumps in the parking lot at work! I could actually see road signs ahead of me on the drive home tonight.

Scott

Old 02-02-2016, 04:56 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Yea, it might hold it enough till you get another new headlight or headlight upgrade.

Thats good you can see, no lights hitting far on the road in front of you at night is dangerous.